Windows 10: Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD

Discus and support Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Currently I'm dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from an old 500 GB HDD. I got a 120 GB SSD and I want to transfer both the OS to the SSD. Youtube... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Paper_Nap, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD

Currently I'm dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from an old 500 GB HDD. I got a 120 GB SSD and I want to transfer both the OS to the SSD. Youtube tutorials were a bit confusing so I would like some input on the way I'm planning to achieve this.

Firstly, I'm planning to remove Ubuntu from my system using this tutorial. Then I'm planning to install Windows 10 on the SSD with this tutorial ( I'll choose custom install and then select the SSD to install Windows 10 on). After this I'll change boot order to boot from SSD first. After this I'll install Ubuntu /other linux distro on the SSD normally.

Is this the correct way? And what would happen to the Windows 10 files that were earlier on the HDD? Any way to deal with them? And finally it would be convenient for me if my Windows 10 programs and files were not messed up but that is not a big issue.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/Paper_Nap
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Paper_Nap, Dec 2, 2020
  2. Ediolot Win User

Dual boot on SSD and HDD (Windows 10 and Ubuntu)

I have an Acer Aspire S3 (20GB SSD and ~500GB HDD) and I want to install Windows 10 on the SSD while creating a ~400GB partion on the HDD for windows. I would use the other 100GB on the HDD to install Ubuntu (I wont be using Ubuntu very often). This is what I did:

1. Format the SSD and the HDD
    2. Install Windows 10 on the SSD
    3. Use diskpart to create a partition of 400GB in the HDD
    4. Configure windows
    5. Install Ubuntu
      • Create partitions for swap, / and /home in the 100GB of the HDD
      • Tell Ubuntu to install the boot loader on the SSD

But now, the computer start's always with windows instead of loading grub. I took a look at the Bios boot order then, but I couldnt find the SSD (I thought that was the reason why grub wasnt loading (?)). This was the boot order:

1. USB HDD:
    2. HDD: Hitachi HTS54...
    3. USB FDD:
    4. Network Boot:
    5. USB CDROM:

(Hitachi HTS54 ... Is my HDD)

Is there anyway to repair this or any steps to do it correctly ?
    Thanks

Ediolot, Dec 2, 2020
  3. HDD Issue Windows 10

Recently i upgraded to windows 10.

During the update, it failed several times but after suggestions from forum i removed my HDD drive and successfully updated to windows 10 with my SSD , after the update Windows doesn't detect my HDD,

Situation

1. My HDD and SSD both are visible in BIOS options,( I have UBUNTU in HDD and windows in SSD i can easily boot in ubuntu with my hdd )

2. But my windows 10 cant detect it, it's not even shown in Device Manager.

3. Even windows under advanced startup options (Boot with USB ) can detect my HDD and shows Ubuntu in it.

Now what to do , i can do nothing as its not showing in device manager.??????

BalarkTiwari, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD

Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD

1. Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD - Similar Threads - Advise shifting Ubuntu

2. Windows 10 from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 from hdd to ssd: Just bought a new ssd and was about to transfer windows to it from hdd. Was wondering if its worth to do this after formating the pc or before because im gonna format it anyway. submitted by /u/PixieSword [link] [comments]...
  3. shift windows 10 from HDD to SSD

shift windows 10 from HDD to SSD: Hi I have original Windows 10 in my laptop, and I want to install SSD as caddy or M2, how can I retain this original windows 10? I don't have any key to the windows, as it came pre-installed with the Windows. And I don't know to which microsoft account the windows is linked...
  4. transfer of windows 10 from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    transfer of windows 10 from hdd to ssd: I have windows 10 pre installed on my laptop, OPM. it now on my hdd, I want to transfer it from hdd to ssd which I install by myself . is it possible? or not? if possible please explain the process....
  5. How to shift my Windows 10 from HDD to my SSD?

How to shift my Windows 10 from HDD to my SSD?: Bought a brand new laptop, windows in hdd. How to migrate the OS to ssd, detailed steps would be helpful. Or would it be better if I do a clean reinstall? If so, what are the steps to do it? submitted by /u/pizzawithbananas [link] [comments]...
  6. Moving Windows 10 to an SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows 10 to an SSD from HDD: So I'm upgrading my current PC replacing mobo, cpu, ram, and adding an m.2 ssd but I would like to transfer windows 10, and only windows 10 to the ssd to be the boot drive and game storage device while keeping the hdd and what's on it intact, what would be the best way to go...
  7. Booting Up Windows Ubuntu On SSD, Windows on HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting Up Windows Ubuntu On SSD, Windows on HDD: Hello People, This morning i tried booting up into Windows 8.1, and i got this error Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer Choose your...
  8. Migrating Windows 10 from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating Windows 10 from HDD to SSD: Hello, I am wondering if I just could migrate just my OS to an SSD doing the migrating process. I don't want to copy my whole HDD to my new SSD. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-windows-10-from-hdd-to-ssd/411f6021-060f-4c04-84ff-9717fdf94012"
  9. SSD-Windows 10 + Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    SSD-Windows 10 + Ubuntu: In the computer I have a 120 GB SSD and a 1000 GB HDD. In DDE (formatted in a single partition) I installed Windows 10 Pro. I would like to install all in the SDS a Linux distribution. How do I do? Thank you very much. 107065
  10. Upgrading from HDD to SSD on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from HDD to SSD on windows 10: I will be upgrading my hard drive to an ssd and due to the smaller size i can't just copy the entire disc so i figured i should do a clean install as i have a bunch of junk on my current install and had some questions. 1.First is how will i activate the new version of...