Windows 10: Administrator account - incomplete activation

Discus and support Administrator account - incomplete activation in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I tried to activate my Administrator account on a Win 10 HP Envy 700-414. I did this because I thought it would help me delete some folders/files... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Frank C, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Frank C Win User

Administrator account - incomplete activation

Hi,
    I tried to activate my Administrator account on a Win 10 HP Envy 700-414.
    I did this because I thought it would help me delete some folders/files from a local network external hard drive.
    These file were created by a Vista machine that I no longer have. I get access denied when I try to delete them. I can not change the owner or the permissions on properties > security
    The attempt to activate the Administrator account went horribly bad.
    It was partially created with only the recycle bin on the desktop. I had to do Ctrl Alt Delete to get back to my regular account. I did not capture the error messages - my mistake - and I can't find them in event Viewer. I don't know what log to search.
    Activation was by dos cmd :
    Net User Administrator/active:yes
    Since it was bad I followed with:
    Net User Administrator/active:no
    The administrator account was not completely deactivated.
    Is there a way that I can undo the mess that I made and get the administrator activated correctly?
    Thanks

:)

Frank C, Jan 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 Remote Desktop - The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote logon

activate administrator account and connect via it ..

you can activate administrator account via computer management or via cmd by typing this command

net user administrator /active:yes

ArslanAsif, Jan 22, 2016
  3. Administrator account in Win 8.1 gone after update to Win 10

I upgraded Vista to 8.1. The only administrator account I had was Administrator. With the update to Win 10 when I try to run as administrator only an account named Adam that I had created and never used comes up as it is an administrator account for my
    son. I do not remember the password so I cannot activate the administrator account to be able to use it. For security my account is a standard user account so I cannot run as administrator. How do I activate administrator again?

johnliquorish, Jan 22, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello Frank,

I'm not sure if you have already read through this tutorial but if not, it will give you a number of alternative ways of activating and deactivating the Admin account. Hopefully one of these other methods will work.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Jan 24, 2016
  5. Frank C Win User
    Thanks Philc43,
    I found the missing message by trying to use ADMINISTRATOR again. The desktop is blank except for Trash.:
    It is "the system cannot find the file specified" :
    c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop
    Looking at that location it is NOT there.
    Is there a way to recover the missing file?

Frank C, Jan 27, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    DId you try the other options for deleting and creating the Administrator account in the tutorial I showed you in post #2? If you have the Home version then Option 4 in the tutorial is the only other way you can try, if you have the Pro version, options 2,3 or 4 will work.

If there are system files missing it is worth running the sfc /scannow command in an elevated command prompt.

see https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Jan 27, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I know it's a little bit late to ask - but why did you feel the need to activate the built-in administrator account? Don't you already have an account set as administrator on the computer? You have to, because, to my knowledge, only an administrator can activate the built-in administrator account unless booted into safe mode where the built-in administrator account will be activated automatically if there is no other account set as administrator on the computer.

The built-in administrator account named administrator has no extra powers or privileges that a user account set as administrator does not have.

NavyLCDR, Jan 28, 2016
  8. Frank C Win User

Thanks philc43,
    I have home version. I did get Administrator working by copying C:\Users\Default\Desktop to
    C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile

I still could not RMDIR /S the "bad" files and folders from the EXTERNALDRIVE. I get access denied.
    I thought that the administrator account bypassed file/folder access checks.

I tried safe boot with CMD prompt on Administrator account. I get Device attached to the system is not functioning.
    Maybe I need both CMD prompt and networking in safe mode.

NavyLCDR
    I did think the Administrator account would bypass file/folder access checks. Yes my regular account has administrator privileges.
    As I said initially "I did this because I thought it would help me delete some folders/files from a local network external hard drive.
    These file were created by a Vista machine that I no longer have. I get access denied when I try to delete them.
    I can not change the owner or the permissions on properties > security"

Frank C, Jan 28, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    If it is an external drive, can you connect it directly to the computer instead of over the network? What device are these files physically located on?

NavyLCDR, Jan 28, 2016
  10. Frank C Win User
    Hi.
    I am spinning my wheels in sand.
    I tried the Administrator account in safe mode with network access. I used the RMDIR /S cmd against the problem files and folders.
    I still get access denied.
    I did this after I applied Brink's change to disable UAC for Built-in Administrator Account:
    UAC - Enable or Disable for Built-in Administrator Account

Then I tried to change the top level owner in the hierarchy of the folders that I am trying to delete.
    I got "The program cannot open the required dialog box because it cannot determine whether the computer named EXTERNALDRIVE
    is joined to a domain. The EXTERNALDRIVE is a Western Digital My Book World 2 TB on a local network.
    To the best of my knowledge none of my devices are on a domain. I can't even find my domain if it exists.

