Windows 10: Advice / Recommendation for System Drive Back Up Technique

Discus and support Advice / Recommendation for System Drive Back Up Technique in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. Had a huge scare this morning, after a recent update had to be reverted. Thought I'd lost my system drive. I tried to recover using a USB windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Takeshii Kovacs, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Advice / Recommendation for System Drive Back Up Technique

Hi.

Had a huge scare this morning, after a recent update had to be reverted. Thought I'd lost my system drive. I tried to recover using a USB windows WRE? I made back in April, but anywhere I went on it came up with errors, including full reinstall. I then tried an older Windows 10 Install disk I made last year, but it wouldn't let me install due to another error after selecting what type of Windows I wanted installed. Luckily at the end of my tether, I just let the PC run on the "undoing changes made to your computer" for a while, and to my utter relief it went back to normal (I know I need more patience).

But, now due to the panic I want to cover myself. I have a recondition HP Elite i7 that obviously came from a company. So the Windows installed is registered with what I believe is the Mac address of the Motherboard?

If my System Drive goes capoot, what are my options to get back up and running again, what would you all suggest I do as backup? I have some spare external hard drives laying around and also a few USB drives?

I'm just a little confused about Mirror ISO's and System back up, I don't need my personal files backed up as I do these manually.

Sorry for the long request, basically what is the best, safest method I should use, should my System Drive corrupt, what do I need to go about installing windows.

:)

Takeshii Kovacs, Jun 13, 2019

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Advice / Recommendation for System Drive Back Up Technique :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jun 13, 2019
  3. little cat, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Advice / Recommendation for System Drive Back Up Technique

PC Build Steps

all parts should be here by friday...any last advice? I will follow the step lists we created guys...

anandsap123, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Advice / Recommendation for System Drive Back Up Technique

1. Advice / Recommendation for System Drive Back Up Technique - Similar Threads - Advice Recommendation System

2. Back up Entire Disk and Restore - Recommendations

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up Entire Disk and Restore - Recommendations: Hello Forum, I've got to send in my new HP Spectre notebook for HP warranty repair due to a faulty keyboard. I intend to image the disk to a portable external drive, and then reset the computer to as new condition before I ship. The notebook disk size if 500GB. First,...
  3. system back-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system back-up: how can I create a system back-up on a thumb drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-back-up/de14e33e-9227-4f7e-90c7-a16156eb2ad1
  4. Stylus info, advice, recommendations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stylus info, advice, recommendations: I have a specific question regarding using a stylus with a touch screen. I’ll be taking delivery on an ASUS Zen AIO 27” and I’m excited to get to work since my current computer is woefully under powered, and an old OS. I don’t necessarily NEED a stylus but in some instances...
  5. Stylus info, advice, recommendations

in Windows 10 Support
    Stylus info, advice, recommendations: I have a specific question regarding using a stylus with a touch screen. I’ll be taking delivery on an ASUS Zen AIO 27” and I’m excited to get to work since my current computer is woefully under powered, and an old OS. I don’t necessarily NEED a stylus but in some instances...
  6. System back up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System back up: When I do a backup up on my computer does it back up the programs as well as files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-back-up/e40763d3-5467-4b8f-b4e6-51d81a45f873
  7. Need Advice On Backing Up My SSD

Need Advice On Backing Up My SSD: I have a HP - OMEN Obelisk- Intel Core i7-9700 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB SSD . My Win 10 operating system and boot is on the SSD and I only use the HDD for storage of music, videos, pics etc.etc. I backup my HDD on a weekly basis to a...
  8. Can't Back Up System Files To The Recovery Drive

Can't Back Up System Files To The Recovery Drive: I am attempting to create a Recovery Drive, using an external hard drive. On the screen "create a recovery drive", there is an option to "back up system files to the recovery drive". If I check that box, the next screen "please wait" with the green status bar runs forever,...
  9. advice on backing up data to an external source please

advice on backing up data to an external source please: Sorry but this is a very simple question. I have put in a memory stick into the USB port and it yells me that there are previous files on the stick but on the screen it says drive E is disconnected and all I want to do is to back up my present data, can anyone please tell me...
  10. back up system

back up system: I need to back up files so that I can send my laptop to HP for issues. They asked that I backup my files. Now that I am ready to do this, I am questioning: do I just back up all files? How do I know I have them ALL? Do I need to back up Office since I purchased this...