Windows 10: ADW Cleaner ghosts

Discus and support ADW Cleaner ghosts in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Had a little mishap the other day, a download went bad and I stopped it's installation when I noticed some hanky-panky going on. Immediately run Mbam,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CountMike, Nov 9, 2016.

1. CountMike New Member

ADW Cleaner ghosts

Had a little mishap the other day, a download went bad and I stopped it's installation when I noticed some hanky-panky going on. Immediately run Mbam, WD, Eset online and few more and all suspects were deleted. Only ADW Cleaner found some stuff still left, cleaned it but still comes up with same "Threats".

ADW Cleaner ghosts [​IMG]

Normally, I would go into registry and clean/change it myself but the kicker is I can't find any of those entries in the registry.

:)

CountMike, Nov 9, 2016

2. WIN 10 BSOD, seems completely random.

I will run ADW Cleaner tomorrow after work as it is getting too late at the moment.

What was the result of running ADW Cleaner?

Gerry C J Cornell, Nov 9, 2016
  3. Pop-up Scam or Microsoft?

The machine now has the PUP.Optional.Legacy that Malware and ADW cleaner can’t remove for good. It detects on ADW cleaner, asks for a reboot then returns after windows 10 starts again.

LMK

Bryan4309402, Nov 9, 2016
  4. ADW Cleaner ghosts

Hi:

Possible F/Ps may be reported in the special forum reserved for AdwCleaner tech support here.

The team are probably the best folks review your data to determine whether or not those may be F/P detections.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 9, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    Tnx, I just sent them report. Will see what they have to say. Considering there are no entries like that in the registry must be some false positives.

CountMike, Nov 9, 2016
  6. TairikuOkami, Nov 9, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    My problem is that that entry does not exist in Registry at all. I'm not aware of any hidden registry values. Also tried with "Registry Finder" and "Registry Workshop".

CountMike, Nov 9, 2016
  8. ADW Cleaner ghosts

Have you restarted after cleaning? Maybe it is just a leftover in MRU/history/pagefile or something like that?

TairikuOkami, Nov 9, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Yep, ADW Cleaner insists on restart, checked for those entries before and after restart.

CountMike, Nov 9, 2016
  10. Sadly it looks, that adwcleaner has become scareware faster than I have expected, once malwarebytes took over. *Shock

TairikuOkami, Nov 9, 2016
  11. eLPuSHeR Win User
    AdwCleaner is known to have got false positives since its inception. It's very common and it usually gets resolved after an update. That's why it's always advisable to check To Clean results prior to doing the actual cleaning.

PS - I am pretty curious as to why TairikuOkami despises AdwCleanear adquisition by Malwarebytes that much. As far as I know Malwarebytes products aren't bad per se.

eLPuSHeR, Nov 9, 2016
  12. Yep, the developers/authors have been responding to a F/P thread for AdwCleaner at bleeping for a long time, long before the acquisition.
    (And nearly all major, independent malware removal tools have similar threads there or at another forum.)

No tool is 100% free from false positives/bugs/glitches.
    The recent acquisition by Malwarebytes will put resources into product development and support that independent developers might not have.

To brand the product from a well-respected, white-hat security software vendor as "scareware", with no data and especially at a third-party forum, rather than at the product's own official forum for prompt viewing and reply by the developers, seems a bit unfair, at best.
    I'm sure that the team would welcome feedback (positive and negative) at that forum HERE.
    That would be the best way to directly impact the product's development, improvement, etc.

EOD for me,*Smile
    MM (entirely unaffiliated with Malwarebytes)

MoxieMomma, Nov 9, 2016
  13. Kol12 Win User

ADW Cleaner ghosts

Is AdwCleaner a recommended software to have installed and run regularly or only as a cleanup tool after infection?

Kol12, Nov 14, 2016
  14. CountMike New Member
    There's no classical installation, it's portable and not a resident program. You can run it from original downloaded file as you see fit.

CountMike, Nov 14, 2016
  15. Kol12 Win User
    Right, might as well see if I have some adware... With all of the ad blocking extensions I use it's probably not likely though?

Kol12, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

ADW Cleaner ghosts

1. ADW Cleaner ghosts - Similar Threads - ADW Cleaner ghosts

2. COMBO CLEANER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COMBO CLEANER: HiI had combo cleaner scan my system but they want me to pay to remove this threat i removed combo cleanerhow to i remove the threat?THANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/combo-cleaner/ab8d9592-f5c8-440c-b732-60b6328bf1b4
  3. A2Z CLEANER

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A2Z CLEANER: How dangerous is the A2Z CLEANER scam? Did they extract all my files? All my personal info? Do I have to cancel all my credit card, banking accts., change all passwords, make a police report, put a fraud alert on the Experian? I paid them $499.99. How can you notify me...
  4. cc cleaner

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cc cleaner: cc cleaner is asking me clean error in the registry is this safe to do [ATTACH]try is this safe to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cc-cleaner/7dc60a87-e38c-4f2f-bc3f-c020d729a029
  5. Taken to the cleaners.

Taken to the cleaners.: It seems I allowed myself to be scammed by someone claiming to be from Microsoft. While starting up my laptop a message came stating my unit was locked and do not turn off the computer without calling the support number provided. Stupid me, I called. One thing led to another...
  6. Registry cleaners

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry cleaners: What is your opinion about registry cleaning programs? Are they useful or not so much, and which ones would you recommend? I've been using JetClean for a while and, while it says it cleans a lot of shortcuts, RAM etc., there doesn't seem to be any noticeable improvements...
  7. cleaners

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cleaners: Is ccleaner something that should be renewed or is there a program already offered in Windows 10 or with my hp computer. where can you find what is needed or not needed? seems a lot of ads for registry and files or interent history is being advertised and never sure if it...
  8. ADW Cleaner: what do all those items mean?

ADW Cleaner: what do all those items mean?: I have been recommended to use aDWCleaner from time to time. I have just run it for the first time and don't know how to react to one list: Registry. (Please see attachment). One site says "HKLM is part of Windows Registry , it contains information about your software and...
  9. Kaspersky Cleaner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kaspersky Cleaner: Kaspersky Lab is well known for its security products. While it’s popular products like Kaspersky Antivirus and Kaspersky Internet Security are paid solutions, Kaspersky Lab does offer couple of free tools for Windows operating system. One of them is Kaspersky Cleaner....
  10. Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows cleaner, registry cleaner recomendations PLEASE!: I have used Ccleaner and REVO to clean and maintain my Windows environment. So I am looking for your thoughts and comments as to what you recommend for cleaning Windows and Windows registry. And if you could add why I would really appreciate it. I feel that registry...