Windows 10: Advice on setting up a Windows 10 computer for the kids

Discus and support Advice on setting up a Windows 10 computer for the kids in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I want to repurpose my old Microsoft Surface Pro into a computer for the kids. For this, I am planning to reset the Surface to completely delete work... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by PhilippeBruno, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Advice on setting up a Windows 10 computer for the kids

I want to repurpose my old Microsoft Surface Pro into a computer for the kids. For this, I am planning to reset the Surface to completely delete work related documents and start fresh. All is good so far as I am comfortable with this step.

Where I am facing a dilemma, is when I will have to decide what account to create. I've searched the Internet and I saw several tutorials, but they all start with a running machine and show you how to add parental controls and family accounts. I want to know what to do before that step... To be more clear, I am debating if I should create my personal account the one linked to my OneDrive as an administrative account, or create a new family account with administrative rights, or even perhaps create a local administrative account. If I create a primary account with my personal credentials, I certainly don't want all my OneDrive and other personal files to be copied as it would take lots of space and the prospect of unselecting all the OneDrive folders seems like counterproductive to me! I am really missing something and I need advice.

What is the best/recommended approach? What do other parents do?

:)

PhilippeBruno, Nov 18, 2020
  2. Juzar_Ali Win User

Windows 10 Kids Security

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10. 

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

In order to assist you better, I would like to know the following queries:

• Is the issue confined to a particular user account?
    • What type of account have you logged into? Is it a Microsoft account or local account?
    • Have you logged in as an Administrator?
    • Do you get any error message when you try to restrict your kid to use computer?

To turn on Family Safety, you or at least one designated parent needs an
    administrator account; the kids you choose to monitor each need a standard user account.

To check whether the account you are logged in is administrator or not please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.
    • Type netplwiz and hit enter.
    • See the account you are logged in with.

If you are not logged in as an administrator, I suggest you try logging in as administrator and check.

I would recommend you to reconfigure the Family Safety settings and check if it works.

You can refer link below to setup the account.

Set up your kids' accounts in Family Safety

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-up-kids-accounts#1TC=t1

Note: Applies to Windows 10.

Once that is setup, refer this link to setup the limits for the accounts.

Limit when and how your kids can use the PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/limit-setting-kids-pc#1TC=t1

Note: Applies to Windows 10.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Nov 18, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 18, 2020
  4. Nordic Win User

Advice on setting up a Windows 10 computer for the kids

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

Advice on setting up a Windows 10 computer for the kids

1. Advice on setting up a Windows 10 computer for the kids - Similar Threads - Advice setting computer

2. Turning a windows 10 computer set up as an adult to a Kids computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Turning a windows 10 computer set up as an adult to a Kids computer: I got this new computer for my 9 year olds online learning with windows 10 OS. During the initial setup I used my Microsoft account to set it up and it’s been configured as an adult computer. She had been using this for nearly 6 months now and I need to change it to a kids...
  3. Turning a windows 10 computer set up as an adult to a Kids computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turning a windows 10 computer set up as an adult to a Kids computer: I got this new computer for my 9 year olds online learning with windows 10 OS. During the initial setup I used my Microsoft account to set it up and it’s been configured as an adult computer. She had been using this for nearly 6 months now and I need to change it to a kids...
  4. Turning a windows 10 computer set up as an adult to a Kids computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. setting restrictions for kids

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    setting restrictions for kids: When I set time limits for my kids it will shut down their use after the set time. There is then a button where they can send an email to me to request more time or they can hit my parent is right here and I can enter my password to grant them more time. However, there is...
  6. Windows 10 and computer set up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 and computer set up: HI, My wife uses MS products at school. Her school has a licence for software as educational. In setting up our new PC we were forced to create a hotmail account for logging into the pc. We then wanted to use office 365 and all other parts using her school email...
  7. Setting up accounts for kids

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setting up accounts for kids: Hi I'd like to be able to set up two accounts for the kids on the laptop. One where they can access minecraft, roblox etc. The other where these are blocked so they can only access educational websites that I choose. Is there a way to do this please?...
  8. Help With Microsoft Kid Settings

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Help With Microsoft Kid Settings: When I go into "Your Family" -> "Manage My Child's Profile Info", I'm unable to change any content restrictions. [img] Any ideas? 146937
  9. Advice setting up NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Advice setting up NAS: Any advice would be appreciated as I really haven't got a clue how to set up what I want and the more I research the more confusing it seems to get. The sd card on my phone got corrupted not long ago, luckily I managed to get all my pictures from it but it given me a kick up...
  10. Advice on setting up a new HDD for data (not OS)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Advice on setting up a new HDD for data (not OS): Hey all, Purchased a WD Black 2 TB HDD today to replace my old drive. This drive is not for my OS but is used for data - photo's music, my documents, downloaded program installers etc and for system backups. I also run 2 SSD's - one 500GB for the OS and programs and one...