Frank C, Jan 28, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Usually on a NAS there are two levels of permissions. There are permissions set for network access - and those can be set for individual folders. Then there might be file level permissions just like the file was on a local computer. So - are the network access permissions set to allow your account through? That would be set using the NAS software, not Windows.

Also, does the NAS have a web access feature? Can you access the files/folders through a web browser?

NavyLCDR, Jan 29, 2016
  12. Frank C Win User
    NavyLCdr
    Yes, I can login to 192.168.1.3 this is the IP for the Western digital My Book.
    The login allows access to all of the controls for My Book.
    I don't think that it allows access to files/folders. I will in investigate that further. There may be some setting in MY Book that causes Windows 10 to see it as a domain device. It is only on a local network. Perhaps workgroup membership is the problem.
    Thanks for all of your help.

Frank C, Jan 29, 2016
  13. Frank C Win User

Followup,
    My Book does not have Domain identified. It does have Workgroup checked. In order to access files I would need to use MIONET
    on My book, I do not have a MIONET account or login.. However, there was a tick to enable MIONET on start up. I'll see if unticking this makes a difference.

Frank C, Jan 29, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    And attaching the computer and the My Book to the same workgroup (if they aren't) might help.

NavyLCDR, Jan 29, 2016
  15. Frank C Win User
    Still struggling
    Since Windows 10 is using HOMEGROUP instead of WORKGROUP as was the case in Vista. I changed WORKGROUP to HOMEGROUP in the Western Digital Mybook settings.
    It didn't help. I still cannot changed owner in the "bad" files and folders on the external drive. Windows cannot determine if ExternalDrive is joined to a domain. To the best o f my knowledge, It is not.
    I am going to try TAKEOWN and ICACLS using cmd prompt in safe mode with the Administrator account.

Frank C, Jan 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Administrator account - incomplete activation - Similar Threads - Administrator account incomplete

2. activate administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    activate administrator: Hello,i try to activate administrator on my local account but i cant put it when i write the command: net user "Administrator" /active:yes i receive a command: Access is denied.and my Account active is No also my pc have one account how can fix it? i use windows 11 22H2 OS...
  3. activate administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    activate administrator: Hello,i try to activate administrator on my local account but i cant put it when i write the command: net user "Administrator" /active:yes i receive a command: Access is denied.and my Account active is No also my pc have one account how can fix it? i use windows 11 22H2 OS...
  4. re-activate administrator account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    re-activate administrator account: I have been trying to remove the need for administrator verification in order to make changes to the laptop. Specifically, edit the Matlab program file in order to add toolboxes in the same directory directly from the command line use GitBash. I'm using an Dell xps 7590...
  5. active administrator

active administrator: how active administrator???????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/active-administrator/24f830d5-d809-4490-82d1-c86112c131b7
  6. Admin Account "Incomplete" Permissions with Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Admin Account "Incomplete" Permissions with Task Scheduler: I have a bizarre problem, and here are some basic facts: Computer: HP laptop, originally purchased with 64-bit Windows 10 Home Current OS: 64-bit Windows 10 Pro - upgraded after the initial purchase upgrade, not a fresh install I am the administrator on the computer, and...
  7. Activating an Administrator Account in Special Situations

Activating an Administrator Account in Special Situations: While using the existing ms account, the administrator account Administrator was activated with MS account with administrator privileges to delete files by changing the account. After deleting my ms account in Administrator, I created a new local account and deactivated the...
  8. No longer have an active active administrator account

in Windows 10 Customization
    No longer have an active active administrator account: Hi all, For reasons I can't understand, my local account on my Windows 10 PC which is not on a domain is no longer a member of the local administrators group it definitely used to be. The only account that is a member of the administrators group is the Administrator...
  9. outlook.com Account Is Active In Family Account but Account Creation Incomplete

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    outlook.com Account Is Active In Family Account but Account Creation Incomplete: I created an outlook.com account for my son and was asked for my outlook.com account. Wanted to manage this through Family account so this was fine. I admittedly took time to find my account and log in to verify it's still good, and then I added this email address to the form...
  10. Administrator active

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator active: When I will go to turn on administrator then it was shows the: system error 5 has occurred . And Access is denied. This problem if you solved then help me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-active/046409fd-dc4f-4e9b-870f-59020c18a161