Windows 10: Advice on approach to encryption...

Discus and support Advice on approach to encryption... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Would really appreciate experienced view on protecting personal data (banking, etc) on a laptop. Intel [email protected] with 16Gb Ram running Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Synonym, May 22, 2020.

1. Synonym Win User

Advice on approach to encryption...

Hi
    Would really appreciate experienced view on protecting personal data (banking, etc) on a laptop.

Intel [email protected] with 16Gb Ram running Win 10 Home v.1909. Very old versions of Word and Excel. 2 SSD's

Unfortunately started using it before really thinking about security. Have moved My Docs off C: onto D:

Wondering whether to
    1: Encrypt both drives (using veracrypt). Question is will this slow my PC noticably?

2. Encrypt only the D:. With 2 options
    2a. Put only My Docs on the D: and regularly (especially when travelling) clear all Temp Folders on the C drive to ensure no copies of documents are stored there. I presume this cause no issue at all to the running of the PC? But is a little labour intensive. I have a further question here.

2b. Put My Docs AND Windows Temp folders onto the D: and then encrypt. Would this cause an issue in booting Windows when the Temp folders are on the encrypted D:? I have no idea...i'm not that computer savvy.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the best approach, there is very likely other better ways i have not considered.

Thanks very much in advance
    Syn

:)

Synonym, May 22, 2020

2. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 22, 2020
  3. Encryption

Hello Miriam,

For us to be able to isolate your concern why your devices page says it is not encrypted when you've turn on encryption, kindly answer these questions:

• Does this happen before you encrypt the device?
    • Which Windows version currently running on your device?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We will be waiting for update.

Gerald Mal, May 22, 2020
  4. Advice on approach to encryption...

Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, May 22, 2020
Thema:

Advice on approach to encryption...

1. Advice on approach to encryption... - Similar Threads - Advice approach encryption

2. Idiotic Approach by Microsoft

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Idiotic Approach by Microsoft: It is to inform you that billions of windows users are facing an issue of RAM consumption via antimalware service executable since 2015/16 .Why on earth are u guys not solving it Why should we disable it and why allow 3rd party Antiviruses !!!Go to hell Microsoft!!!!...
  3. Idiotic Approach by Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Idiotic Approach by Microsoft: It is to inform you that billions of windows users are facing an issue of RAM consumption via antimalware service executable since 2015/16 .Why on earth are u guys not solving it Why should we disable it and why allow 3rd party Antiviruses !!!Go to hell Microsoft!!!!...
  4. Idiotic Approach by Microsoft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. different repair approaches

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    different repair approaches: Good day. I was wondering if someone could explain if there is a difference between repairing a Windows 10 installation using Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess or an in-place upgrade using the same ISO file. Thank you...
  6. Need some advice on encrypting in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some advice on encrypting in Windows 10: TLDR: Can a PC with multiple HDDs and SSDs and 3 installations of Windows 10 be configured and encrypted so that the 3 instances of Windows 10 are totally unaware of each other and inaccessible either by myself or anyone else and only be accessible when booted into? I've...
  7. Advice on approach to encryption...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Advice on approach to encryption...: Hi Would really appreciate experienced view on protecting personal data (banking, etc) on a laptop. Intel [email protected] with 16Gb Ram running Win 10 Home v.1909. Very old versions of Word and Excel. 2 SSD's Unfortunately started using it before really thinking about...
  8. KO Approach

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KO Approach: Any software for windows that is like KO Approach. Either in the context menu like in KO or in any other way? submitted by /u/suskab [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f1kgue/ko_approach/
  9. best Approach..

in Windows 10 Support
    best Approach..: Hello, I have 2 working pc. A w 7, a w10 version. The w 10 pc is for vr. I got dogs, have not turned on w 10 pc almost a year. W 7 pc works great but....... W 10 ver is around 17xxx build. Its on an SSD. I have been seeing where w10 updates have been hell all year long. too...
  10. Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption: A laptop with a 512GB SSD, partitioned into (about) C: 125GB (for Windows) and D: 375GB Windows 10 x64 Pro. Data files, such as those of Office 365, will be stored on the D-partition. I would like to have that partition encrypted/password protected. After booting Windows and...