Windows 10: Administrator of domain cant open device manager from start menu

Discus and support Administrator of domain cant open device manager from start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, On any of the computers on my domain, the administrator account cannot open device manager from searching it in start menu. I can open it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SteveP879, Jan 28, 2020.

1. SteveP879 Win User

Administrator of domain cant open device manager from start menu

Hello,

On any of the computers on my domain, the administrator account cannot open device manager from searching it in start menu.

I can open it from the control panel and I can open it from 'Run'. I can also open the device manager from the start menu if I am on a standard domain user.

Here is the error:

::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{74246BFC-4C96-11D0-ABEF-0020AF6B0B7A}

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Any suggestions to fix this?

:)

SteveP879, Jan 28, 2020
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jan 28, 2020
  3. Start Menu does not open

Hi Roger,

Try these steps listed here to work on this issue.

• Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:
    • Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannnow

Vidyaranjan A V, Jan 28, 2020
  4. catherje Win User

Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu

Hello,

So I've been noticing a common issue with upgrading some of my work place's PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I am using the windows media creation tool and for the most part everything goes well during the upgrade, however when I log back into the machine using out domain administrator account ([DOMAIN NAME]/Administrator) I get error messages whenever I try to open specific programs like Device Manager from the start menu.

Administrator of domain cant open device manager from start menu [​IMG]

I've noticed similar errors also when I try opening other applications, but I'm still able to open device manager through control panel.

Also, I'm only having this issue with this specific domain user, I can log in with any other account or even log in locally and I'm able to open everything normally. This is leading me to believe that it's permissions related or related to a corrupt profile.

I've tried about all I can think of to resolve this issue including recreating the profile and no success. The only thing that has worked for me is to do a complete clean install of windows 10. However, I don't want to have to do this option with every single computer recreating everyone's user profiles and reinstalling company applications.

Has anyone else seen an issue like this before with Windows 10 or would anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to resolve or prevent this issue from happening on upgrading Windows 7 PCs.

Thanks

catherje, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Administrator of domain cant open device manager from start menu - Similar Threads - Administrator domain cant

2. Win11 Can't start Device Manager as Administrator in Win+x menu, can in Win10; intentional?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 Can't start Device Manager as Administrator in Win+x menu, can in Win10; intentional?: Background: Main / local account is 'Standard', and a separate Administrator account is enabled with password, for admin tasks. UAC is set to 'Max'.Win+x opens the Power User Menu, of which Device Manager can be accessed.In Win10, if you hold Ctrl+Shift when you click Device...
  3. Win11 Can't start Device Manager as Administrator in Win+x menu, can in Win10; intentional?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 Can't start Device Manager as Administrator in Win+x menu, can in Win10; intentional?: Background: Main / local account is 'Standard', and a separate Administrator account is enabled with password, for admin tasks. UAC is set to 'Max'.Win+x opens the Power User Menu, of which Device Manager can be accessed.In Win10, if you hold Ctrl+Shift when you click Device...
  4. I cant open anything from the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cant open anything from the start menu: I dont know what exactly I did but I cant open anything from the start menu. Control Panel gives me a weird error saying no mapping between account names and security ids was done. half of the "fixes" i found told me to open settings but i cant open those either. others said...
  5. Can't open apps from Windows Search bar and cant open start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open apps from Windows Search bar and cant open start menu: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Rageanoid2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kxb5oe/cant_open_apps_from_windows_search_bar_and_cant/
  6. Cant Open Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cant Open Device Manager: I can't open my device manager, it says that the MMC couldn't create the snap in. What does this mean? The CLISD is {74246bfc-4c96-11d0-abef-0020af6b0b7a} if that help......
  7. Now it's totally useless (the start menu) , i cant open anything from the start menu, even...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Now it's totally useless (the start menu) , i cant open anything from the start menu, even...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Longshoez [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/htnbcq/now_its_totally_useless_the_start_menu_i_cant/
  8. Not able to open Device Manager from Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to open Device Manager from Start Menu: When I try to open Device Manager by typing "Device Manager" in Start Search Box I am getting below error. [ATTACH] But I can able to open Device Manager by right-clicking Start Menu and from Control Panel. It is not opening only when try to open by searching. [ATTACH]...
  9. Cant open device manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant open device manager: [ATTACH] Cant seem to find any fix, anyone able to help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/cant-open-device-manager/8b9f8332-352e-4987-a2f0-cf0e8168a838
  10. Device Manager shortcut to taskbar/start menu?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device Manager shortcut to taskbar/start menu?: Is there any way to add the Device Manager to the taskbar or start menu? I have a bluetooth dongle that I always need to disable/enable from that menu. 48675