Windows 10: Advice regarding dual system image backups via Windows 10 and Macrium?

Discus and support Advice regarding dual system image backups via Windows 10 and Macrium? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I want to make system image backups of my main hard drive, using both the built-in Windows Backup and Restore program (I have Windows 10 Professional)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hbenthow, Jan 12, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

Advice regarding dual system image backups via Windows 10 and Macrium?

I want to make system image backups of my main hard drive, using both the built-in Windows Backup and Restore program (I have Windows 10 Professional) and Macrium Reflect Free. I want to use both, in case I would have trouble restoring from one or the other.

I have both a Windows 10 disc (made using the Windows Media Creation Tool) and a Macrium WinPE bootable disc.

First of all, I want to hook up a 1 TB external hard drive (technically an internal SATA drive in an external USB enclosure), and save my backups (from both Windows and Macrium) on it. When it's not in use (ie, being used to create or restore from a backup), I plan to turn the drive off using the power switch on the front of the enclosure. Is this feasible, or would it present problems?

Secondly, must the image files (Windows and/or Macrium) stay on the same drive at all times, or is it possible to move them to another drive (or change the drive letter) and still be able to access them on the new drive or same re-lettered drive from bootable media in the event of the failure of my main hard drive?

Thirdly, being new to all this, is there anything in particular that a first-time practitioner of system image backups such as myself needs to know?

:)

hbenthow, Jan 12, 2017
  2. Linney Win User

System restore files are erased when dual booting...

That is a by product of Dual Boots, it has been so for several years by design. Here is a possible workaround if you want to try, it may or may not work for you.

No restore points are available when you use Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008-based operating systems in a dual-boot configuration together with an earlier Windows operating system

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/926185

Perhaps as an alternate to System Restore you can make use of a decent Backup regime?

How to create Windows 10 system image backup and restore it

How to perform a full Windows 10 system image backup and restore it

How to Create a System Image in Windows 10

How to Create a System Image in Windows 10

Restore it via "System Image Recovery" in Advanced Startup options.

How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8, 8.1, or 10.

Access the Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 or Windows 8

I prefer to use third party software to create a Partition image as I don't fully trust the Windows software to restore any created image.

Image for Windows

TeraByte Unlimited :: TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite :: Image for Windows

True Image 2016 by Acronis

Acronis True Image 2018 -- Overview

Rather than a Dual Boot you could get away with a Virtual Machine instead?

This covers the whole gambit of virtual machines in "Home" versions if you want to have a look at it. Of course you will need a licensed copy of Windows to install and run in any of them.

VirtualBox is an impressive VM contender

VirtualBox is an impressive VM contender

how to install hyper-v on windows 8, or 10 ?

how to install hyper-v on windows 8 ?

Otherwise you are stuck with the current situation, like the rest of us who Dual Boot.

Linney, Jan 12, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade After 29th July 2016

If you want windows 10 for free after July 29th,here is a workaround:

Take a system image of your current OS:

Then upgrade via the ISO.Confirm the activation using digital entitlement by going to Settings>Update and security>Activation.

Restore the Image of 7 created earlier:

Technically speaking,when you upgrade,your license becomes a dual windows 7+10 license so that even if you upgrade later to 10 it would cost you nothing.

There is no timestamp,just the activation using digital entitlements would stop-MS keeps your activation on their servers so that if you reinstall windows it automatically activates.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 12, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Belt and braces eh? Well, you can never have enough backups *Smile

I haven't used Macrium (yet) but by all accounts it is by far the more reliable of the two. I have used Backup and Restore's 'make a system image' extensively though.

In my experience, problems with Microsoft's Backup and Restore are not usually in restoring the image, that seems to work reasonably reliably (as the system I'm using now can attest). Where it can be very temperamental is in being able to find and recognise the image you want to restore. Moving and/or renaming the image can sometimes (but not always) make it 'disappear' as far as searching for restorable images is concerned.

The drive letter you give it In Windows should be of no concern though. When you boot to the recovery environment it assigns its own drive letters as it see fit.

5. To accomplish the OP's needs, he will have to partition that 1tb USB drive into 2 partitions, one will be used for the WiN backup, while the the other will be used for the Macrium backup. I'm pretty sure that you just can't run the WIN backup to a desired sub-directory ? while with Macrium you can place the images in any sub-directory.

storageman, Jan 12, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    No, you can't. It's hard-coded into Backup & Restore. It creates its own folder on the root of your chosen drive called WindowsImageBackup and a folder within that with the name of your PC to hold the image.

