Windows 10: advice on backing up data to an external source please

Discus and support advice on backing up data to an external source please in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sorry but this is a very simple question. I have put in a memory stick into the USB port and it yells me that there are previous files on the stick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CarolKnill, Jan 3, 2020.

1. advice on backing up data to an external source please

Sorry but this is a very simple question.

I have put in a memory stick into the USB port and it yells me that there are previous files on the stick but on the screen it says drive E is disconnected and all I want to do is to back up my present data, can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Carol

:)

CarolKnill, Jan 3, 2020

2. Need Advice on Everything!

Take a step back

What is your budget ?
    What are you going to use it for?

TPU members will probly overload you with suggestions

CAPSLOCKSTUCK, Jan 3, 2020
  3. External drive

You've mentioned that you were able to try some of the troubleshooting steps that was provided by a Microsoft online agent, we'd like to know if you were able to roll back the said driver as well. If not, kindly follow the steps listed below and check if
    it helps to resolve the issue:

• Press Windows Key + X then select Device Manager from the list.
    • Locate the external driver and right-click to open the Properties option.
    • Go to the Driver tab and click the Roll Back Driver button. Click
      OK.

Note: The Roll Back Driver button is only available if a previous version of the driver was installed. If the current driver for the device is the only one that was ever installed on this computer, then the Roll Back Driver button is not enabled.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Jan 3, 2020
  4. advice on backing up data to an external source please

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jan 3, 2020
Thema:

advice on backing up data to an external source please

1. advice on backing up data to an external source please - Similar Threads - advice backing data

2. cannot back up data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot back up data: Hello!... I have not been able to back up my computer data to an external hard drive or any other form of data storage device... Can someone help me with this issue?... Thanks in advance!... Oz...
  3. cannot back up data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot back up data: Hello!... I have not been able to back up my computer data to an external hard drive or any other form of data storage device... Can someone help me with this issue?... Thanks in advance!... Oz...
  4. Back up computer data?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up computer data?: I have a Windows 7 64Bit Pc which has real quirks and therefore I would like to backup all data from it with a program which is free of charge, because the internal backup of Windows MD works. And also I have to figure out how to get Word and all the Microsoft Office...
  5. Backing up data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backing up data: So I'm kinda forced to update windows 10 in order to use Adobe software and upon knowing the bugs that some win10 updates cause I need to backup before applying, my question is do I only have two backup options (file history & backup and restore)? If that's the case I'm...
  6. Need Advice On Backing Up My SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need Advice On Backing Up My SSD: I have a HP - OMEN Obelisk- Intel Core i7-9700 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB SSD . My Win 10 operating system and boot is on the SSD and I only use the HDD for storage of music, videos, pics etc.etc. I backup my HDD on a weekly basis to a...
  7. Advice sought re: backing up two PCs onto one external H.D

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advice sought re: backing up two PCs onto one external H.D: I have made Window 10 System Image backups of two laptops onto one external hard drive. This seemed to work OK insofar as the two backups label which PC they relate to. I also tried to do a File History backup on each laptop but I seem to have ended up with just one File...
  8. Advice on setting up a new HDD for data (not OS)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Advice on setting up a new HDD for data (not OS): Hey all, Purchased a WD Black 2 TB HDD today to replace my old drive. This drive is not for my OS but is used for data - photo's music, my documents, downloaded program installers etc and for system backups. I also run 2 SSD's - one 500GB for the OS and programs and one...
  9. Advice on data recovery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Advice on data recovery: I have a 2T HD that has lots of non-critical data, but still data I'd like to retrieve. What happened is I was trying to create a dual boot system using 100 gigs for booting and the rest for storage. I successfully created these 2 partitions for the HD and then used...
  10. Loss of permission to access to files on data drive - advice please.

in Windows 10 Support
    Loss of permission to access to files on data drive - advice please.: Hello I recently upgraded my dual boot PC to Win 10 Creators edition (both 32 bit & 64 bit installations) - these share access to a data partition. Some files I downloaded in the past few days will not let me open them & give the attached error message. This is very...