Windows 10: Admin, not parent ,approving time in MS Family Safety

Discus and support Admin, not parent ,approving time in MS Family Safety in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, My teenage son is an admin on his laptop, but he is not a parent or organiser in MS Family Safety. My littlest boy 10yr has discovered that his... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Hedgefox, May 15, 2021.

1. Hedgefox Win User

Admin, not parent ,approving time in MS Family Safety

Hello, My teenage son is an admin on his laptop, but he is not a parent or organiser in MS Family Safety. My littlest boy 10yr has discovered that his older brother can approve additional time on his older brother's laptop because he is an admin on the machine. He eventually stole his brother's PIN and has been approving his own time. Is there a way to stop Admins that are not family organisers from approving time?Thanks,Ed

:)

Hedgefox, May 15, 2021
  2. joewurst Win User

Parent cannot approve additional time in MS Family Safety, Win10

I agree with the original poster. Removing this capability has made the time limits impossible for us to use now. If my son runs over because he is working on homework he gets kicked out of his account and can't finish the homework. The time limits are
    great for when he is playing, but we need to override them when he is using the computer for actual school work. It makes no sense to remove the functionality and the workaround is not helpful to the average parent. PLEASE fix this.

It leaves me to wonder if a parent was even consulted on Family Safety.

joewurst, May 15, 2021
  3. Parent cannot approve additional time in MS Family Safety, Win10

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

I suggest you try the steps provided below:

Just run Command Prompt as administrator, then use the "net" command:

• Open elevated command prompt (Right click on Start button and select Command Prompt Admin).

Set restrictions: net user Child /times: M-F,3pm-9pm;Sa-Su,9am-11am

Remove restrictions: net user Child /times:all

See current status: net user Child

The "net" command limits the logon hours, not limiting the usage time. Once user logged on during the allowed logon hours, Windows will not force the user to log off.

However, if a parent set a child account with time limit via Windows Parental Controls, the child will be forced to logoff after the time limit is up.

So, for the time being, there is no other way to set the time limit without Windows Parental Control. But, if you are bold, take a look at Windows Parental Controls API, and build your own app.

Setting logon hours using net command will only prevent users from logging in outside the allowed times, but will not lock their sessions or force log out when the logon hours expire.

To lock user session after logon hours expire, run the Local Group Policy Editor and set action to take when logon hours expire:

Press Win+R, then type
    gpedit.msc.

Under User Configuration ->
    Administrative Templates -> Windows Components ->
    Windows Logon Options, click on Set Action to take when logon hours expire.

Choose Enabled, then set the action to
    Lock or Logoff, depending on your needs.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, May 15, 2021
  4. Ian Ser Win User

Windows 10 Family Safety is blocking my browser!!!

Can you confirm if you are out of the Family Safety feature on your parent's account on this
    link? If you've confirmed that you're no longer on the list of monitored child accounts, we suggest deleting the Family Safety folder. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key + E on your keyboard.
    • On the address bar, type this address C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press
      Enter.
    • Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Restart and see if the issue is resolved.

Let us know how it went for you.

Ian Ser, May 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Admin, not parent ,approving time in MS Family Safety - Similar Threads - Admin parent approving

2. Family Safety: Installing software as the parent/admin into the child/standard account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety: Installing software as the parent/admin into the child/standard account?: Hello! I've set up Family Safety. My child has a standard account in Windows 11 Pro, I have the admin account. How does one install software onto the child's account when Family Safety is turned on? I had to change his account to an admin account, restart, then install...
  3. Family Safety: Installing software as the parent/admin into the child/standard account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Family Safety: Installing software as the parent/admin into the child/standard account?: Hello! I've set up Family Safety. My child has a standard account in Windows 11 Pro, I have the admin account. How does one install software onto the child's account when Family Safety is turned on? I had to change his account to an admin account, restart, then install...
  4. Family Safety Approval

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family Safety Approval: So, sometimes my parents are away from home or something when I ask for permission for something. How exactly do I know whether or not they have approved my request, because for as long as I have been subjected to MFS, I have never seen a notification telling me my request...
  5. Family Safety Approval

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety Approval: So, sometimes my parents are away from home or something when I ask for permission for something. How exactly do I know whether or not they have approved my request, because for as long as I have been subjected to MFS, I have never seen a notification telling me my request...
  6. Family Safety Approval

7. Microsoft Family safety app - approval not working

Microsoft Family safety app - approval not working: I have added Microsoft Family Features to my 9 year old son's new computer to monitor and track his usage. We can't get it to allow him to use the 'Minecraft Launcher' App.When he clicks to open the app, he gets the following screen:I as the parent get two notifications. One...
  8. Microsoft Family safety app - approval not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Family safety app - approval not working: I have added Microsoft Family Features to my 9 year old son's new computer to monitor and track his usage. We can't get it to allow him to use the 'Minecraft Launcher' App.When he clicks to open the app, he gets the following screen:I as the parent get two notifications. One...
  9. Microsoft Family safety app - approval not working

10. Family Safety and seperated parents

Family Safety and seperated parents: Can someone detail what are the important issues two separated parents might have with using Family Safety to manage their children? My son 11, is getting a laptop for high school. He currently has a desktop at my place configured for Family Safety. His account is a child...