Windows 10: Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files

Discus and support Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I went into properties and selected hidden files. When I did it scanned through my files for 4 minutes and then the user and all the files on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LillianBrown2, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files

I went into properties and selected hidden files. When I did it scanned through my files for 4 minutes and then the user and all the files on the desktop disappeared. I'm still logged into the user. Please help. How can I recover my user?

:)

LillianBrown2, Feb 11, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Feb 11, 2020
  3. {BA} Win User
    Files disappeared from desktop

My problem appears to possibly be unique, so I'm starting a new thread. Windows 10 user, have had it since the main release date (bought the computer with 8.0, so I welcomed the update!)

I am missing a couple of files that I saved to desktop. One is an .xls file (fusion.xls) that I've been adding data about every three weeks for two years, and the other is an .ods file (coffee fund.ods) that replaced one I lost earlier this year, that I've
    been adding a small amount of data to for a few months. I use OpenOffice 4.1.2.

I have now moved all data off of the desktop so nothing else disappears!

I've run easeus and recuva. Recuva found two versions of the fusion.xls file, but they showed to have not been accessed since over a year ago and were overwritten. Ran lots of different iterations of searches in File Explorer. Ran a Microsoft Safety Scanner
    full scan and found nothing. Followed all these suggestions from windowsreport.com (except the ones pertaining to updating to Win10 and the one disabling Fast Start) (sorry for the length of post, just wanted to cover all bases):

Disappearing Files And Folders On Windows 10

Solution 1 – Check the Users folder

After Windows 10 upgrade, certain files might be missing from your computer, however, in most cases they are just moved to a different folder. Users report that most of their missing files and folders can be found at
    This PC > Local Disk (C) > Users > User Name > Documents or
    This PC > Local Disk (C) > Users > Public

Solution 2 – Show hidden files and folders

If your files and folders disappeared, maybe you should check for hidden files and folders. Sometimes, files and folders might appear missing, but they are actually hidden. To show hidden files and folders, do the following:

• Press Windows Key + S and type File Explorer. Choose
      File Explorer Options from the list.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files file-explorer-options.jpg
    • When File Explorer Options window opens, go to View tab. Locate
      Hidden files and folders option and select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files file-explorer-options-view.jpg
    • Click Apply and OK to save changes.
    After you’ve changed this option, try searching for the missing files and folders on your computer. In most cases, the files should be in the same folder where you left them.

Solution 3 – Switch to your old user account

In some cases, files and folders might disappear when you upgrade to Windows 10 and that’s because Windows 10 creates a new account for you by default. Your old account is still present, but it’s not set as the default account, so you have to switch
    to it. To do that, follow these steps:

• Click the Start Button and click your username at the top.
    • You should see another account available on the list. Click it in order to switch to it.
    • After you switch to it, all your files and folders should be available to you.
    Solution 4 – Search different hard drive partitions for your files

After you upgrade to Windows 10, your hard drive letters might get changed for some reason. For example, if you used to store files on your C drive, they might be moved to D:\Users\Your_username folder on any other hard drive partition.
    In order to locate your missing files and folder, make sure to check all hard drive partitions thoroughly.

Solution 5 – Turn off Fast Startup

Users reported that Fast Startup can sometimes be responsible for disappearing files and folders on Windows 10. In order to fix this issue, some users suggest disabling Fast Startup by following these steps:

• Press Windows Key + S and type Power Options. Select
      Power Options from the list of results.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files power-options-1.jpg
    • Click on Choose what the power button does.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files power-options.jpg
    • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable and scroll down to
      Shutdown settings.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files power-options-2.jpg
    • Uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) and click
      Save changes

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files power-options-3.jpg
    Solution 6 – Change Indexing options

If random files and folders are disappearing on Windows 10, you might want to change Indexing Options. To do that, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + S and type Indexing Options. Select
      Indexing Options from the list of results.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files indexing-options.jpg
    • When Indexing Options window opens, click on Advanced.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files indexing-options-advanced.jpg
    • Go to Index Settings tab, and in Troubleshooting section click the
      Rebuild button.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files indexing-options-rebuild.jpg
    Solution 7 – Set the folder temporarily to hidden and read-only

When files and folders disappear from a certain folder, sometimes setting that folder to hidden and read-only can fix the issue. Before you set your folder to hidden, you need to make sure you can view hidden files and folders. In order to see hidden
    files and folders, check Solution 2 for detailed instructions.

