Windows 10: Administrator account: Need to modify username.

Discus and support Administrator account: Need to modify username. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use a Surface Pro and a Surface. Both have different administrator account names and signin email addresses. I need to modify the Surface so that it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Luc Nocente, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Administrator account: Need to modify username.

I use a Surface Pro and a Surface. Both have different administrator account names and signin email addresses. I need to modify the Surface so that it uses the same email address and account name as the Pro. Is there a way to do this in Windows 10 without reformating the machine?

:)

Luc Nocente, Mar 20, 2019
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Mar 20, 2019
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    How to Edit/Modify Username in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community Forums.

When you create a user account, a folder also gets created and associated with the user account. You can change/edit the user account name, however the folder name will not change. The user folder name can be changed manually, however
    it could result in loss of data associated with the corresponding account. I would suggest to create a new user account and remove the existing one. To change the username, you must be logged into another administrator account. Given below are the steps to
    enable the built in administrator account.

• Click on Start button (Windows logo) and type
      Cmd.
    • Right click on Cmd and select Run as administrator.
    • On command prompt, type Net User Administrator /Active:yes and hit the
      Enter key which will enable the built in administrator account.
    • Sign out of your account after the above command is executed successfully.

Sign into the built in administrator account and follow the steps below to rename the account.

Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key and the
    R key together.

Type NETPLWIZ and hit the Enter key which will list all the user accounts active on the computer.

Select your user account name and click on Properties.

Change the User name in its corresponding text box.

Click Apply and Ok.

Sign out of your account and see if the username has changed on the sign in screen.

Once the user account name is changed, you can login to your original account and disable the built in admin account by running the following command in command prompt.

Net User Administrator /Active:No

As mentioned earlier, it is recommended to create a new user account instead of renaming the user account. Please refer to the article below, if you would like to create a new user account.

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows

Hope it helps.

Feel free to contact back in case you have any questions or need any further assistance with this issue.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Mar 20, 2019
  4. VBJP Win User

Administrator account: Need to modify username.

"You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this file"

Is your account in administrators group? can you edit that list and add your username with at least allow modify?

Thema:

Administrator account: Need to modify username.

1. Administrator account: Need to modify username. - Similar Threads - Administrator account Need

2. Administrative account- need help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Administrative account- need help: I can’t access my administrator account and I have one and only account which I can access is local account. I have been experiencing this issue for the past few months and it only showed me the system recovery point for yesterday. I have tried this following...
  3. Administrative account- need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrative account- need help: I can’t access my administrator account and I have one and only account which I can access is local account. I have been experiencing this issue for the past few months and it only showed me the system recovery point for yesterday. I have tried this following...
  4. Need help with administrative account

Need help with administrative account: I changed the administrator account to a standard account and the standard to an administrator account . When I tried to sign in it says that for the first time I am accessing the account which is not right. Later, I was asked to setup a pin for the new administrator account...
  5. Need help with administrative account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with administrative account: I changed the administrator account to a standard account and the standard to an administrator account . When I tried to sign in it says that for the first time I am accessing the account which is not right. Later, I was asked to setup a pin for the new administrator account...
  6. How should I modify the username on Win10?

How should I modify the username on Win10?: I found that my usernamethe one that appears under "C://Users/ on Win10 doesn't include the last letter of it; for example, it's showing up as "kitt," which should be "kitty". I thought I made some mistake while creating an account on the PC, but I'm logging in with Microsoft...
  7. How should I modify the username on Win10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How should I modify the username on Win10?: I found that my usernamethe one that appears under "C://Users/ on Win10 doesn't include the last letter of it; for example, it's showing up as "kitt," which should be "kitty". I thought I made some mistake while creating an account on the PC, but I'm logging in with Microsoft...
  8. Cannot modify anything in users/username/documents as administrator

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot modify anything in users/username/documents as administrator: Hello all, The problem i have is that games that are saving in the documents folder cannot create any files and therefore crash most of the times. I tried running as administrator but no luck, which seemed strange. And then i decided to have a look and i realised that i...
  9. Administration username and password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administration username and password: Hi, I bought an desktop computer from yard sale. When I got home and turned it on I found it was said wayfair on startup screen and asking for administration username and password. I can't get around it. I called the person I bought it from and she said the computer belonged...
  10. Changing Administrator Username

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Administrator Username: Hello, I'm having an extremely difficult time changing my username. My user account is the administrator and only user on the PC. My partner set up the PC for me and put in a placeholder name which we used under the assumption I'd be able to change it later. I've already...