Windows 10: After general system instability and hourly BSODs, I decided I would rebuild my BCD. When I...

Discus and support After general system instability and hourly BSODs, I decided I would rebuild my BCD. When I... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GoldenSpamfish [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/GoldenSpamfish, Sep 18, 2020.

1. After general system instability and hourly BSODs, I decided I would rebuild my BCD. When I...

/u/GoldenSpamfish, Sep 18, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

How to clean up BCD entries? Rebuild the BCD?

This is normal that under Recovery Environment, The letters are re-assigned. This is why you have to be careful and select the correct one.
    @dictum
    Advice: Never use Easy BCD with Windows installed using GPT disk. Use Easy UEFI instead provided you know what you are doing. Easy BCD only works with MBR disk type.
    Base on the screen shot above. Your disk 0 is your new Windows and your disk 1 contains the old Windows. Disk 3 contains a 512MB Fat32 partition and I don't know what that is. I suggest you disconnect disk 3 for now before proceeding.

Let rebuild new BCD's for both disk 0, and disk 1. Please follow step by step on the 2 screen shots below. On step 3, write down the drive letter for PM981_New. In the screen shot, My Windows is still assigned to C but it might be different from yours. In step 10, if the drive letter is different than C, then use the letter in step 3.

Do exactly the same for disk 1, this time select disk 1 in step 4 and assign letter V in step 7, Use V and the drive letter for Old Windows in step 10. This will create a new BCD for PM981_Old and you will be able to boot separately from boot menu.

From boot menu, select which one to boot from.
    Once booted into Windows. If you wish, you can set up dual boot for Windows old & New. Under This PC, look for the drive letter of the offline Windows and type:
    bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the letter of the offline Windows

After general system instability and hourly BSODs, I decided I would rebuild my BCD. When I... [​IMG]

After general system instability and hourly BSODs, I decided I would rebuild my BCD. When I... [​IMG]

topgundcp, Sep 18, 2020
  3. WayneFulp Win User
    BCD File Rebuild and BIOS

Our IT department updated my pc to 1803 not realizing that I have an X299 motherboard and a Samsung NVME SSD boot drive. I came in the next day to get the BCD File error BSOD with error code 0xc000098 (a known bug but not fixed a year after discovery).
    Our IT department looked up this issue and decided to rebuild my BCD file and was (we thought) successful implementing this solution. My pc then booted from the previous NVME SSD drive. I had migrated my OS from the 256GB SSD to a new 500gb SSD, both NVME.
    No troubles for a year booting from the 500gb disk and now it boots from the old 256gb drive which I did not wipe on purpose. I boot into the UEFI ASUS bios on the pc and the boot order configuration only lists one option for position 1 to 4. Before each position
    listed each bootable device. First of all why in the world would a Windows update and BCD file rebuild screw with the BIOS and second how do I get the proper C: drive boot with to way to change the boot order in the BIOS?

WayneFulp, Sep 18, 2020
  4. dictum Win User

After general system instability and hourly BSODs, I decided I would rebuild my BCD. When I...

How to clean up BCD entries? Rebuild the BCD?

I was able to get into it, except it's called F: and not C: in my case.

Hitting F11 upon boot cycle to get into bootable devices menu results in some bogus devices:

Attachment 251576

and selecting one of the bogus devices results in a unbootable menu choice:

This disk does not exist and I have to hit Control-Alt-delete several times to get back to the boot menu.
    Basically nothing is resolved, I still have bogus entry in the BCD store. Or whatever it's called. NVRAM I think it is.

- - - Updated - - -

as for the second part:

didn't work.

This is what the correct boot entry looks like. The PM981_old entry doesn't boot anything, even though I added it with EasyBCD. That's fine, at least the primary boots (called PM981_new, the highlighted option).

This is an example of a bogus, non-existent entry that I can't delete. The disks it points to don't exist.

Bunch of junk, bogus, non-existent entries, the good one is not even the first one in the list:

For example if I select #1 in the above list, I get this:

and it doesn't go anywhere, can't find the disk since it doesn't exist and I don't know how to purge it out of ther.e

I re-burned the Windows recovery thing onto the flash and able to boot off it again:

dictum, Sep 18, 2020
Thema:

After general system instability and hourly BSODs, I decided I would rebuild my BCD. When I...

1. After general system instability and hourly BSODs, I decided I would rebuild my BCD. When I... - Similar Threads - general system instability

2. io1_initialization_failed after rebuilding BCD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    io1_initialization_failed after rebuilding BCD: after reinstalling the EFI partition bootrec seems to have installed UEFI instead of legacy into the EFI partition which causes windows to give an error io1 initialization failed, i've been trying for hours to get this to work, forcefully booting in legacy mode from a usb...
  3. io1_initialization_failed after rebuilding BCD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    io1_initialization_failed after rebuilding BCD: after reinstalling the EFI partition bootrec seems to have installed UEFI instead of legacy into the EFI partition which causes windows to give an error io1 initialization failed, i've been trying for hours to get this to work, forcefully booting in legacy mode from a usb...
  4. io1_initialization_failed after rebuilding BCD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Regular BSODs and General Instability in PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regular BSODs and General Instability in PC: Hello,Recently I've been experiencing regular BSODs and freezing when using my PC. In hindsight, there was always the occasional BSOD, but I didn't think much of it until they began to occur more recently.The BSODs occur most after running a demanding game but will also occur...
  6. Regular BSODs and General Instability in PC

Regular BSODs and General Instability in PC: Hello,Recently I've been experiencing regular BSODs and freezing when using my PC. In hindsight, there was always the occasional BSOD, but I didn't think much of it until they began to occur more recently.The BSODs occur most after running a demanding game but will also occur...
  7. Problem caused after rebuilding BCD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem caused after rebuilding BCD: Recently I had a BCD boot error code 0xc0000098And I somehow fixed it by watching videos and following guides but ever since then, my pc isn't performing well.My pc is giving me low fps while gaming but it works fine in other areas. Can I know what is causing this to happen...
  8. Problem caused after rebuilding BCD

Problem caused after rebuilding BCD: Recently I had a BCD boot error code 0xc0000098And I somehow fixed it by watching videos and following guides but ever since then, my pc isn't performing well.My pc is giving me low fps while gaming but it works fine in other areas. Can I know what is causing this to happen...
  9. Problem caused after rebuilding BCD

10. i need help in rebuilding bcd windows 10

i need help in rebuilding bcd windows 10: hi guys i had this problem in this morning https://imgur.com/gallery/67pRsbVit seems that I have to rebuild the bcd i tried to do these :BOOTREC /SCANOSBOOTREC /FIXMBRBOOTREC /FIXBOOTBOOTREC /REBUILDBCDbut I had access denied in /fixboot anyway I could boot to the pc with the...