Windows 10: Adobe Is Finally Killing Shockwave Player for Good

Discus and support Adobe Is Finally Killing Shockwave Player for Good in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Per the article... Adobe Is Finally Killing Shockwave Player for Good - by Rhett Jones A specific era of the world wide web will come to an end next... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Compumind, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Compumind Win User

Adobe Is Finally Killing Shockwave Player for Good

Per the article...

Adobe Is Finally Killing Shockwave Player for Good - by Rhett Jones

A specific era of the world wide web will come to an end next month when Adobe officially discontinues its Shockwave multimedia platform.

You might want to get in a final round in your favorite browser-based game—but, more than anything, you should use this moment to delete Shockwave from your computer once and for all.

Adobe began notifying enterprise customers about the impending demise of Shockwave by email last month and it has posted a notice on its website that the platform for interactive interfaces and games will be discontinued on April 9, 2019. The company said that the rise of technologies like HTML5 Canvas and WebGL was the reason for its decision to end support for Shockwave and the shut down has been in the works for years.

In its mid-aughts heyday, Shockwave was used by designers to create fancy splash pages for websites, interactive CD-ROMs, and web games. Like its sister software Flash, it was developed by Macromedia before that company was acquired by Adobe in 2005. Both applications came to define an era of over-complicated animated interfaces and simple time-wasting video games. In recent years, the once-ubiquitous programs have become a security liability as updates have been deprioritized. The Shockwave player for macOS was already discontinued in 2017 and it will no longer be available for Windows next month.

Shockwave was more like a TurboGrafx-16 than a Super Nintendo, and most of the content that was made for the platform will likely fall into obscurity. Sites that specialize in free-to-play web games have migrated to newer technologies and its increasingly rare to even find a CD-ROM on newer PCs. Organizations like the Internet Archive will surely step up their efforts to preserve what they can from the Shockwave-era, but that special period when every button had an animated rollover and three distinct sounds for mouse interaction will be widely forgotten by the new generation.

Adobe says it will continue Shockwave support for enterprise customers who have contracts until 2022. Anyone else might want to go ahead and just remove the application from their computer. In January, security researchers at Avast found that Shockwave was the most commonly out-of-date program that it observed on users’ machines. Software that isn’t consistently updated poses a much greater risk of containing security flaws that can be taken advantage of by bad actors.

Here's more -

Adobe will retire Shockwave on April 9, 2019 - gHacks Tech News

*Eek

:)

Compumind, Mar 11, 2019

2. Adobe Shockwave/ Adobe Flash Player :Windows 10

aunnopjundee, Mar 11, 2019
  3. Holly1958 Win User
    Adobe Shockwave/ Adobe Flash Player :Windows 10

This April I purchased the following noitebook computer: HP Envy M7- N109DX Notebook.

I understand this computer is good for gaming, although I haven't used it much for gaming.

The Adobe Shockwave Player 12 , version 12.1.7.157 is listed in the Progams section of the Control panel and I understand from some reading I've done that you don't need both the Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave player as the Shockwave is used more for gaming
    computers. However, I noticed I have been getting Windows security updates for the Adobe Flash Player, which is not installed on my computer but no security updates for the Adobe Shock wave player.

Also I've been getting every so often here lately popup requests to update the Flash Player which I don't have. With one of these popups a warning came on that this was a malicious site and not to update. I don't believe this was from My Norton Internet
    Security as it wasn't so marked and it didn't popup in the right corner of my taskbar as Norton warnings do but filled the whole page. Maybe it was from Microsoft but I Xed out the warning quickly so I'm not sure where the warning came from.

My question : Should I be getting updates for Shockwave Player, and am I right to ignore the Adobe Flash player updates that seem legitimate. Also why am I not getting updates for the Adobe Shockwave Player or do I have the latest ?

Holly

PS: I just noticed that in Advanced Settings on Edge I have Adobe Flash Player enabled but it's not listed in Programs on Control Panel.

PS 2: I have done the test for Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Shockwave and have discovered that Flash Player is preinstalled with Internet Explorer in Windows 10 and updates automatically. It sort of reminds me of Google Chrome. I got from the Adobe Shockwave
    test that it is not working, although it's listed in Programs on Control Panel. I also found out that Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave come together on Windows 10.

I think I won't worry about it as I'm not much of a gamer and found out games I play work fine.

Holly1958, Mar 11, 2019
  4. Holly1958 Win User

Adobe Shockwave/ Adobe Flash Player :Windows 10

I've since found out that Flash Player is pre-installed with Internet Explorer in Windows 10 and updates automatically so I know not to download any Flash Player updates. I've been getting those update download messages mostly when I first go on the internet,
    not from any particular website. Adobe Shockwave is listed in my programs in the control panel, but when I did the test it said it was either not installed (which it is) or not enabled. On Manage Add-ons in IE 11 something called Shockwave Flash Object Published
    by Microsoft Windows Thir.... is enabled. However, when I went to Adobe Shockwave website and did the test it showed Adobe Shockwave wasn't working.

I didn't get this computer for the gaming feature but for other reasons. I have tried some games from AOL and these work, but I'm not sure what other games I should try as I believe years ago I played AOL games without Shockwave Player.

Holly

Holly1958, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Adobe Is Finally Killing Shockwave Player for Good - Similar Threads - Adobe Finally Killing

2. shockwave

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    shockwave: HiDid anything ever replace shockwave flash player some of my screen saver needs thatThank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shockwave/b4e3641c-b44c-431e-b90f-cee1a47ad64d
  3. shockwave

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shockwave: HiDid anything ever replace shockwave flash player some of my screen saver needs thatThank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shockwave/b4e3641c-b44c-431e-b90f-cee1a47ad64d
  4. shockwave

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 update to kill off Adobe Flash Player permanently

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update to kill off Adobe Flash Player permanently: On December 31, 2020, Adobe killed off Flash Player once and for all, and users are now recommended to uninstall the software from Windows 10 and web browsers. Adobe has already started displaying Flash Player end of life pop-up on Windows 10. Later this month or next month,...
  6. Shockwave flash player isn't working on my pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shockwave flash player isn't working on my pc: My computer is months old and has windows 10. I also, Installed the new version of shockwave flash player but, I have noticed when I try to load a website with IE using shockwave player, It reloads and reloads until it crashes. When I tried playing a game made with...
  7. Windows 10 update will finally pull the plug on Adobe Flash Player

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update will finally pull the plug on Adobe Flash Player: Three years ago, Adobe announced that it would dig a deep hole for its Flash Player and drop support by the end of 2020. This will move will also kill off the Flash Player technology, which is packed with security holes that it has become the favourite target of malware...
  8. Unable to Install Adobe Shockwave

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Install Adobe Shockwave: I came back to Neopets recently and I realized I didn't have Shockwave, which is used for many of their games, on this computer, so I've been desperately trying to install Shockwave through different browsers, but-- When I use a browser where it gives me an exe to open...
  9. Google’s Chrome 69 update to kill Adobe Flash Player

in Windows 10 News
    Google’s Chrome 69 update to kill Adobe Flash Player: Earlier in the week we reported that Google will soon be releasing its next major update Chrome 69 with new Material Design and more. The Chrome 69 update will also be killing or discontinuing the Adobe Flash Player for its users. After the new version the Chrome browser...
  10. Adobe Flash Player.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adobe Flash Player.: There seems to be something wrong with the Adobe Flash Player download site. Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions Could some one else try it and see if they can find the download? All I see is a white screen.. [img] -Chuck 3801