Windows 10: After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly.

Discus and support After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As I said, since the new update, I cannot use a DVD drive properly in this device. The symptoms are these: -If the drive is connected and the driver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by FranciscoRodríguez Melgar, Jan 1, 2019.

1. After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly.

As I said, since the new update, I cannot use a DVD drive properly in this device. The symptoms are these:

-If the drive is connected and the driver is not installed when the computer starts, it starts normally, but the device manager won't open (with any method to open it) and, at some point, the apps and system start to freeze (I suppose they block because some call to the driver/device never ends)

-If the driver is installed, in the moment of restartin' the computer, I can log in normally into Windows, but the desktop or taskbar never show, I only get a cursor in a black screen. Ctrl+win+shift+b makes the beep, but the desktop does not show.

-The only way to go out the state I explained in the last point is disconnecting the dvd drive from the SATA port and, then, and only them, you're able to open taskmanager and restart explorer.exe, then the desktop shows normally.

Now, what have I tried? I tried uninstalling the driver, updating the driver (it's the generic cdrom.sys so it does not do anything). Tried updating and reinstalling graphic driver. I tried several sata dvd drive (3, different models and brands, and all of them work properly in other operating system, but you need to start twice in linux to the drive getting 100 operative, I suppose it's because Windows leaves it in a unstable state). I tried new SATA cords, too, an changing ports. In minimal boot, the system starts always, but device manager never starts by any method, neither. I tried this command, too:

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

I tried removing upper and lower filters in registry (there weren't any).

When the system is started and I connect the DVD drive, I can use it, but, at any time, it blocks de computer anyway. I've made test of writting and reading from the drive, so its state seems to be right.

Thanks in advance for the help!

:)

FranciscoRodríguez Melgar, Jan 1, 2019

2. SATA DVD-RW Drives

Hey Guys,

So, I finally just bought my new rig: EVGA A1 Mobo (w/ 6 SATA Slots), 2 WD Raptors (SATA - Gonna RAID 0 Boot), 4 Seagate 320GB Barracuda's (SATA - Gonna RAID 5 Storage).
    However, I realized I also bought 2 DVD-RW drives, in SATA *Eek! After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly. :eek: not enough SATA ports on the mobo...

So a couple of questions follow:
    1) Is SATA really faster for DVD-RW drives than IDE?
    2) Is there anyway to Inline/Series the (2) SATA DVD-RW drives, kinda like you do with IDE (Master/Slave)?
    3) Are there any SATA-->IDE reverse adaptors (not the opposite, I know those exist)?
    4) Based on the above answers, should I:
    • a) Get a PCI-E SATA RAID Card to Handle One of the RAID Arrays, and keep the DVD-RW drives as SATA? (although those are dang expensive, AND I don't know where that PCI Card is gonna fit - got an 8800gtx, PCI Slot-Cooler, Wifi card... an extra slot but no room down there)
    • b) Return the DVD-RW SATA drives and get (2) IDE DVD-RW drives?
    • Another option that won't require me spending a lot of money?
    Eesh, I'm kinda stuck on my build if I don't have a CD Drive to read from for Windows Install(I don't have any extra ones sittin around - and I want to install my RAID 5 Storage array right away)

Suggestions?*Confused After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly. :confused:

surfsk8snow.jah, Jan 1, 2019
  3. When i insert a cd or dvd i dvd drive it say directory name is invalid

Hi Manishra,

This error Directory name is invalid that you received every time you put a CD or DVD on your DVD drive usually appears when a clean install has been performed, or could be that you've made some changes on your computer that may have triggered the
    problem.

To address this problem, we suggest that you try the following methods:

• Disable/Enable DVD drive's driver
    1. Right-click the Windows key and select
    Device Manager

2. Expand the DVD/CD ROM.

3. Right-click the DVD drive and click Properties.

4. Click the Driver tab, then click Disable.

5. Once the driver is disabled, click on Enable to enable it back.

• Move the DVD drive to a different SATA port
    If the DVD drive is connected to SATA port 1, try moving it to any available SATA port on your computer. If you're not familiar with it, please ask assistance to someone who knows how to do it.

• Uninstall/reinstall the DVD drive
    1. Right-click the Windows key and select
    Device Manager

2. Expand the DVD/CD ROM.

3. Right-click the DVD drive and click Uninstall.

4. Restart your computer to reinstall the DVD drive.

Let us know the result so we can assist you further.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 1, 2019
  4. abrogard Win User

After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly.

Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing

I used up all the allowed space in the title there - couldn't put a question mark on the end.

After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly. :)

Wonder why I can't see the WD hard drive I just hooked up to a SATA port on my H170 board?

There are currently two seagate drive SATA connected and the DVD drive. And an external Seagate on USB.

I put the WD in and I can see it in device manager but nowhere else.

I have a couple of screenshots:

After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly. [​IMG]

After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly. [​IMG]

Can anyone help?

abrogard, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly.

1. After 1809 update, every dvd drive I connect to my device by SATA port makes it behave weirdly. - Similar Threads - 1809 update every

2. HDD Behaving weirdly after windows update and GPU install.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD Behaving weirdly after windows update and GPU install.: Hello,I recently got a new GPU and updated windows. I don't know if those two changes have anything to do with my problem, but i started encountering intermittent drive errors and freezes.Examples:1. When playing Elden Ring, the game starts stuttering and the music...
  3. HDD Behaving weirdly after windows update and GPU install.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Behaving weirdly after windows update and GPU install.: Hello,I recently got a new GPU and updated windows. I don't know if those two changes have anything to do with my problem, but i started encountering intermittent drive errors and freezes.Examples:1. When playing Elden Ring, the game starts stuttering and the music...
  4. HDD Behaving weirdly after windows update and GPU install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows is behaving weird

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows is behaving weird: So I have encountered a strange problem in my windows 10 pc. When I turn on my pc, I am unable to type numbers either through the numeric keypad or the numbers at the top. When I press the number keys on topwithout pressing shift key it types symbols and not numbers....
  6. SATA m.2 SSD behaving very weirdly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SATA m.2 SSD behaving very weirdly.: So, i have msi gl63 8rc. It had a 1 TB HDD as a default with an empty m.2 slot. Couple days back i bought Crucial MX500 m.2 SATA SSD(500gb) to install it in my laptop. Up until this point the ssd was detected in BIOS and i was able to change the boot sequence. So i tried...
  7. USB ports, and dvd drive

USB ports, and dvd drive: I have a hp 15 laptop. as soon as the warranty expired the dvd player/burner quite working. it says insert disk and when I put an disk it, it does not spin to read it , it just says no disk. The next problem it has is I have a 8 in one card reader that I`ve used many times...
  8. Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update

Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update: I have lost a secondary SATA HDD and SATA DVD drive after a Fast Ring Windows 10 Build update. Both the missing drives are on the same SATA channel. They DO show up in BIOS, but they do NOT show in either Windows Explorer or Windows Disk Management. Was it the Windows 10...
  9. DVD drive behaving oddly

DVD drive behaving oddly: Well, my DVD drive has been behaving oddly of late. I use it mostly for audio playback with my aging but still great CDs and occasionally for trying to make a bootable DVD ISO. (So far, no luck.) But after the system goes to sleep and reawakens the drive is invisible and...
  10. SATA ports not working after windows 10 update

SATA ports not working after windows 10 update: Hello folks, I cloned my C drive and updated to windows 10 a week ago. Yesterday SATA ports 2 and 3 stopped working (on MOBO gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP). I think it is a windows 10 problem because I have: swapped my drives between SATA ports. All drives do not work in...