Windows 10: After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games..

Discus and support After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games.. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After updating to the Anniversary Update I no longer have access to my photos, game files, etc. They are located on the same drive (C:\) as WIN 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by boidsonly, Aug 18, 2016.

1. boidsonly Win User

After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games..

After updating to the Anniversary Update I no longer have access to my photos, game files, etc. They are located on the same drive (C:\) as WIN 10. Here is the mssg in the window that pops up:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Any ideas as to what happened? This is really aggravating....

Thanks,
    Jeff

:)

boidsonly, Aug 18, 2016

2. After Ann. Update I no longer have access to photos, game files, etc.

Hi Jeffrey,

I would be happy to assist you. I regret the inconvenience you are facing with windows 10.

Before proceeding further, I would like to know the information below.

• Is the computer connected to Home group/ VPN network domain?

• Who is the administrator of the computer?

The error message occurs when you do not have an access to the files and folders connect to a network.

I suggest you to refer to the link below, and check if it helps.

Partitions may be missing after installing the Anniversary Update

Hope this helps. Please try these methods and let us know the status. Feel free to write us back in case you face any issue with windows in future.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Aug 18, 2016
  3. After Ann. Update I no longer have access to photos, game files, etc.

All my files are on the same SSD (C:\ ) as the OS (WIN 10).

Here is the window that pops up when I try to access them:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have apprpriate permissions to access the item".

WTH, M$? What have you done to my desktop and all my files?

I look forward to your response,

Jeff

JeffreyMurray, Aug 18, 2016
Thema:

After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games..

1. After Ann. Update I no longer have permission to access files, games.. - Similar Threads - Ann Update longer

2. After Windows 10 update I no longer have my pictures or files in Documents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Windows 10 update I no longer have my pictures or files in Documents: After Windows 10 update, I do not have my files in Document & Pictures https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-windows-10-update-i-no-longer-have-my/281ba71d-824d-4320-a55c-2c80404be5fe
  3. You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device

in Windows 10 Support
    You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device: Hello, I am having an issue that I have been working on for weeks now and have been unable to find a solution. It seems out of the blue, my computer has denied me permission to access any and all removable media through usb. All my thumb-drives, all my sd-readers, and two...
  4. You do not have permission to access \\PC123

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You do not have permission to access \\PC123: Hi, I have 4 PCs on my home network of which 2 are running under Win7 and are part of a Home group and 2 running under Win10 that cannot join my Home group. In File Explorer on PCs running under Win7, I can see an icon named Home group. I can access each other PCs running...
  5. Removing account I no longer have access to

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing account I no longer have access to: I have a question regarding a work/school email address. I quit my job two days ago. Today, I was trying to remove that account from my Windows 10 mail app. Since my workplace removed my login access before I quit, I am not able to log in to my account to remove the account...
  6. Computer no longer have internet access after reboot by itself

Computer no longer have internet access after reboot by itself: Hi, my desktop computer loss internet access after reboot itself overnight last week. (Intel core i7-2600 cpu, Windows 10 Pro build 1803, 5/19/2018, OS Build 17134.112, 12 GB RAM, Realtek PCIe GBE family controller). There is a red x mark on the network icon. Windows...
  7. Anniversary Update messed up permissions, no longer have write access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Anniversary Update messed up permissions, no longer have write access: This appears to have been caused by the Anniversary Update that Windows installed last night. Ever since then, my data drive D: has become read-only! Oddly enough, I can still make copies of folders but the copies don't contain any files. When I try to delete the folder, I...
  8. Access Denied. You don't have permission to access "" on this server.

Access Denied. You don't have permission to access "" on this server.: ERROR MESSAGEAccess Denied You don't have permission to access "Steam Community :: Error" on this server.Reference #18.b1f31502.1439008845.47ab9a03 Hello there, I use steam. So basically what's happening is that sometimes, randomly I get this error message because of...
  9. do not have permission to access this file (pictures)

in Windows 10 Support
    do not have permission to access this file (pictures): Hi all, I've seen old threads similar here but can't seem to find a solution: Windows button> life at a glance> photos.... there are some photos that are blank and the error "It looks you do not have permission to access this file. Check permissions and try again."...
  10. I do not have permission????

in Windows 10 Support
    I do not have permission????: I created a new user profile in windows 10 with administrator permission. Now when I try to access a file on drive f, I am denied permission to even open the folder. l hate windows permission, since I am the only one that has access to my computer, is there a way to...