Windows 10: Advice on upgrading HDD to SSD on Dell XPS 8900

Discus and support Advice on upgrading HDD to SSD on Dell XPS 8900 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS 8900/Windows 10 (20H2) with a 1 TB HD that has the operating system and also a 4 TB HD that I use for storage. I want to replace the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tenofhearts12, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Advice on upgrading HDD to SSD on Dell XPS 8900

I have a Dell XPS 8900/Windows 10 (20H2) with a 1 TB HD that has the operating system and also a 4 TB HD that I use for storage. I want to replace the 1 TB with a 1 TB SSD. I know I will need to purchase an adaptor to install in a 3.5" bay. I was planning on purchasing a Samsung EVO drive. Do I need to go into Disk Management first before I do anything else or can I just use Macrium Reflect to clone my existing 1 TB drive, swap them out and and the ssd will boot up with no issues? I obviously want the process to be easy and painless as possible. Thanks in advance for ideas/suggestions.

:)

tenofhearts12, Nov 19, 2020
  2. ginm13 Win User

Dell XPS 8900 Desktop

I have a dell xps 8900 with windows 10. I have an dvi/hdmi cord to connect to a LG projection TV model RU-44sz61d. When I do this the TV displays what is on the pc but my original monitor wont work. Any ideas. I tried to detect monitors to set up dual
    display but no luck.

ginm13, Nov 19, 2020
  3. Getting BSOD on brand new Dell XPS 8900

I'm using a new Dell XPS 8900 for video streaming purposes and I'm getting frequent BSOD's

Here's the most recent .dmp files: Recent Minidump.zip

HunterJohnathan, Nov 19, 2020
  4. rpmbiz Win User

Advice on upgrading HDD to SSD on Dell XPS 8900

Toobad - most excellent for Dell XPS 8900!

Hello Woodbridge. I have a similar setup with my Dell laptop. I upgraded from win 8.1 to win 10, then cloned the HDD to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD. I replaced the HDD with the SSD and it booted fine. Entered BIOS and saw SATA was set to Intel IRST. Changing to AHCI resulted in boot failure. I have tried to disable/delete the 32 GB cache m-sata SSD in Device Manager and in Computer Management\Disk Management, but it re-appears when I reboot. I think Windows keeps reinstalling it on reboot and then assumes I want a RAID setup. Is that what's causing Windows to reject the AHCI setting? Any thoughts on how to eliminate the m-sata cache drive so Windows only sees one SSD?

rpmbiz, Nov 19, 2020
Thema:

Advice on upgrading HDD to SSD on Dell XPS 8900

1. Advice on upgrading HDD to SSD on Dell XPS 8900 - Similar Threads - Advice upgrading HDD

2. Advice upgrading dell xps 8930 to windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advice upgrading dell xps 8930 to windows 11: Hi Everyone.I am wondering if it is safe to upgrade my dell xps 8930 to windows 11?I spoke to dell and they really were very vague and did not offer any help at all.I have heard and read that the Dell xps 8930 has been tested and will run windows 11.Please find my system...
  3. Advice upgrading dell xps 8930 to windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advice upgrading dell xps 8930 to windows 11: Hi Everyone.I am wondering if it is safe to upgrade my dell xps 8930 to windows 11?I spoke to dell and they really were very vague and did not offer any help at all.I have heard and read that the Dell xps 8930 has been tested and will run windows 11.Please find my system...
  4. Intel Rapid Storage Technology crashes Dell xps 8900

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology crashes Dell xps 8900: I have a Dell xps 8900, IntelR CoreTM i7-6700 CPU 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz, 16.0 GB ram, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor, and dual monitors - both of which are plugged into the nvidia graphics card with hdmi and dvi cables. I've been having issues with one monitor...
  5. Intel Rapid Storage Technology crashes Dell xps 8900

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology crashes Dell xps 8900: I have a Dell xps 8900, IntelR CoreTM i7-6700 CPU 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz, 16.0 GB ram, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor, and dual monitors - both of which are plugged into the nvidia graphics card with hdmi and dvi cables. I've been having issues with one monitor...
  6. Intel Rapid Storage Technology crashes Dell xps 8900

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Dell XPS 8900 will not boot from new SSD: "No boot device found".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell XPS 8900 will not boot from new SSD: "No boot device found".: Dear forum, There seem to be some real experts in this group and I'd be grateful for your advice here. I've installed a new 500 GB Kingston SSD and cloned my existing HDD to it. Both drives show in the drive list, and appear to have the same files on them. I was intending...
  8. windows 10 dell xps 8900 bootloop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10 dell xps 8900 bootloop: I got a dell ups 8900 with 24 gigs of ram and a gtx960 card. Sometimes the computer will just shutdown on its own and I gotta reset the pc from the dell splash screen a few times before it starts up. It will say error windows has booted multiple times....
  9. Dell XPS 13 (9370) Case Advice!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell XPS 13 (9370) Case Advice!: Hi guys, I recently purchased a Dell XPS 13 9370, i'm having trouble finding a case/sleeve for it as i'm not sure whether to buy a 13 inch or 12 inch case... The dimensions for the XPS 9370 are: Width: 11.9" Depth: 7.8" Height: 0.5" I initially tried fitting my xps...
  10. Dell XPS 8900 Desktop: Audio Jacks Hookup Question ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell XPS 8900 Desktop: Audio Jacks Hookup Question ?: Hello, Really totally confused about this, and would be most appreciative for some help and suggestions on. Have a new Dell XPS 8900 desktop PC. Has Realtek integrated audio, apparently. (ALC3861 7.1) I imagine it’s pretty much the same setup for all of their PC’s...