Because it uses its own specific folder it shouldn't conflict with other backup methods, separate partitions would seem unnecessary. I certainly keep lots of other unrelated stuff on my backup drives without a problem.

7. hbenthow Win User
    Can the WindowsImageBackup folder be safely moved to a different drive if need be?

hbenthow, Jan 12, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

It can, but as I said earlier, not always 'safely'. Sometimes (but not always) this will 'break' the recovery environment's ability to recognise the image you'd like to restore. I haven't yet been able to reliably determine what works and what doesn't, as I said - very temperamental. What does seem to work is copying it back to its original drive should the copy not be recognised.

9. hbenthow Win User
    So, as long as I keep the files on the original drive (even if I remove that drive from the USB enclosure from time to time), I should be safe?

Also, I should be able to use the same drive for both backup processes without making two partitions?

hbenthow, Jan 12, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Yes, that seems to work reliably for me. Make sure you always eject the USB before powering it down and removing it.

Note that if you want to make a second image it will replace the first. One way to keep multiple images is to rename the first WindowsImageBackup, perhaps using its date as an extension. A new WindowsImageBackup will be created for saving the next image. To restore a particular image, temporarily rename its folder back to WindowsImageBackup.

If all this sounds like a lot of hard work - it is. Macrium is far more flexible and reliable, so I'm told by others in this forum.

11. hbenthow Win User
    I didn't know that. I thought that multiple Windows backups could be stored in the WindowsImageBackup folder.

I suppose it might be best for me to keep Macrium as my main backup method, and create the Windows backups as my "just in case option". That way, I would just let Windows replace its backups each time (without bothering to rename the folder), but keep multiple Macrium backup images (only deleting them if I need to clear space or am certain that I would not want to revert to a certain backup).

Does that sound like a good plan to you?

hbenthow, Jan 13, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Yes, sounds good to me.

Backup & Restore says it can keep multiple images, but it also says it may remove old images should it need the space. There's no user control over this, it just does its own thing - and for me that usually results in it only keeping the latest image. It will always keep images for different PCs in separate sub-folders, but that's not what you are talking about here.

13. NavyLCDR New Member

@hbenthow - you are taking into consideration what would happen should your restore software fail, which is good. Have you considered what will happen if the drive the backups are stored on should physically fail?

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2017
  14. hbenthow Win User
    I may take that into account later, although I do not consider it a main concern at this point.

hbenthow, Jan 13, 2017
  15. hbenthow Win User
    Thanks to everyone for the information and advice. I believe that I now have the information I need to proceed.

hbenthow, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Advice regarding dual system image backups via Windows 10 and Macrium? - Similar Threads - Advice regarding dual

2. Backup VMFS image with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup VMFS image with Macrium Reflect: Has anyone done this? The question could be strung out to backing up "any" unsupported file system. So the partition will appear as unpartioned space instead of unsupported file system which is what set of my alarm bells. I am thinking to back up using the full sector backup...
  3. System image backup in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image backup in windows 10: For storing system image backup, should I have a separate hard drive dedicated to system image backups? Can i use the hard drive to store any other data? How big would a system image file would be? If I had 50gb worth of data in my system, would the image file also be 50gb or...
  4. Windows 10 system image backup

Windows 10 system image backup: No matter how many times I go into control panel, file history, i can't find 'system image backup', on the left side of the page. or any options list https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-system-image-backup/78afed59-2427-44cb-99f4-fa8bb173907b
  5. Macrium and dual boot system.

Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  6. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  7. Windows 10 system image backup

Windows 10 system image backup: Since installing windows on a SSD drive, system image backup fails with an error Messages "Failure in preparing backup image (0x807800C5)" "Specified backup disk cannot be found (0x80780081)"...
  8. Windows 10 System Image Backup

Windows 10 System Image Backup: Sir/Mam I am unable to save a system image backup of my Windows 10. I am getting the following errors.(see attachment). I want to save my backup in my internal drive which is a different disk,( I have 3 separate internal hard disk). Format of partition is NTFS.I even tried...
  9. Problem mounting Macrium backup image

Problem mounting Macrium backup image: My system is Windows 10 and I am running Macrium Reflect v6.3.1835 for backups. I have two partitions - one for the OS and one for Data and I have scheduled regular FULL backups of both partitions, which are written to an external HDD. I am having trouble trying to mount...
  10. Multiple System Images using Backup & Restore - advice?

Multiple System Images using Backup & Restore - advice?: I have a requirement for a machine that can easily be reimaged to various versions of Windows (all 32 bit). This PC gets lent out, to be reimaged on return. It is also used as a reference machine for support purposes, so the systems should be 'pure' Microsoft (meaning Backup...