Windows 10: After 4 Years Microsoft has not fixed the x: "boot Drive Of Death"

Discus and support After 4 Years Microsoft has not fixed the x: "boot Drive Of Death" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Story :Hi I am new here in the ms community and just 2 months ago i had my Insprion 15 With Windows 10 installed had a boot problem I Had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TechGeni, Jul 5, 2019.

1. TechGeni Win User

After 4 Years Microsoft has not fixed the x: "boot Drive Of Death"

After 4 Years Microsoft has not fixed the x: "boot Drive Of Death" 845c771b-1d8b-4fc2-99bc-79b786bd7a49?upload=true.jpg Story :Hi I am new here in the ms community and just 2 months ago i had my Insprion 15 With Windows 10 installed had a boot problem I Had Windows installed since its free copy's back in 2015 so i had logged on one day to find it to load to a void of death "Blank screen so i got into the recovery menu.

Tried :

So I tried doing the "bootrec /fixboot" ... Then ... "Access Denied" i tried unlocking it by disk and volume but *Command Promted* bootrec /fixboot... Then ... "Access Denied" i tried to identifie If my Windows. old File was there by going into notepad > Open And all files and half my windows. new file was deleted and my win. old file was not there and i ran the dells hardware check tool and the drive was Checked Green... Should i be scared?!?!?!

Going to do (Short) :

List

Media tool After 4 Years Microsoft has not fixed the x: "boot Drive Of Death" 71c87b83-a270-42ca-996d-5a91f53ece8b?upload=true.jpg

Install 8.1 if needed

If the following does not work than i will buy a new drive

Note i just did all of these and i did get the cursor working but the os was dead

:)

TechGeni, Jul 5, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Jul 5, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Jul 5, 2019
  4. zbook Win User

Reinstalling Windows (what drive)

It may be possible to troubleshoot and fix the boot problems and operating system/registry problems.
    Sometimes access denied can be fixed.
    Sometimes missing dll files can be fixed.

If you clean install, it can be performed in the shortest time however the files will be cleaned.
    If you boot rescue the files can be backed up to another drive.

If you troubleshoot these are the initial steps.
    The next steps will be based on the results displayed from these commands.

Perform the following steps:

1) Find a flash drive that you can format: ( > or = 8 GB)
    2) Create a bootable Windows 10 iso (now Windows 10 build 1803)
    Download Windows 10
    3) Insert the bootable Windows 10 iso flash drive into any USB port
    4) Power on the computer and click the applicable keyboard key or modify the BIOS boot order so that the USB external HD is on top
    List of PC brands with their corresponding hot-keys
    5) It may take 5 - 10 minutes for the iso to load while viewing the Microsoft Windows icon
    6) Select the language, time, currency, and keyboard, or click next
    7) Click troubleshoot
    8) Click command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\System32.cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    PLEASE USE A CAMERA OR SMART PHONE CAMERA TO TAKE PICTURES AND POST IMAGES OF ALL OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
    Type all of these commands.
    Comments are in parenthesis.

9) bcdedit /enum
    10) bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    11) C:
    12) dir
    13) D:
    14) dir
    14) E:
    15) dir
    16) diskpart
    17) list disk
    18) list volume
    19) select disk 0
    20) detail disk
    21) list partition
    22) select partition 1
    23) detail partition
    24) select partition 2
    25) detail partition
    26) select partition 3
    27) detail partition
    28) select partition 4
    29) detail partition
    30) select disk 1
    31) detail disk
    32) list partition
    33) select disk 2
    34) detail disk
    35) list partition
    36) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=B:\ /offwindir=B:\windows
    (change the letters B to the drive letter displayed in steps #10)
    37) chkdsk /r B:
    (change the letter B to the partition drive letter seen in step #10)
    (This may take many hours and typically displays ETA.)
    38) (reboot as needed)
    39) (reopen command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    40) bootrec /fixmbr
    41) bootrec /fixboot
    42) bootrec /scanos
    43) bootrec /rebuildbcd
    44) (reboot)

zbook, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

1. After 4 Years Microsoft has not fixed the x: "boot Drive Of Death" - Similar Threads - Years Microsoft has

2. Microsoft needs to fix this, it has been over a year now.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft needs to fix this, it has been over a year now.: When I open the file explorer and drag any file, there is a high probability that a blank icon will appear in the preview image of this file. The icon is missing or there is an icon but the background of the icon is white instead of the transparent state under the win10...
  3. Microsoft needs to fix this, it has been over a year now.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft needs to fix this, it has been over a year now.: When I open the file explorer and drag any file, there is a high probability that a blank icon will appear in the preview image of this file. The icon is missing or there is an icon but the background of the icon is white instead of the transparent state under the win10...
  4. the fix for boot x: virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the fix for boot x: virus: seen a lot of topics here of people who also had the problem and any one said your crazy etc, well your not i figured it out and would like to share with you guysx: boot isnt a virus reallyyou have been hacked and they changed the win recovery files to be corrupt, also...
  5. the fix for boot x: virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the fix for boot x: virus: seen a lot of topics here of people who also had the problem and any one said your crazy etc, well your not i figured it out and would like to share with you guysx: boot isnt a virus reallyyou have been hacked and they changed the win recovery files to be corrupt, also...
  6. the fix for boot x: virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Windows 10 doesn't respond after 4 years

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 doesn't respond after 4 years: Basically, I have a laptop that I have not been able to turn on after 4 full years, and today is the first day it turned on. I had to press on the power button super hard and somehow it turned off. But when I went to log on, NOTHING IS RESPONDING AT ALL. NOTHING ON MY...
  8. windows got activation problem after 4 years

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows got activation problem after 4 years: Hello there, I have my laptop about 4 years ago with activated version of windows from my supplier and never had the annoying watermark message that says "activate windows" now this message has showed up and when I go to setting>>update and security>>activation. that's...
  9. After 4 Years Microsoft has not fixed the x: "boot Drive Of Death"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After 4 Years Microsoft has not fixed the x: "boot Drive Of Death": Story :Hi I am new here in the ms community and just 2 months ago i had my Insprion 15 With Windows 10 installed had a boot problem I Had Windows installed since its free copy's back in 2015 so i had logged on one day to find it to load to a void of death "Blank screen so i...
  10. After restart goes to x drive will not boot c drive renamed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After restart goes to x drive will not boot c drive renamed: Did a restart and window 10 went into repair mode and said it could not fix it. went into command prompt and found my self on x drive. look around and found my c drive renamed to j drive, did a dir command and found all my windows files there. one of my others drives now has...