Windows 10: After BSOD Correction, desktop out of whack

Discus and support After BSOD Correction, desktop out of whack in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All, It all started out with getting the BSOD for 'Boot Config. File Missing", "Missing or Corrupted Boot Files", and "Registry File Missing or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by craigmh74, Jun 8, 2017.

1. craigmh74 Win User

After BSOD Correction, desktop out of whack

All,

It all started out with getting the BSOD for 'Boot Config. File Missing", "Missing or Corrupted Boot Files", and "Registry File Missing or Contains Errors." The first 2 were corrected with no issues. After receiving the "Registry File Missing..." error, I did the following: diskpart, created backups of the Software, System, Sam, Security, Default folders. In order for me to do all of this I had to boot from a USB recovery drive. After I completed all of this I was able to access my desktop, but a number of things changed.

1. My display is black (I can't make changes to it).
    2. Usually when I add a new folder in File Explorer, I right click and scroll down to New - Folder. Now, when I scroll down to New - there's no subcategory. It's empty.
    3. The text font is different
    4. I can't access the start menu. When I click on the windows icon (bottom left of screen), nothing happens.
    5. My taskbar used to have several program shortcuts, but now.....none.
    6. I can't do a sfc / scannow When I try, the scan starts but ends quickly
    7. I can't save settings. For example, when I open chrome I'm asked if I want this to be my default browser. I click yes. Still....i'm asked this every time I open Chrome.

Pretty much the only thing that stayed the same were my desktop shortcuts to my applications.

Any suggestions??? I have Windows 10, my display driver is NIVIDIA

Thanks,
    Craig

:)

craigmh74, Jun 8, 2017
  2. NZ_Fuzzy Win User

Meeting times out of whack after traveling to another time zone

Thought I'd jump in here as I have just joined the forum to find the answer to a similar problem.

My handheld calendar entried are all an hour early in comparison to my desktop. Not sure if this is because of problems with my clock settings.

Local DST has just changed it start date and although Vista has dealt with this OK, my iPAQ runnning Windows Mobile 2003 2nd Ed. keeps changing back to the old time every time I sync with the desktop.

Am using Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) for Vista and am trying to find out if I can stop the clocks syncing. My old ActiveSync programme had a "tick" box allowing the option to synchronise (or not) the device clock with the desktop. Is there anything
    like this available on WMDC?

THANKS

Fuzzy
    After BSOD Correction, desktop out of whack [​IMG]

NZ_Fuzzy, Jun 8, 2017
  3. Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jun 8, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Have you viewed the windows advanced troubleshooting menu and tried the various recovery options?
    Either the recovery options on the USB or the recovery options on the computer now that you are back on the desktop?
    Startup repair, reset with save files, restore, system image recovery, command prompt, UEFI firmware settings, go back to previous version, in place upgrade etc.?

zbook, Jun 8, 2017
  5. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. After BSOD Correction, desktop out of whack - Similar Threads - BSOD Correction desktop

2. Desktop display not correct?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop display not correct?: Multiple desktops when adding another desktop the display is not normal. When creating another desktop it doesn't display it correctly as if a corrupted file is there once, I click add on Windows 11?...
  3. Desktop display not correct?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop display not correct?: Multiple desktops when adding another desktop the display is not normal. When creating another desktop it doesn't display it correctly as if a corrupted file is there once, I click add on Windows 11?...
  4. DPC_Watchdog Violation and Driver Whack-a-Mole

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_Watchdog Violation and Driver Whack-a-Mole: I wish this issue was easy to fix. I have the dreaded computer crash/DPC_Watchdog_Violation error happening on a daily basis. The time between crashes and what is running at the time varies with each use. What is most frustrating is that the information the minidump provides...
  5. XBox Install x80073d0d.... This is whacked the you know what out

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    XBox Install x80073d0d.... This is whacked the you know what out: XBox Game Pass lets me choose which drive to install game to. HOWEVER, I keep getting the error code. After some research I found that one might need to change were "New Content" is stored. So I went to Settings/System/Storage/Change where new content is saved/New apps will...
  6. Desktop not displaying correctly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop not displaying correctly: When I turned on my computer, and clicked on refresh the icons disappeared. The screen shows just the desktop background and the Start. There is also white translucent box on the screen that appears on the corner. I restarted it and next time it worked but after shutting down...
  7. What can cause the Send and Receive to be this outta whack?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What can cause the Send and Receive to be this outta whack?: [ATTACH] Anyone have any ideas? https://preview.redd.it/nbmvdpl4yk361.png?width=846&format=png&auto=webp&s=ca20a2a4e847c491bd56f441280c0ba8b7d2fa42 submitted by /u/picasso566 [link] [comments]...
  8. Desktop not working correctly for one user after updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop not working correctly for one user after updates: A couple of weeks ago, after some updates, the computer stated there was a disk error and needed to do some repairs. These were completed and I was able to login and use the computer as normal, no sign of any issues. When another user tried to use it a couple of days later...
  9. Screen display out of whack since latest update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen display out of whack since latest update: Icons on edges and taskbar partially off screen since latest windows 10 update. Tried adjusting screen resolution and scale to no avail. Top of windows that open are also not visible, off the perimeter of the screen. Mouse arrow can go beyond edge to pull windows down....
  10. recently had microsoft 10 reinstalled. pictures from desktop and on USB are out of whack,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recently had microsoft 10 reinstalled. pictures from desktop and on USB are out of whack,...: recently had microsoft 10 reinstalled. pictures from desktop and on USB are out of whack, compressed and blurry. how to fix? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recently-had-microsoft-10-reinstalled-pictures/85becc40-9d62-4281-acca-28da9a59de4d