Windows 10: advanced security settings owner account unknown

Discus and support advanced security settings owner account unknown in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After my computer died I removed the C drive and installed it my new computer which already had a C drive as K drive - I mainly wanted to access data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TomLamson, Apr 11, 2021.

1. TomLamson Win User

advanced security settings owner account unknown

After my computer died I removed the C drive and installed it my new computer which already had a C drive as K drive

- I mainly wanted to access data files that were stored on that computer since the new computer had Windows 10 installed.

Today I tried to access K:\Users\Tom\My Documents and got this BTW I am Tom

Location is not available

K:\Users\Tom\My Documents is not accessible

Access is denied

advanced security settings owner account unknown 6251a50c-5cf9-4676-bc53-be1fd66a156d?upload=true.jpg

I did right-click Properties Security and it looks like the owner is Account Unknown probably me when it was C drive on the old computer

advanced security settings owner account unknown f5dd4377-452e-46aa-b9f7-747081dbd7c4?upload=true.jpg

There are many directories like this although many that open without a problem.

The funny part is that I have grayed out check marks indicating that I have full control.

- I assume that they are grayed out because "I" am not the owner.

I have tried the following:

Advanced security settings I clicked on Owner Change

advanced security settings owner account unknown f5e47af3-3514-457c-b933-f763f0760b11?upload=true.jpg

and that leads to this

advanced security settings owner account unknown 0d303817-9b14-45ac-b05c-6a118a753ad0?upload=true.jpg

I Clicked OK but got the same Access denied.

How do I fix this?

Is there a way to fix it for the entire drive or do I need to do it directory by directory?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

:)

TomLamson, Apr 11, 2021

2. Unknown User as Owner

Hi Bree, thanks for stepping up to address this issue.
    As far as I know my External Drive has only been used on my PC.

I could try to implement your suggestion and take Ownership of those Folders.
    The "Take Ownership" link is present in my right click menu, but I'm currently logged in with my Microsoft account, so perhaps it would be better if I went Properties --> Security --> Advanced & set the Owner to Administrators, no?!

Although my mind is bugged with a new question now.
    If I change the Owner & later on I have to restore a backup (Acronis on a CD) won't I encounter problems then?

witten1972, Apr 11, 2021
  3. Unknown User as Owner

Hi guys, I have a peculiar issue with an unknown Owner of a folder.
    To be more precise, its on my external Drive, in a folder called My Backups.
    I use Acronis on a disk to perform backups. Acronis is not installed.
    Path: ‪L:\My backups\Windows 10 Pro (C)
    Owner: S-1-5-21-4052398736-303783888-1690356549-1002

advanced security settings owner account unknown [​IMG]

I entered "net users" in cmd.exe & the above account is not listed there.
    I have a built-in Administrator-, Guest-, Default-, WDAGUtility- and my current account.

The above Owner number does not appear in Regedit either.

Nor does it appear in Computer Management --> Local User Groups...

So who could this be, and is it safe to set it as a member of Administrators?

Ok, slight change of plans. I was going to post the above when I did a closer inspection of other folders & files in L:\My backups. ‪L:\My backups\Recovery Partition has yet another unfamiliar Owner!

Owners of the 5 backup folders:
    ‪L:\My backups\Data HP (E): Administrators (HP-PAVILION\Administrators)
    ‪L:\My backups\FACTORY_IMAGE (D): Administrators (HP-PAVILION\Administrators)
    ‪L:\My backups\Recovery Partition: S-1-5-21-2524673758-597247510-780583039-1001
    ‪L:\My backups\Windows 7 Pro: S-1-5-21-4052398736-303783888-1690356549-1002
    L:\My backups\Windows 10 Pro (C): S-1-5-21-4052398736-303783888-1690356549-1002

So I have to ask again, who could this be, and is it safe to set them all as a member of Administrators?

witten1972, Apr 11, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Unknown User as Owner

In a Command Prompt the command DIR /Q will show the owner of a file or folder. Unknown owners are indicated by ...

Add the /S option and it lists the contents of sub-folders too. You could filter the results for the string "..." by piping the results to FIND.

DIR /Q /S | FIND "..."

Note that for an external HDD that's regularly used on multiple PCs there may be some owners that this PC doesn't recognise (but that exist on one of the other PCs).

Thema:

1. advanced security settings owner account unknown - Similar Threads - advanced security settings

2. Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder: Hi I was messing with the advanced security setting for WindowApps folder in my company laptop and wish to revert the owner back to "Unable to display current owner" which is the default setting see screenshot 1. Currently it is "SYSTEM" see screenshot 2. Thank you.For some...
  3. Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder: Hi I was messing with the advanced security setting for WindowApps folder in my company laptop and wish to revert the owner back to "Unable to display current owner" which is the default setting see screenshot 1. Currently it is "SYSTEM" see screenshot 2. Thank you.For some...
  4. Revert owner in advanced security setting for folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Advanced security settings for scans

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advanced security settings for scans: I'm troubleshooting the "start actions" function in windows defender and one of the steps is to clear an item in the scans folder and the quarantine folder bit when I go to update the permissions it's grayed out. I've tried everything to change the permissions but it still...
  6. Advanced security settings for scans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advanced security settings for scans: I'm troubleshooting the "start actions" function in windows defender and one of the steps is to clear an item in the scans folder and the quarantine folder bit when I go to update the permissions it's grayed out. I've tried everything to change the permissions but it still...
  7. Users advanced security settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Users advanced security settings: I was in file explorer and opened the file users. 3 users came up. Mine, public and guest. Then I clicked on the properties of say public. It then bought up a screen and I clicked advanced settings and then clicked on find now. I clicked ok and a list of over 30 users came up...
  8. Unable to edit file owner with Advanced Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to edit file owner with Advanced Settings: I am desperately trying to disable Antimalware Executable. I have added the registry variables that supposedly disable Windows Defender, but after rebooting it fails to keep the Antimalware Executable out of my task manager. The program eats up my disk harder than my system...
  9. Unknown User as Owner

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown User as Owner: Hi guys, I have a peculiar issue with an unknown Owner of a folder. To be more precise, its on my external Drive, in a folder called My Backups. I use Acronis on a disk to perform backups. Acronis is not installed. Path: ‪L:\My backups\Windows 10 Pro (C) Owner:...
  10. Advanced Security Settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Advanced Security Settings: I am receiving an error msg concerning Skype "Another program is using this file" I cannot access windowsapps. In Advanced Security Settings, I cannot change my access level to "Full" I am logged in as administrator but my access is not "Full". Also there are a number of...