Windows 10: After auto upgrade in July computer stops after 4:02 (50+ data points)

Discus and support After auto upgrade in July computer stops after 4:02 (50+ data points) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The system upgraded in July with latest major update. System works fine except for freezing at a regular time after boot up, four hours and 2 minutes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rckrchrdsn, Aug 22, 2017.

1. After auto upgrade in July computer stops after 4:02 (50+ data points)

The system upgraded in July with latest major update. System works fine except for freezing at a regular time after boot up, four hours and 2 minutes almost exactly with a variance of 2 minutes over 50 observations.

The symptom is the mouse and keyboard becomes unresponsive and only hitting the reset button will bring the machine back. The display is normal. I have a clock on the screen that shows the precise time the system froze. I reboot and record the time at the login screen to get the freeze interval.

If I am actively using the computer at the 4:02 mark, the freeze is delayed. I can delay the freeze in what looks like a one hour interval to five hours but the minutes part is not as precise. If I am using the computer it will freeze if after four hours any time I stop using the computer for more than five minutes. After five hours it may freeze while I am using it between five and a half hours and six hours. This shows first that I click for an action and the busy cursor (rolling circle) stays on. I can move the mouse pointer for about another 30 seconds before even the mouse pointer freezes. I also observe that the second counter on the clock stops.

No system logs are updated. No log entries in Windows events are regular or around the time of the freeze. I have Task Manager up and when freeze hits the processes and other data shown are not unusual as I can see. There is no drive activity. I have had performance data up and no unusual activity that I can see.

:)

rckrchrdsn, Aug 22, 2017

2. Auto-upload photos to SkyDrive stopped working?

Hi,

I have set my Samsung Focus to auto-upload the photos taken to SkyDrive. However, after few months of proper working the phone stopped syncing the photos. Couple weeks ago I upgraded the phone to Mango. After the upgrade, the auto-upload again worked for
    4-5 days, but now it has again stopped working. Anyone has any idea what the problem could be, and what do I need to do to fix it. I have about 50-60 apps and tons of other stuff, so anything short of resetting the phone is welcome.

Manav

Manav Mittal, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Iantaris Win User
    Nokia 5800 Auto rotate not working

I have got the same problem.. After upgrading the firmware from 31 to 50, stopped the auto-rotate working.. I have tried the option mentioned there (switching the Auto-rotate off, turn the device off and on), but without any success.

Is the hard restart an only solution?

Thanks

Matej

Iantaris, Aug 22, 2017
  4. After auto upgrade in July computer stops after 4:02 (50+ data points)

Caledon Ken, Aug 22, 2017
  5. I had been focusing so much on using MSCONFIG for another issue with a laptop and a video issue, that I had not stopped to think about this. Thanks.

I have just followed the articles directions and the experiment stated 8/24 1:10 AM. When I wake up I will up date the thread.

rckrchrdsn, Aug 23, 2017
  6. Try3 Win User
    Is there any relationship between the times the computer freezes & the settings in Power options?

If, just for example, your display should dim or the computer should sleep at the time of the freezing then this would point to a display driver problem. In such a case you'd probably solve it by going to the computer / display card maker's website & getting their latest driver.

Denis

7. Thanks for the question, but that was one of the first things I tried. I have set all the power options to never. Part fo the problem was I could not see the clock because the display would be off. So everything is on all the time and it dies every 4 hours, except when I am using it, and then within 10 minutes of when I stop. Oh, that is keyboard inpu and mouse movement. Playing a video just freezes on time.

rckrchrdsn, Aug 23, 2017
  8. After auto upgrade in July computer stops after 4:02 (50+ data points)

After a clean boot last night, system froze after 1:23. I have seen 5 hours and even 6 but never shorter than 4 before. I am going to run another clean boot later today.

rckrchrdsn, Aug 23, 2017
  9. sorry... and there is nothing listed in Reliability History or the event viewer from say one hour and twenty minutes.

I know this makes computer useless but I think I would run the same test with no network connections at all just to isolate any interactions with router or something calling the mother ship.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 23, 2017
  10. Nothing, Note in any of the log files.

After I run the "reliability" test, I will try running the system without a network connection.

I think I tried Safe mode once, too, but I can't rememmber.

rckrchrdsn, Aug 23, 2017
  11. So ran a second clean boot, this one went 1:39. But that is still far less than the 4:02 I get when I do a full boot. Checked the even logs nothing within 1 hour of freeze.

Next is a clean boot with the network cable removed.

rckrchrdsn, Aug 24, 2017
  12. Clean boot with network cable detached from at 1:33 (hh:mm), so connection to the router isn't an issue

I then rebooted with a normal boot options and the system froze at 5:18 after I stopped moving the mouse and using the keyboard for 5 minutes. (Remember, I can get it to go over 4:02, but I have to be actively using the computer.)

To recap, if I remove all the reboots where I was using the keyboard or mouse over the 4:02 time (5 observations out of 54) the system freezes within +- 2 minutes. If I am over 4 hours and using the computer, it will freeze anytime I am not using the keyboard/mouse for five minutes (4 observations); freezes while using K/M at around 6 hours (2 observations). There are all standard boots.

