Windows 10: Administrator disabled and other users vanished after using netplwiz

Discus and support Administrator disabled and other users vanished after using netplwiz in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Dear all, this may or may not cause hilarity, but I've boxed myself into a corner: 1. Win10 on my laptop; got fed up of constantly having to enter... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by frozen, Sep 7, 2015.

1. frozen Win User

Administrator disabled and other users vanished after using netplwiz

Dear all, this may or may not cause hilarity, but I've boxed myself into a corner:

1. Win10 on my laptop; got fed up of constantly having to enter password.
    2. Googled non-password start and found netplwiz. Unchecked the 'ask for password' box, shut down and restarted - all good - but then noticed my normal user had seemingly lost admin rights, and when doing anything like 'run as administrator' I would be asked for a password - none of mine, old or new, worked.
    3. Booted to safe mode and accessed users, the limited options wouldn't let me change my original user to be an admin, so I thought giving the (hidden) Administrator a password would allow me override the pop-up in para2.
    4. Rebooted and was only offered Administrator as login ID, but when I entered my password I get Your Account has been disabled. Please see your system administrator
    5. I can still get to a command prompt (and my password works with Administrator to get there) and see various users listed via net user, but after playing around a bit and checking Administrator status as active etc, I still get the message above at logon.
    6. I've even tried a Win10 referesh, but want to keep the data, so it's keeping the account status quo.

Any help much appreciated. Jon

:)

frozen, Sep 7, 2015
  2. Martmcd Win User

Sign on screen shows 2 users but mine in the only account on there.

ok, try a different way.

click start, type netplwiz

right click on netplwiz and select run as administrator

click the advanced tab

under advanced user management click the advanced button

in the left pane select Users

in the right pane right click on Administrator and select properties

look for and check Account is disabled

click apply and OK

note: you should see some other (built in and disabled) accounts such as guest and default account, this is normal and they should be left alone.

Martmcd, Sep 7, 2015
  3. User account

When I boot my pc, at log in page it shows that administrator has been disabled and then it shifts to another log in window where ony two users are visible one which is administrator account which was changed to standard account using netplwiz and other
    account is guest account.Also in netplwiz there was another user account homegroup user which i had given all administrative privileges.

I tried to enable administrator by opening command prompt from the option recovery in settings and when i gone for command prompt option a window came where i had to enter the password of homegroup user then there comes command prompt window, when i tried
    the command you have told previously,it shows command completed successfully.But when i restarted my laptop it again shows that administrator disabled.

Sheikh Faisal, Sep 7, 2015
  4. frozen Win User

I lucked upon the answer; for anyone in similar situation:
    Although Administrator didn't logon in normal mode, it did in safe mode and accepted the password I'd added. Then I went to netplwiz and changed the original user from local to administrator, seemingly taking it out of suspension and allowing a normal logon next time I booted. How, why, etc - no idea, but maybe worth a try for anyone else with disabled Administrator.

frozen, Sep 9, 2015
  5. John1982 Win User
    I TYPED netplwiz at the suggestion it would remove my user account at login, so i dont have to use the password.
    . but Now i have No access to admin rights.

WORSE IS >

I had previously set Account Control settings; dialog slider to the Top , where i have to be notified all the time of Admin permission to run anything, even get into the menus to fix this !!!! . I cant even access that slider in the account controls @

And the problem now is, it asked for Admin rights. The Yes is grayed out now because i used netplwiz in the searach , i cant even change any settings or get back my admin rights.. PLEASE HELP.*cry

UPDATE -

Luckly i had a system restore which was not too far removed . Getting to that, was done with trick keyboard short cuts, that got to restore options on start up. very difficult, I cant recall which buttons got me there, but find out write them down, and never loose that. windohs 10 saver.

That restored all the info back to normal.

NEVER use Netplwiz !

John1982, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Administrator disabled and other users vanished after using netplwiz - Similar Threads - Administrator disabled users

2. Disabled administrator and can't reach advanced startup troubleshooting/netplwiz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled administrator and can't reach advanced startup troubleshooting/netplwiz: Hi,I've been trying to set up automatic login, without the pc asking for login details, somewhere along the way I ran:"net user administrator /active:no" in my cmd.As of now, I can't run cmd with administrator privileges to revert this, as User Account Control prompts "Do you...
  3. Lost administrator privileges after using netplwiz to change username

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost administrator privileges after using netplwiz to change username: Hi there, i followed a guide to change my username by using netplwiz. After changing the username, i have completely lost my administrator privileges and i need some helps in getting it back....
  4. Lost administrator privileges after using netplwiz to change username

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost administrator privileges after using netplwiz to change username: Hi there, i followed a guide to change my username by using netplwiz. After changing the username, i have completely lost my administrator privileges and i need some helps in getting it back....
  5. Lost administrator privileges after using netplwiz to change username

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. User just vanished, other users broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User just vanished, other users broken: Hey I just wanted to log into my user, when ut first asked me to type A1B2C3 to confirm Im humen(I guess because yesterday I tryed my pin wrong sometimes) then it asked me what my pin is(Now I know its my normal passwird but its too late now), I didnt knew it so I tryed to...
  7. Administrator has to use other user's password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator has to use other user's password: My user account on Windows 10 is administrator. However if I ever need to use an elevated command. a pop-up requests me to type in another administrator's password. This seems odd. Have you had a similar experience? 171687
  8. "Other User" and Administrator not present after reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Other User" and Administrator not present after reset: Recently after about two weeks of inactivity, I used my laptop again, to prepare for online classes. Two weeks after the start of school, my screen starts freezing. It got to the point where one software update was unsuccessful. My first thought was that my wifi adapter was...
  9. Administrator Account is Gone after using Netplwiz!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Administrator Account is Gone after using Netplwiz!: Not sure if this is the right place to ask, sorry if irs wrong!!! It started when I wanted to help my mom change her account name on her computer, but she didnt know what the administrative password was, despite being administrator. She wasn’t interested in finding it out...
  10. Strange User Not in NETPLWIZ

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Strange User Not in NETPLWIZ: So this is strange and I am looking for any answers. I have Windows 10 64-bit Pro and I have two of them; wife and mine Now I am chasing another issue, but that's how I came across this. In netplwiz on my wife's system she only has one entry and it is her user. On mine...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after 1803 update i lost my admistrator login