Windows 10: After 1909 update I lose Windows Explorer, search desktop

Discus and support After 1909 update I lose Windows Explorer, search desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Well this automatic update stuff sure is working out! Between driver updates and Windows updates my PC performance has me pulling my hair out. A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rocks911, Nov 19, 2019.

1. rocks911 Win User

After 1909 update I lose Windows Explorer, search desktop

Well this automatic update stuff sure is working out!

Between driver updates and Windows updates my PC performance has me pulling my hair out. A couple days ago my PC started acting erratically ( I wasnt aware of the status of automatic updates and so didnt know what had changed to cause the issues. I would lose Explorer/search/desktop intermittently.

After much research I think the culprit is the new November 2019 update. Something about having Cortana entirely disabled is causing issues. Is this correct?

Im not suffering any BSOD's or shut downs or error messages, I just lose search capabilities and occasionally my desktop goes away and I have to re-boot from a shutdown. Ive had to do this a few times in the last couple days.

Anybody else experience this?

My PC:
    Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz

Memory : 32692MB(3000)

Mother Board : ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING

Windows Version : Microsoft Windows 10 Pro v 1909 OS Build 18363.476

Installation Date : 2019-07-30

Monitor : Generic PnP Monitor

Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Mouse : USB Input Device

Keyboard : USB Input Device

Disk Drive : WDC WD6003FZBX-00K5WB0(5589GB,IDE)

:)

rocks911, Nov 19, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Nov 19, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    1909 in the offing?

Hmm. So they simplify the search bar (ex-Cortana) but make search in Explorer more complicated, including web search too? Really? Hope I've misunderstood that.

I've always wondered why they couldn't prioritise results from indexed search, then search anything non-indexed, so as to give the most immediate results quickly. This seems a sort of step in that direction, but might it not be likely to confuse people who then think everything's been searched (or at least everything below the current point in the file system)?

dalchina, Nov 19, 2019
  4. After 1909 update I lose Windows Explorer, search desktop

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

After 1909 update I lose Windows Explorer, search desktop

1. After 1909 update I lose Windows Explorer, search desktop - Similar Threads - 1909 update lose

2. File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909: Hello, New to this, hopefully I did this correctly Question asked, but " This thread is locked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-not-working-in-windows-10/3c70ea75-79a8-4f3b-b10a-86be1f22931c As some/many have posted,...
  3. When I open File Explorer (or search in windows search), I lose internet connection for 5...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When I open File Explorer (or search in windows search), I lose internet connection for 5...: [ATTACH] Hello, I have internet problem on my computer. Computer configuration: Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2070 super, 16gb 3200mhz, MSI B450 gaming plus max, 1TB SSD).I have a USB network card TP-Link Archer T3U, the latest drivers from the official TP-Link website. The problem...
  4. windows update to 1909 loses healthy disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows update to 1909 loses healthy disk: Greetings I waited for a very long time to (years!) update from 1809 to 1909. I even asked in this form why the offer to update to 1909 doesn't come normally, and the explanation was that some programs on my pc were incompatible with 1909. Yesterday it finally came only to...
  5. Advance search missing in File Explorer after update to windows version 1909

Advance search missing in File Explorer after update to windows version 1909: Where is the advanced search in the 1909 version of File Explorer. I search using date modified today, yesterday, past 7 days....... It doesn't seem to be in 1909 version I updated on Feb 5th 2020 - A comment of the new File Explorer Yucky having to click the arrow key to...
  6. Error on file search on File explorer after 1909

Error on file search on File explorer after 1909: Hello. After update 1909, the search on file explorer does not work properly. I really wish back to old type search or find anyone help me. When the search does not properly, the symptoms are as below; Firstly, I could not click the search box even left or right...
  7. File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909

File Explorer search not working in Windows 10 1909: Ever since I updated to Windows 10 1909 the Search Box in the File Explorer is completely unuseable. It shows a text cursor but I cannot click inside the box or type any text into it. Essentially it's a text box with no "wiring". Any ideas how to resolve this issue? I'm...
  8. 1909 Update file explorer search issue.

in Cortana
    1909 Update file explorer search issue.: New 1909 update broke the file explorer search. Now after file explorer window has been open 10+ minutes the search option is grayed out. Text does not show in the bar and the only way to be able to type again is to task kill file explorer from taskmgr. I have tried to run...
  9. Can I get the previous File Explorer search back after updateing to 1909.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I get the previous File Explorer search back after updateing to 1909.: After updating to 1909, I notices the search bar in the File Explorer no longer automatically starts searching as I type. Instead, it has a pop-down menu trying to guess what I am looking for. If I press enter, it will do a standard search. Is there a way to get the old...
  10. Windows 10 1909 File Explorer Search issue

in Cortana
    Windows 10 1909 File Explorer Search issue: What happened to explorer search? Unable to paste the copied file name to search for as it was in previous versions. I have to manually type the file name and press Enter. This is terrible! Why does Microsoft only make things worse with each new version ?!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana missing after 1909 update

2. after 1909 update search box not working