Windows 10: After A Firefox update, Firefox willl only open in Windows Safe Mode

Discus and support After A Firefox update, Firefox willl only open in Windows Safe Mode in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Windows version 1909, build 18363.720 Since upgrading from W7 to W10 in January 2020, every time FF has an upgrade it refuses to open in Windows... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by heckydog, Apr 8, 2020.

1. heckydog Win User

After A Firefox update, Firefox willl only open in Windows Safe Mode

Windows version 1909, build 18363.720

Since upgrading from W7 to W10 in January 2020, every time FF has an upgrade it refuses to open in Windows normal mode. The first attempt I believe was FF72 to FF73, then to 74, and now 74.01. Clicking on the FF icon causes the activity circle to spin for a fraction of a second and then nothing happens. Nothing in Task Manager. Can't open the profile manager, or FF safe mode.

I ended at least one time just uninstalling and reinstalling FF. That is a pain to deal with, creating a new profile and all that goes with it.

This time, just for the heck of it, I put Windows in Safe Mode, and FF opens just fine. It's got the right profile, everything works. All I did was a simple upgrade from 74 to 74.01. This was the first time I thought to try Windows safe mode.

I have Malwarebytes 4.1, SuperAntiSpyware (realtime protection turned off), Acronis 2020 (ransomware protection turned off). And of course Windows Bitdefender and firewall. I have added exclusions to MWB and the firewall, at least I hope I did it the right way.

I have no other ideas on what could be blocking FF.

Any out of the box ideas are welcome at this point.

Joe

:)

heckydog, Apr 8, 2020
  2. Baum Win User

Is this safe for Firefox?

google for Firetuner and your firefox willl be way faster in startup and loading

or download the fasterfox extension

Baum, Apr 8, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    Mozilla Firefox 3 Updated to 3.0.1

Mozilla has released an update for their Firefox 3 web-browser. The update brings. Changes as condensed in the Release notes include:
    A list of security issues fixed is issued here.

Current Firefox 3 users will be automatically updated.

Source: Mozilla

btarunr, Apr 8, 2020
  4. After A Firefox update, Firefox willl only open in Windows Safe Mode

FireFox

Hi:

In addition to the great advice already offered....

...Most problems with Firefox originate in the user's profile, not in the program itself.

A specific suggestion for the issue you report:

Firefox - Profile in Use

Then, there is a logical sequence for Firefox diagnostics, which (as already suggested) generally starts with Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode):

Firefox - Standard Diagnostic

or
    Fix slowness, crashing, error messages and other problems

Resetting Firefox (as already suggested) is certainly a reasonable option, but there are other, less "destructive" steps one might consider first.
    There are also more drastic steps, such as creating a new profile. This is sometimes the best way to get back up and running, if the existing profile is highly corrupted.

Please let us know if you need more help.

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

After A Firefox update, Firefox willl only open in Windows Safe Mode

1. After A Firefox update, Firefox willl only open in Windows Safe Mode - Similar Threads - Firefox update Firefox

2. Firefox will not connect to internet after windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firefox will not connect to internet after windows update: I tried to update Windows 10 and the update did not complete. Now I cannot get my Firefox browser to connect to the internet. How do I fix it?...
  3. Firefox will not connect to internet after windows update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firefox will not connect to internet after windows update: I tried to update Windows 10 and the update did not complete. Now I cannot get my Firefox browser to connect to the internet. How do I fix it?...
  4. problems opening firefox after updating to version 20h2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problems opening firefox after updating to version 20h2: I updated my laptop to Windows 10 version 20h2 2 days ago. Initially I was thrilled with how it was performing. This morning I had difficulty starting up the pc and had many problems opening Firefox and Thunderbird. With task manager open I tried to open Thunderbird. Got...
  5. Chrome and Firefox not opening after Windows update.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chrome and Firefox not opening after Windows update.: After the recent Windows update, whenever I open Chrome or Firefox, they just immediately close without any error message. I've looked into many different solutions to the problem, but none of them seem to help. I've checked for malware and checked my firewall and...
  6. After A Firefox update, Firefox willl only open in Windows Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After A Firefox update, Firefox willl only open in Windows Safe Mode: Windows version 1909, build 18363.720 Since upgrading from W7 to W10 in January 2020, every time FF has an upgrade it refuses to open in Windows normal mode. The first attempt I believe was FF72 to FF73, then to 74, and now 74.01. Clicking on the FF icon causes the activity...
  7. Firefox Will Not Open

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Firefox Will Not Open: I am the administrator, yet this happens. I also tried restarting and reinstalling, but those did not work. Please help! [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox-will-not-open/2509c43c-d674-4629-a4a2-f5c304d7d551"
  8. Firefox downloading, but not opening

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox downloading, but not opening: *Banghead Hi all. I have posted previously on my problems in respect of Firefox downloading, but not opening. i have just completed my 15th download of Firefox with the same problem still recurring. It downloads, however, it refuses to open. I have always removed everything...
  9. Firefox And Opening Screen ?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox And Opening Screen ?: Hello, Have made Firefox my default Browser. New user to W10. Would like Firefox to open up (full screen) as soon as I log in to W10, and not just have that very pretty flower background show. How do I do this please ? Thanks, Bob 30552
  10. Firefox update

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox update: Firefox browser just updated [img] 48493

Users found this page by searching for:

1. firefox citrix receiver stuck in light mode