Windows 10: Advanced system restore and restore file locations

Discus and support Advanced system restore and restore file locations in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm using windows 10 pro and am trying to get restore locations moved from and old drive to a new drive. I'm trying to figure out what folders and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jmcda, Aug 26, 2018.

1. jmcda Win User

Advanced system restore and restore file locations

I'm using windows 10 pro and am trying to get restore locations moved from and old drive to a new drive. I'm trying to figure out what folders and files I need to move and where to move them so I can have the restore points show when I open system recovery.
    Creating a system image isn't what I'm looking for and backing up files that I already have isn't what I'm looking for.
    I want to open system restore to use restore points from my old drive. How can this be done?

:)

jmcda, Aug 26, 2018

2. system restore, no cd

Mussels did not fail, those two are answers are very common with what you are describing. You can try to go back to a system restore point located in the help folder in control panel. Have you created any recent restore points?

t77snapshot, Aug 26, 2018
  3. Pinchy Win User
    Deleted file restore software.

I cant remember if it recovers old files OR leaves new files on the computer even after you do the restore. I havent used it in a while.

Pinchy, Aug 26, 2018
  4. keakar Win User

How do I disable system restore?

all system restore is like a backup copy of your "c" drive so it can "restore" it to the way it was before you screwed it up or got a virus. it keeps certain restore points according to the disk space usage limits you set for it. default uses a lot of disk space and can have around 15+ seperate dates to select as restore points. i keep mine set on the first notch which for a 320gb hdd is around 3-4gb of space dedicated to restore file space and it gives me 7-8 dates for restore points which is plenty since i pick a restore date that only go back one or two days anyway.

to turn it on or off you open it and to the left side it says "system restore settings" so open it and select to turn off system restore and apply. then i reboot and open system restore which prompts me to turn it on so i do then reset the abount of space/restore points i want.

one thing to remember about system restore, it will remove things you added recently but it cant bring back something that has been deleted so if you delete or uninstall the wrong thing and your trying to get your files back or a program quits working on you, system restore cant help you.

keakar, Aug 26, 2018
Thema:

1. Advanced system restore and restore file locations - Similar Threads - Advanced system restore

2. System Restore and Corrupt FIles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Restore and Corrupt FIles: My current installation has corrupt files in it but i’d like to keep everything that i currently have as with my connection it would take weeks to obtain everything again. I can’t restore them with SFC or DSIM as those have failed (1903) Would a clean installation of 2004...
  3. Windows 10 System Restore stuck at Restoring files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 System Restore stuck at Restoring files: Hello, My windows 10 laptop has been on system restore since about an hour and is still on "Restoring files..." Earlier it never took this long, what should I do? submitted by /u/maitreyapatni29 [link] [comments]...
  4. File System restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File System restore: Have new PC. Made mistake of syncing with old PC. This really messed up my file system by importing the old PC file system to new PC. Now I can't find anything in my file system structure. What should I do?F...
  5. Protect system restore files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Protect system restore files: After Microsoft's latest forced update, 1903, I discovered that all my previous system restore files had been wiped out. Is there any way of hiding, or protecting, or backing up system restore files? 136886
  6. Windows Can Not Locate System Restore Image

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Can Not Locate System Restore Image: Hi, I had to send my laptop in for Depot repair so I figured it was a great opportunity to try out the Windows 10 System Image Backup function. I created a System Image on a network hard drive and then restored windows to factory settings before sending the laptop in (for...
  7. Advanced Restoration Service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Advanced Restoration Service: I have a computer maintenance program and they are telling me my Advanced Restoration Service has just expired July 9. I am told I have to have this re-newed or my anti-virus and files will be corrupted. After calling them this morning, they said I have 281 out of 300 files...
  8. System Restore won't restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore won't restore: I have a problem that is as insoluble (to me) as it is serious: System Restore seems broken. It exits with this less-than-helpful err msg: An unknown error occurred during system restore. (0x80070091). For completeness I took partial screen shots the whole way during my last...
  9. icon position file: locate and restore?

in Windows 10 Support
    icon position file: locate and restore?: Lately on WHEA error restarts, windows rearranges all the icons on my desktop. Is there a file that logs \ maintains these positions? Is it possible to 1) archive the file & 2) use the archive to restore (desktop) icons to their original positions? Doubt this question is...
  10. Restoring location

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring location: How does one restore 'location ON' to user account, please? 49074