Windows 10: Advice on how to copy ssd to raid array

Discus and support Advice on how to copy ssd to raid array in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I have this PC on my office running Windows 10 20H2 that has some expensive software and I would like to upgrade my 128 GB SSD to a raid 1 with two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Joshy, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Joshy Win User

Advice on how to copy ssd to raid array

Hi, I have this PC on my office running Windows 10 20H2 that has some expensive software and I would like to upgrade my 128 GB SSD to a raid 1 with two 1 TB SSD's for additional capacity and safety.

How should I proceed to copy my current disk directly to the raid array?

Thanks

:)

Joshy, Mar 29, 2021
  2. Ethan Z. Win User

Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management
    Console is not up to date. It suggested I refresh it, relaunch it, or even restart my computer. I tried all three things, and it still wouldn't let me mirror the partition. Then I realized that maybe Windows won't let me create a RAID 1 Array on USB Drives,
    so I went to the original plan I was going to do and grabbed my 500GB External HDD and my 120GB External SSD (they are both USB 3.0 connected enclosures) and when I tried to mirror a partition on my 500GB HDD using my SSD, it wouldn't let me use the SSD to
    mirror it. So then I tried using my internal windows 10 SSD to mirror my HDD. But, I needed to shrink my main partition on my internal SSD and it wouldn't let me shrink it saying there was a certain amount I could shrink it to, but I could only shrink 135MB
    at max and I have 89.4GB free on that partition. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated (and by the way, if you're wondering why I'm trying to run RAID 1 on an external HDD/SSD is just for testing and more file redundancy and performance).

Ethan Z., Mar 29, 2021
  3. 24C
    24c Win User
    M.2 NVMe SSDs in Raid 0 array?

I am not using a RAID card - there are 3 M.2 slots on the mobo - slots 1 & 2 have Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB drives - slot 3 has a Samsung 960 EVO drive .
    I can create a RAID 0 array using the 2 960 Pro drives - but it is not recognized in the Boot options.
    Strip size was changed to the suggested 128KB after this pic was taken
    I have been messing with the BIOS all night trying to figure this out - no luck

Advice on how to copy ssd to raid array [​IMG]

Advice on how to copy ssd to raid array [​IMG]

4. Bazsl1 Win User

Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

I am not going to use hardware RAID. I want to use Windows Storage Spaces to create the RAID 1 array from two identical hard drives.

Do I install Windows on the first hard drive then create the RAID array using Storage Spaces?

When I create the RAID array will Windows automatically mirror the Windows installation including the boot partition to the second drive so the RAID array is bootable?

Are their any steps unique to this setup that I must follow when installing Windows or creating the RAID array so that the RAID array will be bootable?

Bazsl1, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

1. Advice on how to copy ssd to raid array - Similar Threads - Advice copy ssd

2. I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...: I have a 2 drive RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper resource to do so. Any help appreciated, this thing is taking forever to load. Thanks in Advance....
  3. I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...: I have a 2 drive RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper resource to do so. Any help appreciated, this thing is taking forever to load. Thanks in Advance....
  4. I have a RAID Array on Win 10Pro. I want to remove the Raid Array. Need a link to a proper...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to delete RAID 0 array

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to delete RAID 0 array: Hi, I want to delete RAID 0 I made with Storage Spaces. I'ts 4 HDDs and one is having problems. It still works, but I have problem deleting or moving some files. Tried eliminating the HDD from the array, but it won´t let me (stuck at 0,04% use for months) Tried from the...
  6. Convert RAID 0 array to regular drives?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert RAID 0 array to regular drives?: After installing Win 10 Pro 64-bit, my internal HDD RAID 0 array began to show an error on one of the 2 drives at start up (Listed as "error occurred" in red text on the screen that usually has all white text on a black screen), and also it's been acting funny, intermittently...
  7. Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array: Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management Console is not up to...
  8. M.2 NVMe SSDs in Raid 0 array?

M.2 NVMe SSDs in Raid 0 array?: ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 LGA 1151 mobo Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVME PCIe SSDs M.2 drives in M.2 slots 1 and 3 on mobo Can a RAID 0 array be created with the 2 drives? Is it advisable to do so? (I have learned over the years that not everything that CAN be done...
  9. Raid SSD and Trim

Raid SSD and Trim: What is everyone doing with SSD's that are set up in a RAID ? Once you switch to a raid setup you loose the trim function. Is the trim function that important with the current releases of SSD drives ? 35196
  10. Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD

Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD: I updated to Windows 10 Pro with a clean install and had issues with my RAID array showing up as raw format. I was able to take a backup of it from my W7 drive then rebooted into W10 deleted the array in Disk Management, deleted the array in the controller BIOS and then...