As per request I have done two clean reboots using MSCONFIG to stop startup programs, Windows freezes between 1:23 (hh:mm) and 1:39. I also did a clean reboot with the network cable disconnected and it failed at 1:33. I then did another reboot with normal start up parameters and it froze at 5:08 because I had to use the computer and then left for around 5 minutes.

So big difference between clean and full start up modes, but very regular in both modes. Logs are pretty clean with no errors or warnings. No event log activity within an hour of freezing.

Note that I did do a restore when this started back in July with the big update. Still got the freezes. Reinstalled update, same freezing pattern. I rolled back the three individual driver updates I could identify, Nvidia driver update, printer update, and a program update. Still same pattern; reinstalled the updates.

rckrchrdsn, Aug 24, 2017
  13. After auto upgrade in July computer stops after 4:02 (50+ data points)

Well this is unusual. Second sentence, last paragraph, you re-installed update. Have you ever done a in place repair / upgrade?

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Even though tutorial says your files are untouched I always recommend a backup. Always good to have and a Plan B is always handy.

Can't understand how there is no activity for at least 1/2 hour before freeze.

Not saying to do this but have you check if there is a newer BIOS for your device. If there is nothing in log is it some how tied to how windows interacts with the basic machine. Seems strange that it would start after an update.

I wonder if Driver Verifier would provide any answers.

Enable and Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 24, 2017
  14. I do have the latest bios on the MB and video card

I do ALWAYS back up before any major changes. I also do backups when I hear that there will be major system upgrades. UNFORTUNELY, before I realized this problem I had over written my last post update mirror drive.

Yes, I have done a roll-back with no issues and reinstalled the upgrade from the MS site using a 8GB flash drive. I will take a look at the instructions you dropped and see if there are any issues. All other functionality seems the same, but maybe I did miss something that might have stopped this freeze.

I will take a look at driver verifier, but I currently use DriverHQ for some years which seems to work better with home brew systems.

Thanks for your help and thoughts, Ken.

rckrchrdsn, Aug 24, 2017
  15. Driver Verifier is most a tester rather than an updater. Myself I do not install the latest and greatest drivers. I'm of the mind set if it ain't broke don't fix it. If I'm experiencing issues then I will update.

Keep the forum posted.

Caledon Ken, Aug 25, 2017
Thema:

After auto upgrade in July computer stops after 4:02 (50+ data points)

1. After auto upgrade in July computer stops after 4:02 (50+ data points) - Similar Threads - auto upgrade July

2. Computer Freezes After Auto Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Freezes After Auto Sleep Mode: A few months back we upgraded the Graphics Card and Hard Drive Upgraded to a GTX 1060 3gb and a 1TB Samsung EVO SSD in my fathers computer in order to speed it up and allow for three 4K monitors to connect. After a while we realized that when the computer would go into its...
  3. Forza Horizon 4 crashing after syncing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forza Horizon 4 crashing after syncing data: Forza is crashing after syncing with my cloud data on PC. It works when I start a new game. Is there some way to get the cloud data fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forza-horizon-4-crashing-after-syncing-data/2ad503e5-79f5-45f4-a7e3-ba1b5e80425b
  4. Blue screen after auto upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blue screen after auto upgrade: After an auto upgrade to my HP Pavillion, I received the blue screen. Tried to reboot and uninstall upgrades. No luck.Tried to backup my computer and received error code 6. Blue screen indicated a stop code error CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. Called HP .We tried a few checks ,C...
  5. Networking stopped after upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking stopped after upgrade: I set up a network so that I could share files between my computers. However, I had an automatic upgrade today and after it had finished I could no longer see my main computer on my other computer, it had disappeared completely and therefore I am no longer able to share...
  6. Surface Pro 4 touchscreen doesn't after Windows 10 update in July

Surface Pro 4 touchscreen doesn't after Windows 10 update in July: I have done almost everything trying to solve the problem of the touchscreen function on my Surface Pro 4 not responding after Windows 10 update in July. Even a clean installation of Windows 10 via boot up from BIOS using a USB stick did not solve the problem. The surface...
  7. After recent W10 upgrade, Epson Artisan 50 printer stops printing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After recent W10 upgrade, Epson Artisan 50 printer stops printing: The desktop PC knows it's there: if I turn it off, it shows Offline and when I turn the A50 back on, it comes back. Ditto for plugging and unplugging the USB cable When I print to it, the Epson Status Monitor comes up briefly as if it were printing, but the A50 doesn't do...
  8. Auto Shutdown Computer after idle period

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Shutdown Computer after idle period: I need some help in creating a task in Task Manager that will automatically force stop programs and shut down the computer after it has been idle for one hour. I have created a task that will shut down at a specific time, but I need something that can run multiple times...
  9. Computer running very slow after auto upgrade -- programs won't open

Computer running very slow after auto upgrade -- programs won't open: Windows 10 auto-updated on my laptop when I spent two days out of town. Now my computer is running 10 times slower! It takes 10 minutes for my apps and programs to open, and I'm constantly getting error messages about files not responding and freezing up. I'm also getting...
  10. After July will the upgrade nagging go away?

in Windows 10 Support
    After July will the upgrade nagging go away?: I've removed and hidden the update that puts the icon on the task bar but it sneaks in sometimes. After July will the nagging for an upgrade go away? 38908