Windows 10: After a crash I have to keep selecting windows boot manager from bios and force boot to...

Discus and support After a crash I have to keep selecting windows boot manager from bios and force boot to... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I have been facing this issue for last 2 months now. I have a new PC. after fresh installation of windows it would stop working all of a sudden... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AVISHEK804, Jun 18, 2020.

1. After a crash I have to keep selecting windows boot manager from bios and force boot to...

So I have been facing this issue for last 2 months now. I have a new PC. after fresh installation of windows it would stop working all of a sudden after a BSOD. and then it would show that there is no boot device my boot device is SSD. if I perform a startup repair I can then force boot into desktop from bios by choosing windows boot manager. I have done startup repaid I have done fresh install if windows 4 times so far no solution. 4th installation is also giving me the same issue

:)

AVISHEK804, Jun 18, 2020

2. UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Windows 10 will only boot if selected from the BIOS boot menu.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

• You mean to say, every time you need to make changes to Boot Order in BIOS, to start your computer correctly?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I suspect that the problem might be due to outdated BIOS update
    or with Boot Configuration data. Suggest you to check for the latest BIOS update and Chipset drivers for your device hardware on Manufacturer website. If you find a new one, try to update the same to see if it correct
    the issue. If problem still persist, then I suggest to rebuild Boot Configuration Data to see if it makes any difference.

Let us try to repair your computer by creating a Windows 10 Bootable media (I.e. USB or DVD) using
    Media Creation Tool.
    Use your computer or some other connected to Internet for creating a Bootable media (Windows 10 ISO image file). Once you're ready with Bootable Media, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Insert the Windows installation disc in the disc drive or connect USB media, and then start the computer.
    • Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.

If your PC does not detect the media automatically
      • During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.
      • Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled Boot Order,
        Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the
        Boot Order, then press Enter.
      • Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order
        sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
      • Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart. Allow the PC to restart normally. The scan will take a few minutes and remove any malware that may be infecting your computer.
    • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click
      Next
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. Select
      Advanced Options > Command Prompt
      under Advanced Options.
    • Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press
      ENTER.
      This command will rebuild boot configuration data if in case any issue with Boot files causing this issue.

Once you done with the above steps, see if the problem still persist.

Let us know how it went.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jun 18, 2020
  4. After a crash I have to keep selecting windows boot manager from bios and force boot to...

Windows stuck in automatic repair; Can't access BIOS/ boot menu

I've changed the boot order through both BIOS and the boot manager, as my original post stated. Neither did anything, but both were functional in the past. Neither listed the windows boot manager, either. Previously, it would boot just as expected whenever
    other media was set as the first option, so I'm pretty sure there are no issues there.

As my original post suggested, I've already tried out the steps you gave. I've gone through all the options listed in the boot menu, UEFI or not.

My BIOS and boot menu settings were at their defaults when all of this started, so that's been tried already, if those are what you're referring to.

KierraMcCullough, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

After a crash I have to keep selecting windows boot manager from bios and force boot to...

1. After a crash I have to keep selecting windows boot manager from bios and force boot to... - Similar Threads - crash keep selecting

2. there is no boot manager in BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    there is no boot manager in BIOS: My laptop has dual boot system- windows 10 and ubuntu. After a update in ubuntu, pc is not booting, showing an error to install an operating system. In the BIOS, I found no boot manager boot device to select.I tried startup repair from a bootable USB drive, but it can not...
  3. Windows keeps crashing! After boot!!

Windows keeps crashing! After boot!!: My system was running fine till decided update windows to a new version and then it kept crashing. I did clean reinstall windows 10 and everytime the system boots for 1-2 min it crashes with system fans and and eveything running, just no post on screen.I gave my system a...
  4. Windows boot manager not showing in the bios boot menu.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows boot manager not showing in the bios boot menu.: My PC had preintsalled Windows 10UEFI.Last month,I installed some linux operating systems in my pcLegacy.So,I know that windows won't show on the grub boot menu.To start windows,I should go to the boot menu and select the "windows boot manager".Yesterday,I installed another...
  5. selecting 1st boot in bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    selecting 1st boot in bios: Hi guys, I have just successfully cloned my laptop hhd to ssd with Macrium , which advises that to boot from the ssd requires making the nessessary selection in the bios. I have opened the bios which is recognising the ssd and in the boot column I have the new drive as no 1,...
  6. Boot to BIOS after crash

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot to BIOS after crash: My laptop crashed when coming out of sleep and keeps booting to the BIOS. I think the boot partition got fucked somehow because I don't see it as a BIOS option... Any ideas? I'm going to boot to an Ubuntu build on USB in a few hours. submitted by /u/clam_shelle [link]...
  7. Window Boot manager missing from BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Window Boot manager missing from BIOS: [ATTACH] Hello everyone, Not sure if I am posting on the correct place, if not do let me know and I will take it down. My laptop suddenly not able to boot into Window. Everytime when I start up, it will bring me straight to BIOS. I have checked in BIOS that my Window...
  8. Window Boot manager missing from BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Window Boot manager missing from BIOS: Hello everyone, Please help me with this, appreciate your help! My laptop suddenly not able to boot into Window. Everytime when I start up, it will bring me straight to BIOS. I have checked in BIOS that my Window boot option is actually missing and I tried to set the path...
  9. I changed from Legacy BIOS to UEFI to boot from a USB and I have the "Reboot and Select...

I changed from Legacy BIOS to UEFI to boot from a USB and I have the "Reboot and Select...: Hi, Long story short, my computer won't boot anymore, I've got the infamous "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message after I changed from Legacy Bios to UEFI. The long story is that I bought a new SSD drive, I wanted to run my OS from the new drive (as opposed to...
  10. Must boot into BIOS to select Windows Boot Manager manually

in Windows 10 Support
    Must boot into BIOS to select Windows Boot Manager manually: A few weeks ago, my PC started acting odd. It would boot, show the post screen, then give me an error about an operating system not being found and advising me to unplug any drives that don't have an OS on them. Well, I tried that, and it still does it. So I found that I have...