Windows 10: Advice sought re: backing up two PCs onto one external H.D

Discus and support Advice sought re: backing up two PCs onto one external H.D in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have made Window 10 System Image backups of two laptops onto one external hard drive. This seemed to work OK insofar as the two backups label which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gordon99, Feb 3, 2019.

1. gordon99 Win User

Advice sought re: backing up two PCs onto one external H.D

I have made Window 10 System Image backups of two laptops onto one external hard drive. This seemed to work OK insofar as the two backups label which PC they relate to. I also tried to do a File History backup on each laptop but I seem to have ended up with just one File History. When doing the second File History I seemed to run into some difficulty. For one thing, messages appeared saying I had to reconnect the external H.D which I had not disconnected. Also, I do not think the program was able to distinguish the second File History from the first although, as I said, they were from different PCs. I ended up with one File History.

Are there problems putting such backups from different PCs onto one external H.D that I should be aware of? I also wonder if I would run into problems if I had to use one of the system image backups to restore one of the PCs i.e would the program correctly identify which image it had to use? Any inf. please.

:)

gordon99, Feb 3, 2019
  2. Korky41 Win User

why dont my external h/d work on my computer.

why don't my external h/d work on my computer. but will work on my niebours both are on win 10.

Korky41, Feb 3, 2019
  3. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Feb 3, 2019
  4. Advice sought re: backing up two PCs onto one external H.D

why dont my external h/d work on my computer.

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered when using an external device on your Windows 10 computer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this article:
    USB port may stop
    working after you remove or insert a USB device
    . Once you’re on the page, you may proceed with the steps under the
    Resolution section, and then complete the process. After completing the steps, you may check if you’re able to use the external hard drive on your PC.

Keep us updated about your concern for additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

Advice sought re: backing up two PCs onto one external H.D

1. Advice sought re: backing up two PCs onto one external H.D - Similar Threads - Advice sought backing

2. One Microsoft account, two PCs?

in Windows 10 Customization
    One Microsoft account, two PCs?: Let's say someone knows my Microsoft account data and logs in with my account on another PC kilometers away from mine. Will I receive a notification about this activity? Can the person change something in my PC settings (e.g. admin rights, account type on my PC)? Ein...
  3. How to back up File Histories for two PCs onto one External drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to back up File Histories for two PCs onto one External drive: I have two laptops, both with Windows 10. I want to put File Histories from each onto one external drive. How can I be sure the two File Histories will not merge into one? Is it a case of setting up separate partitions on the the external drive and in effect having separate...
  4. advice on backing up data to an external source please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    advice on backing up data to an external source please: Sorry but this is a very simple question. I have put in a memory stick into the USB port and it yells me that there are previous files on the stick but on the screen it says drive E is disconnected and all I want to do is to back up my present data, can anyone please tell me...
  5. Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD...

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD...: I've just bought a new laptop that has both an SSD (256 Gb) and an HDD (1Tb). The first thing I did was to set up my internet connection, and I then installed all my old programs. I now want to upload all of my data (documents, music, videos, photos etc.) that I have saved...
  6. Best practices on PC monitor usage advice sought?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Best practices on PC monitor usage advice sought?: Hi, I have a 23" LCD monitor that has its own power adapter/brick that I use with my desktop PC as a Home PC. When I shutdown the PC overnight that obviously cuts the HDMI connection to the monitor so the monitor then goes to sleep. However, when in sleep mode the monitor...
  7. Best practices on PC monitor usage advice sought?

in Windows 10 Support
    Best practices on PC monitor usage advice sought?: Hi, I have a 23" LCD monitor that has its own power adapter/brick that I use with my desktop PC as a Home PC. When I shutdown the PC overnight that obviously cuts the HDMI connection to the monitor so the monitor then goes to sleep. However, when in sleep mode the monitor...
  8. Back Up: I use W10 file back up, onto an external drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back Up: I use W10 file back up, onto an external drive: I use W10 file back up, onto an external drive. It is set to save files for 1 month, but it saves them forever. Is there a way to get it to delete anything that was saved more than a month ago? Thank You 141968
  9. Activating two PCs using one account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activating two PCs using one account: Hello everyone. I have an Acer Aspire E1-572G notebook running windows 10. I upgraded it about two years ago from windows 8.1. I also have an old ASUS P5B SE running windows 7. I read somewhere that windows 10 works better than windows 7 on old PCs; So I want to install...
  10. Audio Advice Sought - Simultaneous Headphones and Speaker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Advice Sought - Simultaneous Headphones and Speaker: Hi I have recently built my first Desktop. Bit like a Meccano set (yes I am that old). My problem is that I am hearing impaired and want to use my headphones to listen to programs we watch on the TV (from where we have them stored on the computer), while my wife listens to...