Windows 10: Advice required - Post Upgrade - Suspect Pro 2 is Bricked

Discus and support Advice required - Post Upgrade - Suspect Pro 2 is Bricked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all *Smile, hope someone can find a fix for me but I fear the worst at this point.*Sad Was a happy Pro 2 user since it was released until the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fisherman, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Fisherman Win User

Advice required - Post Upgrade - Suspect Pro 2 is Bricked

Hi all *Smile, hope someone can find a fix for me but I fear the worst at this point.*Sad

Was a happy Pro 2 user since it was released until the scheduled 10 upgrade yesterday. After upgrade installed with minimal issues, was feeling my way through the new system enjoying music and cortana etc, when started getting a screen freeze while the music continued. After hard reset and opening up the same apps this freeze continued with increased frequency, task manager was showing 100% disc usage. I shut down cortana and all live tiles and freeze continued. I then progressed to searching forums on disc usage and followed suggestions to shut down windows search/super fetch, with no observable improvement.

At this point I gave up and tried to do a refresh keeping my personal documents only, but was not successfull with no progress being indicated and with what I assume was another freeze - I did a hard reset.

I am now unable to boot past the secure boot screen and have a flashing amber led sequence near the power button. (3 x 3, 1 x 4, 1 x 1 long flash - repeat)

Is there an Ob-Wan Kenobi out there to give me hope?

Cheers

:)

Fisherman, Aug 2, 2015

2. Nokia 5130 doesn't boot correctly

Yep, you've most likely "bricked" your phone.

Flashing is warranty voiding, so you will have to try other repairs or forum.

We cannot help you any further here.

The memory card and battery trick is just some common steps to try, but like you mentioned now in your post above, I already suspected that you'd bricked it.

Good luck!

Fender77---01, Aug 2, 2015
  3. insider update build 17040.rs_prerelease.171110-1506 seems to have "BRICKED" my test system.

insider update build 17040.rs_prerelease.171110-1506 seems to have "BRICKED" my test system.

looks like it needs to be rebuilt from scratch, because I can't get in to anything to roll back the upgrade.

at first it got to desktop, but no response to the mouse or key board, many errors from Kaspersky.... PC dead with its eyes open to all effects.

but now after several attempts to get it to restart/reboot etc. it is just a black screen with a mouse pointer.

suspect Kaspersky did not help, advice is turn off virus checkers during upgrades. (I usually have it turned on without noticed problems)

strange power problem has started, I switched off via power button, and it restarts after a minute or two..... ???

Advice to recover without a rebuild from scratch PLEASE.

Thanks Chris

CellZapper, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Advice required - Post Upgrade - Suspect Pro 2 is Bricked

I think you have a hardware failure and need to call Microsoft.

Indianatone, Aug 3, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    I'm not sure if this will work, but someone on the Microsoft Forums suggested this to someone whose Surface would not boot.

1. Attach the Power Supply to the device.
    2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
    3. Repeatedly press and hold the power button for 1/2 second before releasing, wait a few seconds to see if the Surface boots up, if it does not, repeat the process.

6. Obi-wan was busy, so I thought I'd offer a suggestion *Wink

Try a battery out reset (aka hard stop):

Disconnect the AC power / charger
    Disconnect any peripherals, and remove the cover
    Remove the device from a dock if one is used
    - you just want the pro 2, nothing else trying to function

Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds,
    Wait about 15 minutes

Connect the AC power / charger
    Press the power button

Maybe that will do it ...

Slartybart, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Fisherman Win User
    Yes, I fear that the LED sequence may indicate an SSD failure, but I have also read that at the other extreme it is software related due to a bootloader corruption, a result of the hard reset during refresh.

I still have extended warranty that should cover any hardware issue, but I think I may need to download the recovery image for USB, to see if that will establish where the issue lies exactly.

Cheers

Steve

Fisherman, Aug 3, 2015
  8. Fisherman Win User

Hi there, I have now tried the sequence you advise but no change unfortunately.

When I press the power button the Surface logo comes up but with no rotating dots, then after like 30 seconds i get to the secure boot screen. No options there affect the boot loop I am stuck on, what ever I choose (or if I don't change anything), when I exit setup, the restart process repeats.

Fisherman, Aug 3, 2015
  9. Fisherman Win User
    Thanks for that and worth a try, but no change at all. I feel I need to try booting with the recovery image to see if that will perhaps install missing bootloader files to proceed.

3 days to download 6 GB! The joys of being stuck on a remote south atlantic island*cry

Fisherman, Aug 3, 2015
  10. I'm not sure how this tut applies to a Surface, but it's fairly comprehensive for PCs.

