Windows 10: Advanced Shared Settings won't turn "off" password protected sharing

Discus and support Advanced Shared Settings won't turn "off" password protected sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to set up homegroup networking with other household computers. My new HP/Windows 10 is asking for a password. When I go to control panel,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RLAR, Sep 15, 2017.

1. RLAR Win User

Advanced Shared Settings won't turn "off" password protected sharing

I'm trying to set up homegroup networking with other household computers. My new HP/Windows 10 is asking for a password. When I go to control panel, network & internet, network & sharing center, advanced sharing settings, all networks and select "turn off password protected sharing," the "save changes" button is grey. When I try to share, it asks for "network credentials" password. We haven't used passwords to share among our other computers, so stuck on where to go from here. Thnx for an answer.

:)

2. Network Credentials - Does each computer on a network need a DIFFERENT UserName and PassWord?

Andre, thank you

Network discovery turned on

turn on automatic setup of network connected device - checked

Password protected sharing had already been

turned off... it's off on all computers

I switched to "Turn ON sharing so anyone with network access...."

it had been turned off... no change

thank you

Karen

Karen Stavert, Sep 15, 2017
  3. KL479 Win User
    Turn off Password Protected Sharing is broken in W10 as always.

Same problem here after the pitiful Windows 10 anniversary update. Keep asking for the network credentials when I try to access folders on another networked computer. As Kitekrazy allured to, turn off the Password Protected Sharing does not work after
    the W10 AU. I am the Local Administrator, but I can't turn off the Password Protected Sharing under Network and Sharing Center / Advanced Sharing Network Sharing Settings. Every time I click the "Off" button and Save Changes, it comes back with "On" re-checked.
    Could there be some higher level of Admin right to allow turning off the Password Protected Sharing?

KL479, Sep 15, 2017
  4. RLAR Win User

HI,

No one replied to the below post. Wonder if you saw? My husband has been tinkering with partial success. We had all our computers accessible through the network, but that wasn't working with new computer. So, we tried setting up a homegroup, and that's where had partial success. But still can't get access for both public files and named user's desktop among our home computers. Is there a paid online consultant that assists with this kind of thing? I'll give you a break after this and post just to general public *Smile

Original post: I'm trying to set up homegroup networking with other household computers. My new HP/Windows 10 is asking for a password. When I go to control panel, network & internet, network & sharing center, advanced sharing settings, all networks and select "turn off password protected sharing," the "save changes" button is grey. When I try to share, it asks for "network credentials" password. We haven't used passwords to share among our other computers, so stuck on where to go from here. Thnx for an answer.

5. skcusime Win User
    In my experience, the "Save Changes" button is greyed out until you actually change something. Under the "All Networks" dropdown, turn on sharing, use 128 bit encryption, and most importantly, turn off password protected sharing. With this turned off, you should not get asked about network credentials. If you change these settings, does the "Save Changes" button light up?

skcusime, Sep 19, 2017
  6. RLAR Win User
    Thanks. I don't have the computer anymore, but when I did select the button from on to off for password protected sharing, it wouldn't let me save (grey), but when changed back to "on", it would. As it turns out (don't see that post of mine), my husband realized we did have a password for our old network sharing/homegroup; so we were able to solve sharing issues with that. Duh.

RLAR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Advanced Shared Settings won't turn "off" password protected sharing - Similar Threads - Advanced Shared Settings

2. Win10 Home Cannot turn off password protected sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Home Cannot turn off password protected sharing: Appreciate there are many references to this problem - I have tried them all. My system has had no problems for several years but today i suddenly lost control over password protected sharing. Whatever I do, it reverts to “on” as soon as I move away from that dialogue box....
  3. Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10: I've been using Network Share (HomeGroup before) for a while. Weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account password, and then here I got a problem. Let's say my main PC is PC A, and my second PC is PC B. When I try to access files on B from A, everything works fine. But when I...
  4. Turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing.

Turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing.: how do I set up a password for netwotk sharing? ***Modified Title from: How do I set up a password for network sharing*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-password-protected-sharing-over-network/04c4ee71-adcd-45ea-90be-e35904259e1e
  5. Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...: Hi support team I want to turn off the password protected sharing on my PC. So, the other users available on the same network can access my shared folder without entering any user credentials. To do that I entered into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and...
  6. Windows 10 Turn Off Password Protected Sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Turn Off Password Protected Sharing: We are looking for a way to turn off password protected sharing either programmatically or through some type of scripting (cmd, powershell, etc.) for Windows 10 1607. It is the option in Advanced Sharing Settings (All Networks) in Network and Sharing Center. We can...
  7. Cannot turn off password protected sharing on W10 PC

Cannot turn off password protected sharing on W10 PC: Hello all! I'm new to this forum, but have been a member of SevenForums for many years! My issue just all of the sudden came up out of the blue. One of the PC's on my home LAN all of the sudden switched settings from having the password setting turned off to now turned on...
  8. Password Protected Sharing - Turn On/Off with PowerShell

Password Protected Sharing - Turn On/Off with PowerShell: How can I use PowerShell to turn on/off "Password Protected Sharing" setting in Advanced sharing settings? 66136
  9. Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!

Network share requesting password, but password protection turned off!: Hi Guys, This is a curious one. I have three PCs (two desktop and one laptop) all running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1607). Each system has a shared partition, set up exactly the same, which has sharing set for 'everyone', with 'full control'. Password protected...
  10. Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Password Protected Sharing in Windows 10 When password protected sharing is turned on, only people who have a Public folders. If you wanted to give access to shared files to other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off password protected sharing wont save

2. On one netwotk I have public & a username- on the other I only have public?