Windows 10: After a recent update cortana pops up when a unspecified sound or word is spoken

Discus and support After a recent update cortana pops up when a unspecified sound or word is spoken in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi --I have win 10 build 1904 after an update I was could not communicate with Cortana---I was told that another update was coming for Cortana--when... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by STEVEN J._846, Jul 26, 2020.

1. After a recent update cortana pops up when a unspecified sound or word is spoken

Hi --I have win 10 build 1904 after an update I was could not communicate with Cortana---I was told that another update was coming for Cortana--when I got it --it seems that Cortana is corrupted and is responding to voice/word/? and then "winking out"

:)

STEVEN J._846, Jul 26, 2020
  2. GIL
    gil Win User

Windows sound not playing after recent Win10 Update

Hi all,

Symptom:
    Since last windows update, windows doesn't play the windows sounds: Startup, UAC sound, exclamation, warning, notifications, etc.

Note: Other sounds, like games, videos, calls are working well.

I use SoundBlaster Z series sound card. Their recent driver update release notes lists that the driver is fixing this issue.

Actions taken:
    Removed the driver completely
    rebooted
    Reinstalled the driver

Results:
    After initial boot and subsequent restarts, the windows sounds play well.
    After a computer shutdown and startup - the above symptom is introduced again, i.e., windows sounds don't play anymore.

I've repeated the steps above and ended up with the same problem.

Can anyone please assist?

Win10 Pro
    Version 1909
    OS Build 18363.657

Thanks.

3. Julie Ram Win User
    Cortana pops up

Hi Gerald,

To assist you with your concern, you may follow the steps provided below on how to fix Cortana that keeps popping up:

• Click Start Menu > Settings.
    • Look for Devices > Mouse & touchpad.
    • Click Additional mouse options. (This will open a new window that depends on your device.)
    • Look for options that read "Three Finger Tap" or "Four Finger Tap".

Note: You need to make sure that these options are disabled as this is also a factor that triggers Cortana automatically.

You can also find the same options when you go to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Synaptics Touchpad.
    Just turn off the tap feature.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Julie Ram, Jul 26, 2020
  4. After a recent update cortana pops up when a unspecified sound or word is spoken

How do I stop Cortana popping up?

Could we please stop the insults and concentrate on understanding the symptoms objectively?

Now it sounds like you are in your "word processor" when Cortana "pops up", not on the Taskbar. So, is there an option in your "word processor" which allows that? For example, in Edge there is such an option. I think it must be true that its option is
    respected because, again, I have never seen Cortana "pop up" in Edge and I assume it is because I have never tested the option of seeing Cortana's services in there.

Pardon me for being slightly incredulous (and perhaps inappropriately facetious) that "Cortana" would "close your word processor". Is it possible that the "pop up" is causing the "word processor" to crash? Have you looked at your Reliability Monitor or
    Events log (for example) for signs of that explanation instead?

HTH

Robert

---

MaryAldwinckle, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

After a recent update cortana pops up when a unspecified sound or word is spoken

1. After a recent update cortana pops up when a unspecified sound or word is spoken - Similar Threads - recent update cortana

2. Cortana Pop-Ups

in Cortana
    Cortana Pop-Ups: I downloaded Windows10 after the 8.1 end of service. Since my old laptop does not have a microphone, and I don't feel I need one, Cortana is meaningless. I have read here that eliminating Cortana is complicated. I would be happy to just get rid of the "sign in to Cortana" box...
  3. Cortana Pop-Ups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana Pop-Ups: I downloaded Windows10 after the 8.1 end of service. Since my old laptop does not have a microphone, and I don't feel I need one, Cortana is meaningless. I have read here that eliminating Cortana is complicated. I would be happy to just get rid of the "sign in to Cortana" box...
  4. Cortana Pop-Ups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cortana pops up when using Touchpad

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana pops up when using Touchpad: Sometimes when working with touchpad Cortana pops up. I'm not sure which gesture triggers it. How can I disable Cortana starting up b touchpad? I'm on an ASUS so touchpad driver is ASUS Smart Gesture. submitted by /u/DaLazyGamer [link] [comments]...
  6. Cortana constantly popping up

in Cortana
    Cortana constantly popping up: hello my laptop is running windows 10 and out of no where a box keeps popping up for Cortana. i am sick of it constantly popping up. i signed in thinking this would stop it but has not. i am at my wits ends to sort it. doesnt anyone know how to stop when your not clicking...
  7. Words popping-up..

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Words popping-up..: Hi, please tell how to stop words from popping up as shown in image. It is causing a bit of a problem. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/words-popping-up/9cf89c36-e3ee-4000-bfa7-59d70532ef27
  8. Cortana pop ups/selfy

in Cortana
    Cortana pop ups/selfy: Cortana pops up about 11pm, just out of the blue, One night Cortana pops up and says "How about a selfy" laying there naked it was all I could to block the screen... That is creepy, I would like Cortana to stop everything unless I ask for it? Was this a programmer joke.? WTH...
  9. sound pop-up after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    sound pop-up after update: I have recently updated to the last version of the system. But after restarting my laptop, a new video control panel will appear when pressing the volume keys, which did appear before. covering a large portion of the screen when watching a video. How can I get rid of it?...
  10. cortana pop ups

in Cortana
    cortana pop ups: HELP! I am ready to throw my computer away because of the cortana pop ups. Is there any way to at least shrink it or remove it completely unless I ask for help? I tried my settings and control panel and access and advanced and find no way to do this. please Microsoft, do...