Windows 10: Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD...

Discus and support Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just bought a new laptop that has both an SSD (256 Gb) and an HDD (1Tb). The first thing I did was to set up my internet connection, and I then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Florio, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Florio Win User

Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD...

I've just bought a new laptop that has both an SSD (256 Gb) and an HDD (1Tb). The first thing I did was to set up my internet connection, and I then installed all my old programs. I now want to upload all of my data (documents, music, videos, photos etc.) that I have saved onto an external hard drive.

I would now like to put all data onto the HDD and Windows (and other programs) onto the SSD, and then make sure that all new documents, music and photos get automatically saved onto the HDD. I know how to carry out the second task, but I'm not sure how to put existing data onto the SSD, especially since I am not transferring it. If I place my music, documents and photos into the already existing folders in File Explorer, I am sure that they will go onto the SSD. And I'm not sure how the Windows User profile will have to be modified, if at all.

Can someone offer some advice? Many thanks.

(Windows 10 version 1903)

:)

Florio, Oct 29, 2019
  2. LaytonJnr Win User

SSD advice

Hello,

The Samsung EVO series would always be my first suggestion for an SSD, so good choice IMO. In terms of upgrading, I would keep the HDD for extra storage in the system, especially for something like video files. One piece of advice I would give is consider and look around for options concerning transferring your data from the HDD to the SSD.

Layton

LaytonJnr, Oct 29, 2019
  3. davnav Win User
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following.

Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ?

Next I need help on how to clone the 1tb hdd to the
    Ssd drive, step by step and best software to use and have the ssd as the main drive then use the the 1hdd for storage.I just dont want to break my new system
    Thanks for your time.

davnav, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD...

SSD and HDD

I have a SSD and an internal HDD. I want my docs , scans, pitctures to automatically save to my HDD instead of dragging it later. Or rather I should have the choice of saving it to my SSD or HDD

Leslie1956, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD...

1. Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD... - Similar Threads - Advice sought uploading

2. Data Migration from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data Migration from HDD to SSD: I recently bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SSD to speed up my computer from the Seagate HDD I had been using. I am trying to move everything off of the HDD and onto the SSD. So, I have tried to use the Samsung Data Migration Software multiple times with each time it...
  3. Data Migration from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data Migration from HDD to SSD: I recently bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SSD to speed up my computer from the Seagate HDD I had been using. I am trying to move everything off of the HDD and onto the SSD. So, I have tried to use the Samsung Data Migration Software multiple times with each time it...
  4. Advice on upgrading HDD to SSD on Dell XPS 8900

Advice on upgrading HDD to SSD on Dell XPS 8900: I have a Dell XPS 8900/Windows 10 (20H2) with a 1 TB HD that has the operating system and also a 4 TB HD that I use for storage. I want to replace the 1 TB with a 1 TB SSD. I know I will need to purchase an adaptor to install in a 3.5" bay. I was planning on purchasing a...
  5. Best practices on PC monitor usage advice sought?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Best practices on PC monitor usage advice sought?: Hi, I have a 23" LCD monitor that has its own power adapter/brick that I use with my desktop PC as a Home PC. When I shutdown the PC overnight that obviously cuts the HDMI connection to the monitor so the monitor then goes to sleep. However, when in sleep mode the monitor...
  6. Best practices on PC monitor usage advice sought?

in Windows 10 Support
    Best practices on PC monitor usage advice sought?: Hi, I have a 23" LCD monitor that has its own power adapter/brick that I use with my desktop PC as a Home PC. When I shutdown the PC overnight that obviously cuts the HDMI connection to the monitor so the monitor then goes to sleep. However, when in sleep mode the monitor...
  7. Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD

Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD: Hi everyone, I migrated to Windows 10 from 8.1 during Windows Insider Program's first days and kept getting updates from Update section till now. Recently I found my PC not working fast enough and I decided to buy a new SSD hard drive and reinstall my Windows on it. In the...
  8. intergation data partition in HDD into ssd

intergation data partition in HDD into ssd: After migrating the system and OS +programs from HDD to SSD, I am left with the choice of either keeping the Data Files ( < 5Gb) that I had in the HDD as a separate partition in the SSD or integrate it into the c drive in one large partition . If I want to integrate it with...
  9. Audio Advice Sought - Simultaneous Headphones and Speaker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Advice Sought - Simultaneous Headphones and Speaker: Hi I have recently built my first Desktop. Bit like a Meccano set (yes I am that old). My problem is that I am hearing impaired and want to use my headphones to listen to programs we watch on the TV (from where we have them stored on the computer), while my wife listens to...
  10. Advice on setting up a new HDD for data (not OS)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Advice on setting up a new HDD for data (not OS): Hey all, Purchased a WD Black 2 TB HDD today to replace my old drive. This drive is not for my OS but is used for data - photo's music, my documents, downloaded program installers etc and for system backups. I also run 2 SSD's - one 500GB for the OS and programs and one...