Windows 10: advice on browser change

Discus and support advice on browser change in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I've been happily using Firefox for years, but it seems to be getting slower with each new version. My needs are simple. I just want a fast,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Lonestar, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Lonestar Win User

advice on browser change

I've been happily using Firefox for years, but it seems to be getting slower with each new version. My needs are simple. I just want a fast, uncomplicated browser and would appreciate a suggestion to use with Win 10.

There are all kinds of reviews online but again, these change as new versions of the browsers are introduced. I also know that everyone has their favorite for one reason or another, but I'd appreciate your opinion.

Is Firefox about as good as it gets for my needs?.

:)

Lonestar, Dec 2, 2016

2. Advice on Y-Browser

Hi lrmaggot

Perhaps you should look at this post by dan955uk

/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=54403#M54403

I use it myself to get rid of all TomTom thumbnails out of Gallery.

scoobyman---01, Dec 2, 2016
  3. lrmaggot Win User
    Advice on Y-Browser

Morning all

I have recently installed Garmin on my N95-1, however some of the pictures are stored in the gallery on the phone. I was advised that with Y-Browser I could move these to a different folder so as not to have them in the browser but also still have them accessible
    for Garmin to use.

I have successfully downloaded Y-Browser to my phone but am now a little perplexed as to how to move the images accordingly. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve.

lrmaggot, Dec 2, 2016
  4. advice on browser change

Hi:

Firefox "out of the box" is plenty fast on a system whose specs are robust enough to run Win10.

Most slowness and other performance issues originate in the user's profile, not in the program itself.
    I suggest starting with a step-wise process to diagnose and fix the issue on your system.
    The process works its way from purely diagnostic (e.g. Mozilla Safe Mode), to creating a new profile, to wiping out everything and starting from scratch, with several steps in between.

This article explains it better than I can:

Procedures to diagnose and fix problems

Please let us know how that works.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 2, 2016
  5. Also:

We could better assist you if you could please complete the "system spec" part of your forum profile.
    Your profile says "Win7", but your post mentions "Win10".
    The other details would also help....

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 2, 2016
  6. pparks1 Win User
    I used to use firefox, but found the sync features in Chrome worked better for me for syncing to my Windows, Linux and OSX box. Plus, I can sync chrome and safari.

pparks1, Dec 2, 2016
  7. Doc943 Win User
    I've been very happy with Opera on Win 10 Home. Not many extensions but enough to cover most of the basic needs.

Doc943, Dec 3, 2016
  8. Lonestar Win User

advice on browser change

Thanks for the link. Old profile. Question is in regards to two different computers both running Win 10 and adequate hardware.

Lonestar, Dec 3, 2016
  9. Lonestar Win User
    The things I've read about Opera sound interesting.

Lonestar, Dec 3, 2016
  10. FWIW, Fx also has a sync feature.

Sync can be both a blessing and a curse, especially for Chrome/Google.
    We see lots of infected computers in the malware removal fora in which "sync" results in stubbornly persistent malware that continues to respawn on the user's computers.
    I don't need it and -- largely for that reason, I don't use it. But some folks can't live without it...

As you mention an "old" Firefox profile, I suspect that is the root cause of your performance degradation.
    I suggest walking through the steps in the tutorial I mentioned in my earlier reply.
    As a first step, Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode) is a reversible debugging step that helps to isolate the problem to add-ons. It provides guidance in the direction to take to resolve the performance issue.

For the record, one can certainly install several different browsers on the same computer. A user is not limited to only one browser.
    The only downside to that approach is that -- for security and stability -- one needs to be sure to keep each browser (and its add-ons) fully patched and updated.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 3, 2016
  11. torre Win User
    I share your dilemma, always searching for a better browser.

I seem to alternate between FF and Chrome, currently running Chrome Dev. I enjoy experimenting with the developmental versions (FF nightly, Chrome Dev and Chrome Canary). The advantage is they seem much lighter and faster. I have not had stability issues with the dev versions, but note I rarely open more than 2-3 tabs and use minimal extensions.

As you may know, there are other browsers which use the FF source (Pale Moon, Cyberfox, Waterfox) but I did not find much difference in performance compared to FF.