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot - Windows 7 Help Forums

This tut often help when you run the repair 3 times (to rebuild the BCD)
    Startup Repair - Windows 7 Help Forums

Yeah, I know the tuts are Win7, but you might find the repair option in advanced or troubleshooting of the recovery options.

What's so terrible about being stuck in a remote South Atlantic island? How far south is that island? *Wink

Good luck

Slartybart, Aug 3, 2015
  11. YOU
    You Win User
  12. YOU
    You Win User
    might actually need to connect a keyboard to r Surface in order to type in Command Prompt.

13. YOU
    You Win User

14. Fisherman Win User
    After the Surface screen I end up with this secure boot screen;

Security Device Support [Enabled]

Secure Boot Control [Enabled]

Install Default Secure Boot Keys

Delete All Secure Boot Keys

Exit Setup

and I am unable to get out of that loop, i.e. if I exit it boots to the surface screen followed by the above secure boot screen and on and on. I briefly had the red surface screen after deleting the secure boot keys as I was trying all the options to get out of the loop, reinstalling the keys returned it to black surface screen.

Once I return home I'll download the recovery image to give that a go.

Thanks for your help, You*Thumbs

Fisherman, Aug 5, 2015
  15. Fisherman Win User
    Thanks, though it looks like MS support suggest if you can't get into the system recovery tools, then go ahead and download a recovery image - that sounds like my surface's issue.
    The Falkland Islands are 300 miles off the South Eastern Argentine coast and the islands are great, it's an interesting and unusual place, a marine mammal and bird paradise...but the internet sux big time!!!*Smile

Fisherman, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Advice required - Post Upgrade - Suspect Pro 2 is Bricked - Similar Threads - Advice required Post

2. Surface Laptop 2 bricked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Laptop 2 bricked: Background info:Hardware: Surface Laptop 2 8GB RAM Intel I5 modelSoftware: Windows 11 Pro Windows insider preview channelProblem:After shutting down my SL2 no new software installed and going to sleep, I wake up the next morning to turn on my SL2.Expected result:Boots into...
  3. Surface Laptop 2 bricked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Laptop 2 bricked: Background info:Hardware: Surface Laptop 2 8GB RAM Intel I5 modelSoftware: Windows 11 Pro Windows insider preview channelProblem:After shutting down my SL2 no new software installed and going to sleep, I wake up the next morning to turn on my SL2.Expected result:Boots into...
  4. Windows Upgrade advice

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Upgrade advice: Hello to all windows community members,This is Kushal from Republic of India, and willing to upgrade to latest windows version 20H2 or 21H1 and if possible to Windows 11I have dell latitude e7440 which is having following specifications.Processor :- Intel core i7 4600U 4th...
  5. PCIe SATA advice required please

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCIe SATA advice required please: I've hit the limit of 6TB drives with my motherboard although no mention of it in the manual and zero response from the manufacturer. So I need a PCIe card which will enable a couple of SATA 8TB drives - no RAID. Have tried one today and apparently that had a 4TB limit...
  6. Suspect Windows 10 Upgrade

Suspect Windows 10 Upgrade: On turning on my laptop I got a message on the sign on screen saying that my version of Windows 10 was out of date and need to be updated so that I would continue to receive security updates after November 2019. It appeared in the same place as the usual Micosoft link which...
  7. Update advice on 2 computers.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update advice on 2 computers.: I have 2 computers that I need advice for... my daughters computer I upgraded to Win 7 a few years ago. My old laptop was upgraded to Win 8 on a new SSD a few years ago also. The laptop died (i guess... no post or anything). Now I have an SSD with the Win 8 upgrade, and my...
  8. Hardware upgrade advice required

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware upgrade advice required: My PC has ECS - H61H2-M2 motherboard. It has 8GB DDR3 RAM. The processor is i3-2100 @3.10 GHz. The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 of 2GB capacity. The power supply is 450W. The motherboard, processor, one stick of 4GB DD3 RAM, power supply were bought in 2011 or 2012....
  9. Help and advice required

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help and advice required: Hi all I'm after a little advice from someone with a little more experience with networking. My lad has figured out that if he changes his MAC address he can bypass parental controls. So, i figured set it up only to allow x MAC addresses. However i was limited to 16...
  10. Upgrade Advice

Upgrade Advice: I am thinking of upgrading my system and would like any advice regarding if I would see a performance enhancement. I play most of the latest games (constant gamer) and some video/photo editing. I am only upgrading motherboard, memory and CPU. Already have a video card and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. h61h2-m2;secure boot