Windows 10: After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games..

Discus and support After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games.. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After updating to the Anniversary Update I no longer have access to my photos, game files, etc. They are located on the same drive (C:\) as WIN 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by boidsonly, Aug 18, 2016.

1. boidsonly Win User

After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games..

After updating to the Anniversary Update I no longer have access to my photos, game files, etc. They are located on the same drive (C:\) as WIN 10. Here is the mssg in the window that pops up:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Any ideas as to what happened? This is really aggravating....

Thanks,
    Jeff

:)

boidsonly, Aug 18, 2016

2. After Ann. Update I no longer have access to photos, game files, etc.

Hi Jeffrey,

I would be happy to assist you. I regret the inconvenience you are facing with windows 10.

Before proceeding further, I would like to know the information below.

• Is the computer connected to Home group/ VPN network domain?

• Who is the administrator of the computer?

The error message occurs when you do not have an access to the files and folders connect to a network.

I suggest you to refer to the link below, and check if it helps.

Partitions may be missing after installing the Anniversary Update

Hope this helps. Please try these methods and let us know the status. Feel free to write us back in case you face any issue with windows in future.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Aug 18, 2016
  3. After Ann. Update I no longer have access to photos, game files, etc.

All my files are on the same SSD (C:\ ) as the OS (WIN 10).

Here is the window that pops up when I try to access them:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have apprpriate permissions to access the item".

WTH, M$? What have you done to my desktop and all my files?

I look forward to your response,

Jeff

JeffreyMurray, Aug 18, 2016
Thema:

After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games..

1. After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games.. - Similar Threads - Ann Update longer

2. I have no access or permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have no access or permissions: I recently did a recovery on my laptop due to not being able to get below 100% disc usage. My system was barely working at all. After completely wiping everything and reinstalling windows, the disc was STILL having around 85-100% usage. One thing I found searching online is...
  3. I have no access or permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have no access or permissions: I recently did a recovery on my laptop due to not being able to get below 100% disc usage. My system was barely working at all. After completely wiping everything and reinstalling windows, the disc was STILL having around 85-100% usage. One thing I found searching online is...
  4. I have no access or permissions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System doesn't have permission to access system files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System doesn't have permission to access system files: I'm going to post this again, seeing as my last question about this hasn't gotten a response in more than a year of waiting. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 and when I try to run anything as administrator, it shows a network error reading "Windows cannot access [path to...
  6. Do not have permission to access a set of files

in Windows 10 Support
    Do not have permission to access a set of files: There is a set of Jpeg files that I can't get access to. When I attempt to open one the photos app gives me a message saying "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again" I have changed the permissions by going to...
  7. After windows update I don't have permission to access my second HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After windows update I don't have permission to access my second HD: Last night windows updated itself (decided to restart my computer while I was right in the middle of something btw). After it finished when I try to click my second HD it says 'you don't currently have permission to access this folder - click continue to permanently get...
  8. Anniversary Update messed up permissions, no longer have write access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Anniversary Update messed up permissions, no longer have write access: This appears to have been caused by the Anniversary Update that Windows installed last night. Ever since then, my data drive D: has become read-only! Oddly enough, I can still make copies of folders but the copies don't contain any files. When I try to delete the folder, I...
  9. Adobe Reader DC not working after Ann. update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adobe Reader DC not working after Ann. update: When I go to open a pdf or open the Acrobat Reader DC, I get a "Adobe Reader has stopped working............" Was working before the major update. I've tried the Adobe Cleanup uninstaller and reinstalled, still NG. I see a number of posts on the Adobe forum but there...
  10. do not have permission to access this file (pictures)

in Windows 10 Support
    do not have permission to access this file (pictures): Hi all, I've seen old threads similar here but can't seem to find a solution: Windows button> life at a glance> photos.... there are some photos that are blank and the error "It looks you do not have permission to access this file. Check permissions and try again."...