Basically, it is a trial and error task to find the best browser for your system.

torre, Dec 3, 2016
  12. Bree New Member
    Little or no add-ons seems to be the key to speed. I use Firefox, IE and Edge interchangeably (sometimes all three at once). TBH I don't find much difference in performance, they're all fast (being 'add-on lite').

13. advice on browser change

It's really hard to compare any two computers.

My Firefox profiles all include about a dozen add-ons. When I am working on a research/educational project, I may have 10 or 12 tabs open, plus MS Office (Word and PPT), plus SnagIt, Photoshop, Mailwasher Pro and sometimes Pandora or other radio streaming service.
    I see no performance issues or slowness from Firefox. But I have pretty robust hardware.
    And, after a hour or two, I often close the browser session and clear cache/cookies/history/data when I take my "stretch break". I then start a new session.

Most browsers, including Firefox, will take and use available memory to enhance one's experience. That is normal.
    But, if one is running many other, resource-intensive applications and/or if one's hardware specs are less than robust, I suppose a slow-down is possible.
    Another aspect to check: real-time security applications and global plug-ins. They, too, can cause a performance "hit".

Even so, from time to time, it's often a good idea to start with a clean profile (one of the steps suggested in the tutorial I mentioned earlier). That usually fixes minor performance problems.

The bottom line: while it's easy to lay all the blame on the software itself, many performance issues originate at least in part with the user's profile, system specs or other factors.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Dec 3, 2016
  14. I'd recommend SlimJet or Pale Moon, two lesser-known browsers, the former is based on Chromium engine and has lots of features, while the latter is based on Firefox. If you have a lower-end PC, I'd recommend Pale Moon.

Cosmic Eternity, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

advice on browser change

1. advice on browser change - Similar Threads - advice browser change

2. Browsers for Win 10 advice

in Browsers and Email
    Browsers for Win 10 advice: Win 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.685 All browsers mentioned are the very latest, up to date. I seem to be constantly on the search for the 'perfect' browser! For a long time, I found that Edge was great but it began to cause odd issues on some sites. So I went with Google Chrome....
  3. Need help/advice looking for a Browser replacement for FF.

in Browsers and Email
    Need help/advice looking for a Browser replacement for FF.: Hi, Need help/advice looking for a Browser replacement for FF. Some of my wishes are: Ability to import & export log-ins & passwords in the std CSV format. Use my own home pg as the page I see when I call up the browser. Set the browser to send downloads to my warehouse...
  4. Advice ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advice ?: I just want to start by saying I dont know much about computers at all. I just got an oculus rift s. When i plug it in it quickly recognizes it as being plugged into the usb 3 port, and then cuts all power to it. The driver (i think) is giving an error 43 code. The oculus...
  5. Changing browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing browser: I have installed Firefox but am having a hell of a job changing from Internet Explorer to Firefox. When I double click on the icon I go to the Firefox page and it asks me if I want to make Firefox my default browser. Obviously, I click yes but then I'm taken to my default...
  6. Changed registry settings, need advice

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changed registry settings, need advice: Split from this thread. Hi Davem121, I know this may not be the place to ask a question I am new here. I changed some registry settings and was wondering if I could leave the "Start" at 4 or return it to the default value. I have also mistakenly changed the "Default"...
  7. Change the default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the default browser: When I go to settings and click on Apps and choose Default apps I am unable to pick any other browser except Edge or Internet Explorer. There is an option to choose an app from the Microsoft Store but that doesn't help. I am running Windows 10 HOme version 1909 OS build...
  8. changing browsers

changing browsers: I lost my chrome connection and am having trouble accessing my email at Gmail. Can I reinstall Chrome, currently I get a page will not load when I attempt. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-browsers/ac707ab6-f7d7-4105-959c-f3ea24bc7896
  9. Intel to AMD change....advice

in Windows 10 Support
    Intel to AMD change....advice: Hi, i'm looking for a new motherboard/cpu combo to replace my intel set up and complement my vega 56. I currently have i7 7700(non k) and a gigabyte Z270-HD3. I was looking to get a ryzen 5 3600x and a motherboard. i didnt want to spend a fortune and am not worried about...
  10. Changes in the browser

Changes in the browser: I want to add a different search engine to the one that has default my Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10. How should I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changes-in-the-browser/2cb9bdd5-8901-4e2c-890b-c7f5d819115e