Windows 10: Advice on data recovery

Discus and support Advice on data recovery in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a 2T HD that has lots of non-critical data, but still data I'd like to retrieve. What happened is I was trying to create a dual boot system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GerryPeters, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Advice on data recovery

I have a 2T HD that has lots of non-critical data, but still data I'd like to retrieve. What happened is I was trying to create a dual boot system using 100 gigs for booting and the rest for storage.

I successfully created these 2 partitions for the HD and then used Acronis to restore a boot partition. The problem is Acronis likes to have a very small partition area called "system reserved" and then a 2nd partition for the OS.

So when it restored it used my 100 gigs for the system reserved and used the 1900 gigs for the OS. The OS is very small only 20 gigs, so I know most of the data is still there just hidden.

Many years ago when I needed to recover data, I use R-Studio for my XP computer and it did a good job, but I'm sure it won't work for this big HD. So what do any of you recommend?

:)

GerryPeters, Mar 25, 2016

2. lost data and photo's

Thanks for your advice, I will have a look at data recovery companies.

Stuart

stuartwakefield, Mar 25, 2016
  3. Changing of Drive partition letter in windows 10

my 500GB harddisk as shown in the Disk Management has the following partitions:

Windows ( C: ) = NTFS, Healthy, boot, page file, Primary Partition, 194,42 GB

Data ( E: ) = NTFS, Healthy, Primary Partition, 251.54 GB

Recovery ( D: ) = NFTS, Healthy OEM Partition, 18.43 GB

Recovery ( D: ) =Healthy, OEM Partition, 18.43 GB

No volume = Healthy, Recovery Partition, 400 MB

No volume = Healthy, EFI System Partition, 260 MB

No volume = Healthy, Recovery Partition, 900 MB

i wish to change Recovery Drive letter D to say E and the Data drive letter E to D, but when I clip on both The Recovery drive D, no other menu come up for changing the drive letter and the word Help coming out.

Please give advice as how to change the Recovery Drive letter D to other drive letter or to E

Your early advice is greatly appreciated.

thank you

wongling syu, Mar 25, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Advice on data recovery

5. Thanks, I tried it and for the deep scan, it said that it couldn't keep the original file names for the restored files, so I decided to go with EaseUs. after I saw it found my files, It cost $70 to restore them. It did a perfect job. Didn't lose anything. Still thanks for your opinion.

GerryPeters, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Advice on data recovery

1. Advice on data recovery - Similar Threads - Advice data recovery

2. DATA RECOVERY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DATA RECOVERY: Hi,I by my mistake deleted the files using shift+delete.Now i tried to recover them using EASEUS.I recovered them, but when i am trying to open, it says corrupt file or no proper extension.Someone please try to resolve my problem at the earliest....
  3. Data recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data recovery: I have recently found out that my microsoft account was linked to the main admin account of my mothers laptop.I made a new account with admin status, but i read this during the deletion process: Data on this device will be deleted as well.Could you provide any information on...
  4. Data Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data Recovery: I would like to know how long does one-drive store data after the lapsing of licence? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-recovery/2f085b99-536e-429b-897a-fa84e5035765
  5. Data recovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data recovery: Hi, I am helping a family member set up a new laptop. Both the new and old laptop ran Windows 10. The old laptop’s charging port failed, and most data was backed up before the battery died. She is missing literally one folder- so I pulled the hard drive from the laptop and...
  6. Data recovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data recovery: hello everyone, i have a question about data recovery, i have some important data on an external hard drive but the hard drive is making noise and is no longer detected by windows except in the device manager which puts an unknown device, is there any software to recover...
  7. Data recovery

Data recovery: Data recovery software https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-recovery/94f51e0a-7217-4ef7-be8c-c8f54ae041f3
  8. Need recovery advice

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need recovery advice: Back in May of this year, I posted about a problem I was having at that time. Here's the original post: Laptop seems to be in Recovery mode - what now? I got some suggestions but was busy with other things so I simply didn't touch the laptop again for a while. Yesterday, I...
  9. Recovery of data

Recovery of data: laptop was installed with Windows 10. Somehow Windows OS got corrupted hence we had to reinstall the OS again before taking the backup. Hence created the backup on external hard disk without bitlocker. But now we are trying access the data, it is asking for bitlocker key. We...
  10. Data recovery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Data recovery: Hi all, So my laptop died [I do know a dead one when I see one] during a writing session. Totally dead. 2 uninterrupted hours of stream-of-consciousness with background saves every 5 minutes so I guessed I lost 5 minutes worth, max. How wrong am I? My problem is that...