Windows 10: AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error

Discus and support AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Krishna GopalRoy, Dec 10, 2020.

1. AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error

AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error

:)

Krishna GopalRoy, Dec 10, 2020

2. Windows 10 – Intel SGX AESM Platform Services initialization fails due to DAL error on XPS 15 9570

May have worked when the notebook came out of the box; unfortunately I have never had occasion to inspect SGX activity or the Intel Management Engine before.

The file vs. of LMS.exe is 1928.12.0.1287, dated 8/5/2019. It is reasonable that this would be a recent version, as I recently installed Dell's Intel Management Engine package vs. 1932.12.0.1298_A04.

I wish I could inspect some other Windows 10 machines to see if they have
    “AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error”
    events.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

JonMarkOliver, Dec 10, 2020
  3. Windows 10 – Intel SGX AESM Platform Services initialization fails due to DAL error on XPS 15 9570

When I run the “CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor” vs. 2.0.3201.0 I receive error # 21205: “The required Intel SGX … wasn’t started.” This renders Ultra HD Blu-ray discs unplayable.

I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 (2018) notebook computer with a 59 Hz UHD IPS @ 3840 x 2160 monitor, BIOS 1.15.0 dated 25Dec2019, released 14Jan2020, 32GB DDR4.

The CPU is an 8th gen. Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.20+ GHz, Coffee Lake chipset, Intel UHD Graphics 630 [driver vs. 25.20.100.7262].

The machine is also equipped with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q board, but Intel is the default GPU.

OS: Windows 10 10.0.18362.628 (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)

[I gather that this = the May 2019 Update, “Version 1903”]

Intel SGX is enabled in the BIOS and set to allocate 128 MB
    (I notice in the Task Manager that the Intel SGX Application Enclave Services Manager is using between 0.3 MB & 2.5 MB depending on when I look). [No running process has allocated to itself 128 MB of RAM (although arguably SGX RAM isn’t listed here).]

The Windows Device Manager, under “System devices” lists the 'Intel Software Guard Extensions Device' (driver 2.5.100.2 dated 9/19/2019) – there are no flags; the device is working properly.

Prior to an Intel driver update, the “Intel SGX Application Enclave Service (AESM)” was shown to be running.

Currently, the “Intel SGX AESM” service is listed as running.

According to the Event Viewer’s SGX/Diagnostic informational entries, the AESM Service PSW vs. is 2.5.101.3 (this is Intel’s latest release, dated 11/22/2019).

SERVICE STATUS – On this notebook, it occurred exactly ONCE (out of 1,758 events) in the Event Viewer, SGX/Admin event log that a “Critical” error happened described
    as “AESMService: SGX is Disabled at AESM Service startup”. Since this only happened once, I don’t see it as highly significant.

However, there are frequent “Warning”s to the effect that “AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL
    error
    ”. {DAL = Dynamic Application Loader
    (the DAL HIS is installed by the Intel Management Engine installer)}Most
    log entries say, “AESMService: Platform Services initializing”
    OR “AESM Service started”.
    Unfortunately, it appears to be the case that the most recent entryin the event list is
    typically an initialization failure warning …
    so I seem to be perpetually in a non-operative state, even though the service is listed as running,

ACTIONS – I went to the BIOS and disabled SGX, restarted, tested, went back to the BIOS, re-enabled SGX, retested, all to no avail.

I keep my system updated and nothing appears to be amiss with the Intel Management Engine. Nevertheless, I downloaded and did a repair installation of Dell’s package “Intel Management Engine Components Installer” vs. 1932.12.0.1298 (A04) dated 9Aug19.
    The “CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor” still fails with error # 21205 and I still get
    “AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error”
    events.

As this point, I am aware of no additional steps I can take. I would have expected that by 2018 issues with Intel SGX (and DAL HIS) would have been sorted.

I notice from the forum that when Windows 10 build 17083 was released, suddenly SGX was no longer operable for many users. Naturally, I wonder if my problem is a Windows issue as well.

I purchased this painfully top-dollar Microsoft-based Ultra HD notebook with every expectation that I would be able to play Ultra HD video on it, but I am stymied.

What should I do now?

JonMarkOliver, Dec 10, 2020
  4. AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error

Windows 10 – Intel SGX AESM Platform Services initialization fails due to DAL error on XPS 15 9570

I believe you could go ahead and install the Intel Software Guard Extensions Platform Software driver from Dell without uninstalling anything.

I don't have a contact at Microsoft for this but I might suggest to post on the Intel SGX forum as the issue involves that platform:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-s...

As I mentioned before the issue could be something blocking, for instance a network issue as suggested by this warning in the Event Application Log:

AESMService - AESMService: White List update failed due to network error

This link mentions the network requirements:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-s...

In the following link from Cyberlink for Error 21205 states

"4. Ensure PowerDVD is not blocked/redirected by antivirus/firewall software protection, and allow PowerDVD to access Internet connection for Intel SGX online verification/activation."

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.d...

Consider temporarily uninstalling Avast (use Windows built-in security software) or check that Avast in not blocking SGX.

Note: The above are non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

auggy [Directly], Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error

1. AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error - Similar Threads - AESMService Platform Services

2. In windows 11 enterprise edition, I have events 103 AESMService: Platform Services...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In windows 11 enterprise edition, I have events 103 AESMService: Platform Services...: I'm running an hp all-in-one and am getting event id 103, AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error. I believe I have followed all the usual steps to resolve to no avail., including:sfc /scannowDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth chkdsk I...
  3. In windows 11 enterprise edition, I have events 103 AESMService: Platform Services...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In windows 11 enterprise edition, I have events 103 AESMService: Platform Services...: I'm running an hp all-in-one and am getting event id 103, AESMService: Platform Services initialization failed due to DAL error. I believe I have followed all the usual steps to resolve to no avail., including:sfc /scannowDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth chkdsk I...
  4. Failed to initialize BattlEye Service: Driver Load Error 577.

Failed to initialize BattlEye Service: Driver Load Error 577.: Failed to initialize BattlEye Service: Driver Load Error 577. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-initialize-battleye-service-driver-load/a73088e2-5544-4a74-b681-4d930f1cfb07
  5. Failed to initialize BattlEye Service: Driver Load Error 577.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Failed to initialize BattlEye Service: Driver Load Error 577.: Failed to initialize BattlEye Service: Driver Load Error 577. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-initialize-battleye-service-driver-load/a73088e2-5544-4a74-b681-4d930f1cfb07
  6. Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.: I am trying to clone my partition on windows bootcamp using AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.13.1 however it keeps coming up with the error "Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system." I have already tried CHKDSK.EXE in CMD and reinstalling windows however this...
  7. Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.: I am trying to clone my partition on windows bootcamp using AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.13.1 however it keeps coming up with the error "Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system." I have already tried CHKDSK.EXE in CMD and reinstalling windows however this...
  8. Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.

9. Windows 10 – Intel SGX AESM Platform Services initialization fails due to DAL error on XPS...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 – Intel SGX AESM Platform Services initialization fails due to DAL error on XPS...: When I run the “CyberLink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor” vs. 2.0.3201.0 I receive error # 21205: “The required Intel SGX … wasn’t started.” This renders Ultra HD Blu-ray discs unplayable. I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 2018 notebook computer with a 59 Hz UHD IPS @ 3840 x 2160...
  10. AESMService: SGX is Disabled at AESM Service startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AESMService: SGX is Disabled at AESM Service startup: j aimerai avoir de laide avec çà svp https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/aesmservice-sgx-is-disabled-at-aesm-service/c4b7cc9b-30de-4646-893e-60f0c80dc59d