Windows 10: Administrator account reset itself

Discus and support Administrator account reset itself in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi there would anyone be able to help? I was having issues with some desktop software and their support wanted to set up "hidden administrator" to... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by FoxAccountancy, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Administrator account reset itself

Hi there would anyone be able to help?

I was having issues with some desktop software and their support wanted to set up "hidden administrator" to test the issue. (My laptop had one user account, which is the only account on the machine, and was already an admin account).

When they did something in command prompt (Something to do with "net active user" or similar) it seems to have fully reset my original admin account. The support guy said it should not have done this, but instead allowed me to flick between the two accounts. For some reason, system restore, which I have never turned off, was shown as turned off, so we couldn't simply roll back. I don't know how this has happened. System Restore would normally be on by default?

I rang Dell support to assist, but they said the machine is showing as installed today. That's not happened, as all my software is still there. Dell acknowledged this wasn't normal and said they didn't know why, and to contact Microsoft.

I have tried calling the 0344 support number, and the only option I could select was for a paid service... but this line just went quiet, so I couldn't tell if I was in a queue or not.

Anyway, I am assuming I cannot restore the old admin account and now must set everything up again in this new account. Most of my files are on One Drive and Dropbox. All my used applications have reset and it wont be a massive issue to set it all back up again. But I did have some files that were stored in the user folder... things like the recycle bin, downloads and some files I scanned into Pictures.

Is there a way to recover these? I understand files don't really get deleted until they are overwritten?

Also why would the machine show today as the install date, if a reformat hasn't been done? Does anyone have any ideas to help me understand this?

Thanks

Michelle

:)

FoxAccountancy, Oct 21, 2019
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Oct 21, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

Hello @Converseallstar95, Administrator account reset itself :)

Could it be that the built-in Administrator may just be signed in to the Store app with the Microsoft account?

If so, then you could reset the "Microsoft Store" app back to default to see if that may remove the association.

*Arrow Reset App in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

If not, then check to see if it may be listed using step 3 in Option Two below, and can be removed.

*Arrow Add or Delete Account in Windows 10 Mail app Browsers Email Tutorials

Brink, Oct 21, 2019
  4. Administrator account reset itself

Upgrade to Windows 10 removed administrator account named "Administrator"

Hi Lonna,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

1) Currently are on Windows 7 or Windows 10?

2) If you are on Windows 7, are you able to see the "Administrator" account in the PC?

If you are on Windows 10, try to follow the below steps and check.

I suggest you to perform Safe Mode with Networking and check if you’re able to login using your Microsoft account.

Method 1: Safe mode.

Please follow below steps:

• Click on power button at left bottom corner, press and hold
        Shift key and click on Restart.

• Click on Troubleshoot.

• Click on Advanced options.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click on Restart.

• Login to Microsoft Account and create a new administrator account.
    If you’re not able to login using Microsoft account then refer to below steps and check if it helps.

Method 2:
    Activate Inbuilt Administrator Account.

Follow the below steps:

• Click on power button at left bottom corner, press and hold
        Shift key and click on Restart.

• Click on Troubleshoot.

• Click on Advanced options.

• Click on Command Prompt and enter following command.

net user Administrator /active:yes
    Now reboot your system and login to inbuilt admin account and try to reset password for other account. Once you reset password login to other account and to deactivate inbuilt admin account enter following command in elevated command prompt.

net user Administrator /active:no

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 21, 2019
Thema:

Administrator account reset itself

1. Administrator account reset itself - Similar Threads - Administrator account reset

2. Can't reset Administrator password due to account not being an administrator account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reset Administrator password due to account not being an administrator account.: I did a reset on my computer to help clear up space and help it run a bit better, but now I'm unable to play anything, as my account is apparently not an administrator account. As such, when I try to do certain things, it asks for the "Administrator password", only problem...
  3. Can't reset Administrator password due to account not being an administrator account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't reset Administrator password due to account not being an administrator account.: I did a reset on my computer to help clear up space and help it run a bit better, but now I'm unable to play anything, as my account is apparently not an administrator account. As such, when I try to do certain things, it asks for the "Administrator password", only problem...
  4. Can't reset Administrator password due to account not being an administrator account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Administrator Account Disabled - after reset

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Administrator Account Disabled - after reset: Posted previously here: https://www.****/threads/administrator-account-disabled-after-reset.579900/ I appreciate the responses but all of the solutions ive found on my post and similar involve actually being able to log on, i literally cannot get on to the account all i have...
  6. Administrator Account Disabled - after reset

Administrator Account Disabled - after reset: Hi,So I had to do a whole reset of my laptop remove personal files and everything and during the reset it kept freezing at 66%, anyway i left it and when i went back to my laptop it was loaded at the sign in screen. The sign in screen only has the option to sign in as...
  7. Completely reset hidden Administrator account?

in Windows 10 Support
    Completely reset hidden Administrator account?: Hi, not sure if anyone can help - this is more of an OCD type request. I recently needed to activate the hidden Administrator account and on first run it asked me to set a password and then ran the OOBE. I found a page on EightForums where Brink explained how to reset the...
  8. Resetting Administrator Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Resetting Administrator Account: My son just managed to delete my account where I was the administrator. He is no longer on the system either. Based on this, I managed to log in as a local user but I do not have any administration rights. I realise Windows has a systems administrator, but how do you...
  9. Built-in Administrator account disabled itself

Built-in Administrator account disabled itself: Windows 10 - 1809 I have enabled the built-in Administrator account but as soon as I log off of any account I use to enable it the Administrator account reverts to being disabled and I cannot log into it. Interestingly I booted up in Safe Mode and enabled the Administrator...
  10. Reset Computer and Administrator Account is Disabled

Reset Computer and Administrator Account is Disabled: I recently reset my laptop and when turning it on, discovered that the administrator account was disabled. There is only one account, the administrator, and now I have no way to log in. I even started windows on safe mode but it wouldn't change anything. What do I do now?...