Windows 10: Admin10 and User10 'Access denied' after withdrawing Win7 user rights

Discus and support Admin10 and User10 'Access denied' after withdrawing Win7 user rights in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi guys, recently installed Windows 10 Pro 1809 on a second internal drive. All was well until I made a stupid mistake in Windows 7 that effects rights... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by win10trial, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Admin10 and User10 'Access denied' after withdrawing Win7 user rights

Hi guys, recently installed Windows 10 Pro 1809 on a second internal drive.
    All was well until I made a stupid mistake in Windows 7 that effects rights in Windows 10. *Banghead

PC:
    Win7 Pro SP1 x64 [Legacy] on 1st drive, two accounts: Admin7 and User7.
    Win10 Pro x64 [UEFI] on 2nd drive, two accounts: Admin10 and User10.

What happened:
    After I installed Win10 on the second drive, I was surprised and annoyed to see that User7 was not only able to access the Win10 partition in Explorer (after reboot and log on ), but also to change and delete things on that partition. So I denied User7 all access rights for the Win10 partition.
    Since then I not only get application startup errors in Win10, but both Admin10 and User10 are getting "Access denied" when trying to view the C: Win10 partition!
    I tried to undo the steps in Win7, but can't change the Win10 partition rights anymore. (Access denied)
    Ran sfc /scannow, which repaired things. Not sure what; CBS.log attached. That didn't solve the problem either.

My bad of course. I shouldn't have dabbled with things I don't really know enough about.... *Confused

So all help and suggestions are very welcome!

:)

win10trial, Feb 5, 2019
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

net user administrator /active:no keeps saying access denied.

Hi Rebekah,

It's possible that you're not using an elevated command prompt, causing the Access Denied error. We suggest following these steps to properly disable the built-in administrator account:

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste net user Administrator /active:no and press
      Enter
      . If the command isn't successful, please post a screenshot so that we can study it further.

Let us know if you're able to hide the administrator account after following these steps.

Yolvi Ell, Feb 5, 2019
  3. PeteSHP Win User
    net user administrator /active:no keeps saying access denied.

Can't send screen shot. Entering Command prompt(admin) get "Do you want this app..." box with NO as the only choice. I have tried everything I've found on the net to enable the built in administrative account to no avail. Running Win10 OS build: 16299.125.
    HELP!

PeteSHP, Feb 5, 2019
  4. Admin10 and User10 'Access denied' after withdrawing Win7 user rights

Error Access Denied while acessing the folders from User> AppData folders on Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with access files and folders.

Do let us know the complete error code/ error message of this issue?

As you have tried with providing the permissions to each folder and issue persists after the restart, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to disable the third party anti-virus software if installed any and check.

Step 2: As, as a work around, I suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account and check if this issue persists.

Steps to enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
       4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article with 3-diffrent issues related to accessing the files and folders and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

Admin10 and User10 'Access denied' after withdrawing Win7 user rights

1. Admin10 and User10 'Access denied' after withdrawing Win7 user rights - Similar Threads - Admin10 User10 'Access

2. MKLINK in C:\Users Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MKLINK in C:\Users Access Denied: I have Win 10 21H2 Bld 19044.1706. I did a Laplink PCMover transfer to new computer but it changed profile name from "john.WORKGROUP" to "john". Everything is working except a million links like "C:\Users\john.WORKGROUP\Documents\something.exe" so I want to make a link named...
  3. MKLINK in C:\Users Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MKLINK in C:\Users Access Denied: I have Win 10 21H2 Bld 19044.1706. I did a Laplink PCMover transfer to new computer but it changed profile name from "john.WORKGROUP" to "john". Everything is working except a million links like "C:\Users\john.WORKGROUP\Documents\something.exe" so I want to make a link named...
  4. MKLINK in C:\Users Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. win7 users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win7 users: possible to get users applied to my windows 7 ?? can any admin msg me .. i need also payment by manual paid.. for work of access control & CRC32 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-users/b99924f7-8e46-4ab4-8f3d-e1eeadb4f857
  6. win7 users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win7 users: possible to get users applied to my windows 7 ?? can any admin msg me .. i need also payment by manual paid.. for work of access control & CRC32 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-users/b99924f7-8e46-4ab4-8f3d-e1eeadb4f857
  7. "access denied" trying to copy win7 DVD to hard drive for install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "access denied" trying to copy win7 DVD to hard drive for install: So I'm trying to install win7 from an external DVD drive and it gives me that error about it "unable to create system partition" so I tried to copy the DVD to the hard drive but it said "access denied". How should I proceed? Thanks...
  8. Admin10 and User10 'Access denied' after withdrawing Win7 user rights

in Windows 10 Support
    Admin10 and User10 'Access denied' after withdrawing Win7 user rights: Hi guys, recently installed Windows 10 Pro 1809 on a second internal drive. All was well until I made a stupid mistake in Windows 7 that effects rights in Windows 10. *Banghead PC: Win7 Pro SP1 x64 [Legacy] on 1st drive, two accounts: Admin7 and User7. Win10 Pro x64 [UEFI]...
  9. Desktop (Win10) is denying me access to laptop (Win7) over network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop (Win10) is denying me access to laptop (Win7) over network: I just replaced my Win7 desktop PC with a Win10 PC and I'm trying to access my Win7 laptop over my network (wired). I can see the laptop in File Explorer, and when I click on it I can see the drives and top level folders, but if I click on any of them I get a Network Error:...
  10. Access to Users/Documents denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Access to Users/Documents denied: Hi all, Everything was working fine till now, then suddenly I get an error message that access to Users/jain/Documents is denied. I searched a bit online and I ended up unlinking my OneDrive account and enabling the hidden Administrator account to no vail. Its not just...