To set a specific folder to hidden and read-only, do the following:

• Find the folder with missing files and right click it. Choose Properties from the menu.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files open-properties.jpg
    • In General tab go to Attributes section and check Read-only and
      Hidden.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files read-only-hidden.jpg
    • Click Apply and OK.
    • Right click the same folder again, and uncheck Read-only and
      Hidden options.
    • Click Apply and OK to save changes.
    • Enter the folder and the missing files should appear.
    Solution 8 – Check the AppData\Temp folder

Sometimes, files that disappear might get moved to AppData\Temp folder. In order to recover the missing files and folders, go to the
    C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\ folder. Users reported that missing files were located in jbtempx-7895.ixx folder, but they will probably be located in a different folder on your computer, so you might have to do some manual searching. We have
    to mention that you’ll have to reveal hidden files and folders in order to access AppData folder. For detailed instructions check
    Solution 2.

Solution 9 – Check your hard drive

In some cases, files and folders can disappear if the drive index gets corrupted. In order to fix this, it’s advised that you check your hard drive. To do that, follow these steps:

• Open This PC and locate your hard drive. Right click it and choose
      Properties.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files hard-drive-properties.jpg
    • Go to Tools tab and click Check Now button. Your hard drive will be scanned for errors. After the scan is completed, hidden files and folders should be restored.

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files check-hard-drive.jpg
    Disappearing files and folders can cause a lot of problems, and if you have experienced similar issues, feel free to try some of our solutions.

*** Moderator's Note: Post edited due to
    CoC
    violation. ***

4. Steevo Win User

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files

Task Scheduler Batch file

C:\Users\Username\Desktop

Make it hidden and run from user desktop, extract "Username" by writing it to a text file.

Steevo, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files

1. Admin User disappeared with desktop files when selecting hidden files - Similar Threads - Admin User disappeared

2. User file disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User file disappeared: I was going to show my hidden files in my User account so i can access AppData, but when it was completed the User account disappeared and the public was the only one left in the C: file. Is there anyway of putting it back? it was my very first account and a lot of data was...
  3. User file disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User file disappeared: I was going to show my hidden files in my User account so i can access AppData, but when it was completed the User account disappeared and the public was the only one left in the C: file. Is there anyway of putting it back? it was my very first account and a lot of data was...
  4. All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop: Hi all,My wife cleaned up my keyboard in the afternoon and then all the files on the desktop are not visible anymore, but they are visible in File Explorer > desktop. So I'm wondering if there are any shortcuts or settings that are causing this. Here are the steps I've...
  5. All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop

All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop: Hi all,My wife cleaned up my keyboard in the afternoon and then all the files on the desktop are not visible anymore, but they are visible in File Explorer > desktop. So I'm wondering if there are any shortcuts or settings that are causing this. Here are the steps I've...
  6. All files in Desktop are hidden, but are visible in the File Explorer> Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. A hidden hidden file?

A hidden hidden file?: Win 10 is telling me a folder exists that it doesn't show no matter what I click.I've been trying to install Corel Photo house 4.0 on Win10 but it keeps telling me that there's a .dll file missing that it can't load. I've tried recreating the folder in Win10 that it's looking...
  8. desktop files disappeared

desktop files disappeared: just reinstalled a fresh windows 10 onto my computer. it was fine for a little while, but now my desktop files are gone. i did a lot of things that i searched up regedit modification, tablet mode check, show desktop icons. but nothing seems to be working....
  9. Desktop files disappeared

Desktop files disappeared: I was working today and 3/4 if my desktop folders just disappeared. I have searched by name and they are just gone. I ran the hard drive check and it appears okay and they are not in the recycle bin. Please help!...
  10. Desktop Files Disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Files Disappear: Over the past week, my desktop has been acting up. My files keep being deleted from my desktop. I used Everything Search to see if the files are just being moved, and they're not. They're completely wiped out. I ran a Windows Defender and it didn't come up with anything. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how come my admin log in for my desktop disappeared