Windows 10: After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

Discus and support After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Using Windows 11.. I recently did a Windows update on my 4 month old Dell desktop and now ALL my files are located on my desktop. THEY ARE NOT SHORT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bonnie Lipner, Apr 24, 2024.

1. After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

Using Windows 11.. I recently did a Windows update on my 4 month old Dell desktop and now ALL my files are located on my desktop. THEY ARE NOT SHORT CUTS.I called Dell.. BIG MISTAKE.. and they deleted them and had me reload from my backup. It happened again. Then I called back and the tech said my Desktop and Documents Folders wee reversed and he renamed them.. Problem is still there. I can't rename the folders back because when I tried the messaged wanted to merge everything into Desktop.. THIS IS A MESS.. ANY SUGGESTIONS.. I do have a backup but when I loaded the documents file from that

:)

Bonnie Lipner, Apr 24, 2024

2. After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

Using
    Windows 11.. I recently did a Windows update on my 4 month old Dell desktop and now ALL my files are located on my desktop. THEY ARE NOT SHORT CUTS.

I called Dell.. BIG MISTAKE.. and they deleted them and had me reload from my backup. It happened again. Then I called back and the tech said my Desktop and Documents Folders wee reversed and he renamed them.. Problem is still there. I can't rename the folders back because when I tried the messaged wanted to merge everything into Desktop..

THIS IS A MESS.. ANY SUGGESTIONS.. I do have a backup but when I loaded the documents file from that it did the same thing.. sent all to Desktop... IS there a box somewhere that got accidently checked???

Bonnie Lipner, Apr 24, 2024
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Apr 24, 2024
  4. After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

"Open file location" or “Save image as” opens to Desktop folder instead of target folder.

Basically, trying to ‘save to a target folder’ or ‘open from a target folder’ goes to the Desktop folder instead of the target folder.

Examples:

• Enter a file name in desktop search bar. List of possible files, desired file is in a target folder within another folder. Right click on desired file, then ‘Open file location’. Result is Desktop folder instead of target folder.
    • Right click on a folder from the Taskbar File Explorer jump list, it (as normal) gives me a list of Frequent folders I have used. Then, when I right click on one of the frequent folder names, I get the list. The first entry is ‘Open’; the second entry is ‘Open file location’. Left clicking on either of those entries opens the Desktop folder instead of the target folder.
    • When I am downloading an image from a browser (Save image as), I have selected the target location folder, but it defaults to the Desktop folder. This happens in both Chrome and Edge, each of which has a target folder (not Desktop) download location selected in their Settings section.

It seems like the target folder is momentarily opened (perhaps ½ second), then immediately closes and then the Desktop folder shows.

Additional test: When in File Explorer, say, Recent section, right clicking on the item, then Open file location does correctly take me to the Target folder (not to the Desktop folder). And after searching for an item within File Explorer, right clicking on the item, then Open file location works properly (takes me to the Target file location).

So, within File Explorer, Open file location works ok, but outside of File Explorer, Open file location defaults to the Desktop folder instead of target location.

Would appreciate any hints as to why this is happening on Windows 11; did not happen with Windows 10.

retexan599, Apr 24, 2024
Thema:

After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

1. After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop. - Similar Threads - update files folders

2. After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.: Using Windows 11.. I recently did a Windows update on my 4 month old Dell desktop and now ALL my files are located on my desktop. THEY ARE NOT SHORT CUTS.I called Dell.. BIG MISTAKE.. and they deleted them and had me reload from my backup. It happened again. Then I called...
  3. Why all my files on desktop in my pc are gone after I deleted files in Onedrive folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why all my files on desktop in my pc are gone after I deleted files in Onedrive folder?: Why all my files on desktop in my pc are gone after I deleted files in Onedrive folder? I've been using windows and hotmail for more then 2 decades, for the first time I saw a message in my hotmail says from 01 Feb 2023 I need more storage to send and receive emails. Sure...
  4. Why all my files on desktop in my pc are gone after I deleted files in Onedrive folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why all my files on desktop in my pc are gone after I deleted files in Onedrive folder?: Why all my files on desktop in my pc are gone after I deleted files in Onedrive folder? I've been using windows and hotmail for more then 2 decades, for the first time I saw a message in my hotmail says from 01 Feb 2023 I need more storage to send and receive emails. Sure...
  5. Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?: When I right click on my files on the desktop, and look at the properties, the location isn't C:\Users\username\Desktop but C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop.In the left pane inside Windows Explorer, clicking on This PC and then the Desktop link right below it, gives the...
  6. Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?: When I right click on my files on the desktop, and look at the properties, the location isn't C:\Users\username\Desktop but C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop.In the left pane inside Windows Explorer, clicking on This PC and then the Desktop link right below it, gives the...
  7. all my folders on my desktop are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    all my folders on my desktop are gone: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/lucioco000 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ke82na/all_my_folders_on_my_desktop_are_gone/
  8. Updated my windows and all my files on desktop are gone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updated my windows and all my files on desktop are gone.: Hi everyone. Please help- I updated my Windows 10 and after multiple restarts the files that were on my desktop are gone. I’ve followed the normal: Look under users for the missing folders & System rollback but they are still gone. The frustrating part is if I go to file...
  9. My desktop theme folder location is changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My desktop theme folder location is changed: Why is my theme folder is in roaming folder not in local folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-desktop-theme-folder-location-is-changed/fc2b86ac-d703-42a7-b532-1dec215c800b
  10. All my desktop file and folder disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my desktop file and folder disappeared: All my desktop file and folder disappeared. Application are there. File name extension and hidden folder view is checked. This was all a sudden after reboot, no update or new application were installed. Rebooted to repair VPN connection....