Windows 10: Adware and PUPs are getting nastier

Discus and support Adware and PUPs are getting nastier in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've seen this at BleepingComputer and thought it may be interesting for wider audience ... Potentially unwanted programs or applications are... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AndreTen, Apr 22, 2017.

1. AndreTen Win User

Adware and PUPs are getting nastier

I've seen this at BleepingComputer and thought it may be interesting for wider audience ...

Potentially unwanted programs or applications are considered adware by some folks and "just something that you have to pick up, if you want another application" by some time now. They all come along with free (also "free") variants of software.

Few years back, distributers, some software portals and also authors jump on the vagon of extra payment and start bundling their software with extra offers or additional included programs. Think OpenCandy was one of the most controversial among them. After it settle down a bit, because legal practice was, that user have to had control over what is installing and if they select "custom install" all extra programs could be unselected, offering PUPs became almost acceptable.

Look like distribution of "free" programs is getting complicated once again. BleepingComputer reports about Smartservice" that takes care users can't disable PUP service anymore. It disable detection of service by most of Antivirus software and is real pain ... to get rid of.

Any antivirus software will detect this service as malware, until it is installed in one way or another. Once installed, it will disable removal capabilities.

Pay attention to this one.

:)

AndreTen, Apr 22, 2017
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Apr 22, 2017
  3. quietman7 - MVP, Apr 22, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Great. Just great. Another reason to make images on a regular basis for quick, sure recovery.

simrick, Apr 22, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    In the old days of books and pen and paper we never had any problems with malware never got an infected pen

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Adware and PUPs are getting nastier - Similar Threads - Adware PUPs are

2. Adware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Adware: Please help! Urgent!Adwcleaner found 6 items!Pup. Optional Assistant 1 itemPup.optional.Legacy 4 itemsPup.optional.mediaget 1 itemWhen I press next, I see preinstalled software which comes from Acer.I dont know what to do!Help me delete! Please help!!...
  3. pup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pup: how do i remove PUP.Optional.AdvancedSystemCare https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pup/0f204772-95d8-429d-a40f-d1e3cd67c85b
  4. PUP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PUP: Hi everybody, I have seemed to have picked a potentially unwanted program. I keep getting redirected to a bing page once I have typed a search query in Google. Currently my McAfee suite is picking anything up. Malwarebytes was mentioned when I searched for some answers as...
  5. PUPs deiected. What are PUPs?

PUPs deiected. What are PUPs?: Split from this thread. When i delete my corrupted files is it normal when it said pups?And What is PUPS what are they?and thank for the link i have the same issues....
  6. PUPs

PUPs: How do you set Windows 10 to block PUPs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/pups/4a7c74c9-9590-4a41-a94a-f237d686d00a
  7. Why AdWare protection , PUA ,and PUP protection are not enabled by default in windows...

Why AdWare protection , PUA ,and PUP protection are not enabled by default in windows...: I recently saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXALM70DfGI ( from britec09) , and he showed us in this video how to enable these protections , and now , why these protections are not enabled by default ? WD is a good antivirus , and i've hever had problems with it...
  8. Adware

Adware: i m facing serious adware problem. redirecting webpage automatically, opening new browser windows and many more.... tried many things but not helping that much those are coming back again... any permanent or solid solution??? 39218
  9. Pups

Pups: I have two PUPS that will not go away. I have Windows 10 with Chrome. I have disabled the extensions then reset Chrome but they persist. Should I reinstall Chrome or is there a better way to remove them? I use MBAM and have run Adware. I have Defender with the native...
  10. List of Apps that install Adware/Malware/PUPS behind your back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List of Apps that install Adware/Malware/PUPS behind your back: Hi, tenforum people. I am thinking it would be useful to make a list of those Apps that install Adware/Malware and the such and tend to hijack your browser too even if you select Custom Installation and opt out of those "fantastic" offers. This even happens when...