Windows 10: ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder

Discus and support ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am the Administrator of this computer but why won't windows 10 allow me to access users file folder? Getting confused. How do I get permission to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CIZARCANLAS, Sep 9, 2018.

1. ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder

I am the Administrator of this computer but why won't windows 10 allow me to access users file folder? Getting confused. How do I get permission to open the USERS folder? By the way I'm using the NETWORK to access my other computers.

:)

CIZARCANLAS, Sep 9, 2018
  2. John Sarc Win User

how an administrator can give permission to access folders

Hi John,

To provide user/s an access to folders, see the steps below on how to do so:

• Right-click on the folder > Security.
    • Under the Group or user names option, click on the username that you want to have an access to the folder; then, click on Edit.
    • It will show you the page of permissions which you can allow or deny.
    • Choose your desired permissions and click on OK.

Let us know what happens after following the steps given.

John Sarc, Sep 9, 2018
  3. Error Access Denied while acessing the folders from User> AppData folders on Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with access files and folders.

Do let us know the complete error code/ error message of this issue?

As you have tried with providing the permissions to each folder and issue persists after the restart, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to disable the third party anti-virus software if installed any and check.

Step 2: As, as a work around, I suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account and check if this issue persists.

Steps to enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
       4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article with 3-diffrent issues related to accessing the files and folders and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 9, 2018
  4. ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder

Windows reports "You don't currently have permission to access this folder".

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

• Does this happen only with a specific folder/file location?

This problem results when an administrator, the owner of the file or folder, or a user with the Change Permissions permission for a file or Full Control permission for a folder, changes the access control list (ACL) on the file or folder. Some of the
    changes that could deny a user access to a file or folder they should be able to access include:

• The user or group was unintentionally removed from Group or User names on the file's or folder's Security tab.

• An explicit Deny has mistakenly been applied to the user or group.

• A conflict between share permissions and NTFS permissions was created when someone changes permissions without examining both types of permissions.

Method 1:

Let’s give permission to the folder and check if that helps. Follow these steps to give permissions to the drive.

a) Right-click on the folder which you’re unable to access and select Properties.

b) Click on ‘Security’ tab and under ‘Group or user names’ click on ‘Edit’.

c) Click on ‘Add’ and type ‘everyone’.

d) Click on ‘Check names’ and then click ‘OK’.

e) Select ‘everyone’ and under ‘Allow’ select
    ‘Full control’ and click on ‘Apply’ and Click ‘Ok’.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try the steps in the article and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

(Try the steps for Windows 8 as it is applicable to Windows 10 as well.)

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder

1. ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder - Similar Threads - ADMIN Permission access

2. User folder is missing + admin permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User folder is missing + admin permissions: Hello, I've purchased a new laptop with Windows 11 Pro installed. In order to solve a problem with Photoshop 2023, I am supposed to follow this path:Navigate to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 SettingsSelect that file File>Get InfoUnder...
  3. User folder is missing + admin permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User folder is missing + admin permissions: Hello, I've purchased a new laptop with Windows 11 Pro installed. In order to solve a problem with Photoshop 2023, I am supposed to follow this path:Navigate to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 SettingsSelect that file File>Get InfoUnder...
  4. Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally: I am part of Local Administrator group on a Windows 2016 File server. D:\ drive is shared named "NERC" with Share Permission as Read-Only for Everyone and Security Permission as Full Control to Local Administrator group. When accessing remotely like \\<servername>\NERC\ I am...
  5. Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally: I am part of Local Administrator group on a Windows 2016 File server. D:\ drive is shared named "NERC" with Share Permission as Read-Only for Everyone and Security Permission as Full Control to Local Administrator group. When accessing remotely like \\<servername>\NERC\ I am...
  6. Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISSIONS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISSIONS: HI, I HAVE BEEN HACKED BADLY AND THE HACKER HAS CHANGED USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISIONS BLOCKING ME FROM HAVING ADMIN ACCESS AND EVEN MY TROUBLESHOOTER IS UNACCESSABLE NOW AS I DONT HAVE PERMISSION TO FIX ANYTHING EVEN THOUGH IM THE OWNER AND SOLE USER OF THIS LAPTOP SINCE I...
  8. Revert the access permissions to another user's folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Revert the access permissions to another user's folder: Hi! I granted a non-admin user access permission to another non-admin user's folder. Now I finished transferring the files I needed to transfer, and I would like to revert those permissions to their original state. How can I do that? Thanks. submitted by /u/a_n_d_r_e_...
  9. Permissions to access folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Permissions to access folders: Hi, I have a 40Gb USB drive which I protect with Bitlocker. When I unlock the drive there are some folders (backups of every photo taken by my camera) which I am denied access to. I have logged on as Administrator (I am the Administrator) and followed all the instructions to...
  10. Standard user able to access Admin folders?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Standard user able to access Admin folders?: Hello, Not sure if this is by default, but I've noticed it on 3 different computers. 2 running Windows 10 Home, 1 running Windows 10 Pro. When logged on as standard user, I'm able to access the folders of an Administrator. I may get prompted for password the first time,...