Windows 10: Administrator and user accounts question

Discus and support Administrator and user accounts question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently had to reformat my hard drive, and I chose to use the Custom installation. Somehow I created a User account with a nickname that I use, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EZSPIRIT42, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Administrator and user accounts question

I recently had to reformat my hard drive, and I chose to use the Custom installation. Somehow I created a User account with a nickname that I use, and a Administrator account with my real name. When I installed Windows 10 a number of years ago I did it from scratch, and didn't have to go through the steps I went through this time, and it was kind of confusing. I just noticed what I did, and would like to know if I can just delete the user account that has my nickname on it, and if I do that will it mess up my computer? Will leaving it as is cause any problems? I am using Windows 10 version 20H2. It is Windows 10 Pro. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

EZSPIRIT42, Jun 30, 2021
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jun 30, 2021
  3. How do i get my user account to administrator account

Hi,

To make the account an administrator account, we recommend the steps below:

• Click Start, then select Settings.
    • Select Account, then click Family & other people (or
      Other people, if you're using Windows 10 Enterprise).
    • Then, select Change account type.
    • Under Account type, select Administrator, then hit
      OK.
    Restart your machine and sign in with the new administrator account.

If the the issue still persists, we suggest to create a local user then do
    the steps above again.

We look forward to your response.

Marvelos Reg, Jun 30, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

Administrator and user accounts question

No permission on Administrator user account

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

You can Enable the built in Administrator account in Windows 10, then create an Administrator account.

I suggest you to refer the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows+ X, select
      Command Prompt
      , and then click Run as Administrator.

• When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.

• At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active: yes, and then press Enter.

• Type net user administrator
      <Password>
      , and then press Enter.

Note In this command, <Password> represents the actual password that you want to set for the administrator account.

• Type exit, and then press Enter.

• Log off the current user account. And login and check the are you able to open the files

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jun 30, 2021
Thema:

Administrator and user accounts question

1. Administrator and user accounts question - Similar Threads - Administrator user accounts

2. How to switch a user account to an administrator account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch a user account to an administrator account?: I made a stupid mistake and make the only account on my laptop into a user instead of an administrator and now I can't switch it back. When I try to do so in the settings it would prompt me to log in as an administrator but because my personal account is the only account on...
  3. Administrator and user accounts question

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator and user accounts question: I recently had to reformat my hard drive, and I chose to use the Custom installation. Somehow I created a User account with a nickname that I use, and a Administrator account with my real name. When I installed Windows 10 a number of years ago I did it from scratch, and...
  4. User account question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User account question: I recently got a new hard drive after my last one broke and had to install windows on it. While I was installing it asked for my Microsoft account to finish setting up, I couldn't remember mine so I used my dad's old one. A little while later I got my account righted and...
  5. Question: User Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question: User Account: I have read many places that we should not use windows logged in as a Administrator. I made a new user account for myself. I am the only one using my laptop. I just want to know weather I have to keep things like this ? I feel that the admin account is just going a waste....
  6. administrator user account deleted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    administrator user account deleted: accidentally windows administrator user account deleted now I am not able to install or uninstall any apps because administrator permission option is not showing for installing or uninstalling...
  7. User and Administrator accounts help...

User and Administrator accounts help...: Hello... Just joined the forum to get some help on windows 10 user accounts... OK... Here I go, See if I can relay what I'm fighting... I upgraded to windows 10 made one account because this is my home personal computer... I don't need a password... I just like to start...
  8. User Account / Administrator

User Account / Administrator: well, I have nobody to blame but myself but when installing Windows 10 I allowed the software to create a Microsoft account and it naturally built an account with no administrator privileges. Of course this is totally wortless for me - I'm the only User on this laptop and...
  9. Built in Administrator - account security questions?

Built in Administrator - account security questions?: After a couple of weeks of using Windows 10, I finally have the OS installed, tweaked and personalized. The last thing on the list is to tighten-up the default security account/settings of Windows 10 on the PC. In the past I attempted to do this w/ Windows 7 with...
  10. User Account Question

User Account Question: Hello, I've just purchased a used computer running Windows 10 Pro. It has under C: Users a folder named "Keith" from the previous owner. How can I change that folder to my name ? I've created a new User Account in my name and have logged in using that but the Keith folder is...