Windows 10: After hardware upgrade can't transfer windows 10 license. Not an OEM key.

Discus and support After hardware upgrade can't transfer windows 10 license. Not an OEM key. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I upgraded a desktop I built a few years ago with a new mainboard/processor and ram. Its been running windows 10 pro for years, I don't remember... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CORE_I7, Oct 16, 2019.

1. CORE_I7 Win User

After hardware upgrade can't transfer windows 10 license. Not an OEM key.

Hi

I upgraded a desktop I built a few years ago with a new mainboard/processor and ram. Its been running windows 10 pro for years, I don't remember where I bought the key from. Possibly Newegg, TigerDirect, Fry's, BestBuy ect ect. I thought the upgrade would be simple as I purchased a full retail license (I don't remember really) because how else would windows be running on a machine I built with no included OS?

Anyways. I used a keyfinder program on my machine before I upgraded. Ran a command to deregister my license with my computer. Installed my new system and attempted to activate with the key. Nadda.

It just says I don't have a valid key. I then click on troubleshoot and it asks what system did I upgrade/change from. I select it and it says error try again or purchase a key.

I don't buy keys from random people on the internet. No ebay. No behind Walmart. Its a valid key I've been running for years. I even remember the packaging it came in. But since I've moved nearly half a dozen times since I left California I have no idea where it is and likely don't have it anymore anyways.

Called Microsoft they are asking for proof of purchase. I said, I don't have it. Can't you see my key that I've been using for years? They said no.

What do I do? This is frustrating as I can pay for the license again but I feel that Microsoft is intentionally making this difficult to squeeze their loyal customers for more cash. I may be wrong but that's what it appears like to me. And I fight those business practices as hard as I can.

help would be GREAT

:)

CORE_I7, Oct 16, 2019
  2. trparky Win User

Potential upgrade to AMD Ryzen

There are two types of Windows licenses...
    • Retail
    • OEM
    Retail licenses of Windows can be legally transferred between hardware because it's a retail license. Upgrade licenses if it was an upgrade from a retail license maintains the same license freedoms that the original license held, Windows 10 upgrade licenses are the only exception to that rule. OEM licenses however cannot be transferred from hardware to hardware. Upgrades from OEM licenses of course have the same restrictions that the original OEM license had.

However, right now Microsoft is still accepting old licenses of Windows as an upgrade to Windows 10. All you have to do is type in your old key and it will accept it. Why Microsoft is still allowing this I have no idea but my thoughts are is that Windows 10 adoption numbers are so damn low that they need all the help they can get. *Laugh :laugh:

trparky, Oct 16, 2019
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Oct 16, 2019
  4. LvxOne Win User

Can I transfer Windows 10 Pro license to another computer?

If the license is retail, then yes you can transfer it.

If the license is OEM, then no, you cannot.

If the license came with your laptop (or you upgraded from the license that came with your laptop), then it is OEM and not transferable.

Source: Windows 10 License Key

LvxOne, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

1. After hardware upgrade can't transfer windows 10 license. Not an OEM key. - Similar Threads - hardware upgrade can't

2. OEM Win 10 license transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM Win 10 license transfer: Hello. 3 years ago I bought a laptop with OEM windows 10 license. 1 year ago I replaced the original HDD with SSD. Now Im thinking about buying a new laptop. My question is: do I need to buy a laptop with preinstalled windows, or is it possible to transfer windows and all...
  3. Transferring Windows 10 license after a hardware upgrade without having access to the old...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring Windows 10 license after a hardware upgrade without having access to the old...: Hi Guys, I have upgraded my hardware some time ago and sold out the the old components already. Can I still transfer the my Win10 license to the new hardware. I have the retail box, the key card etc.Thanks!...
  4. Preserving OEM windows 10 license while upgrading my hardware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preserving OEM windows 10 license while upgrading my hardware: submitted by /u/arsrv [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/krq5mh/preserving_oem_windows_10_license_while_upgrading/
  5. Transferring Win 10 key (OEM)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring Win 10 key (OEM): My rig is self-build and 3 years old. The OEM version of Win 10 was purchased seperately on Amazon and installed by myself. But .... Looks like I have now damaged my motherboard with a BIOS update (interrupt storm) and there's nothing that can be done to fix it and MSI wants...
  6. Transfering Windows Key after Hardware Change

Transfering Windows Key after Hardware Change: Hello, I am trying to transfer a windows 10 education key that was provided by my university from a computer that no longer works to a new computer I am now using, and have a fresh install of win10 education on. I have pulled that key off of the original hard drive it was on,...
  7. windows 10 upgrade license transfer

windows 10 upgrade license transfer: I have a computer that I upgrade to windows 10 about 6 months ago. It has since died. I would like to transfer the license to another computer that has windows 7 on it. How do I transfer the license to the new computer?...
  8. Windows 10 says my license key is invalid after a hardware upgrade

Windows 10 says my license key is invalid after a hardware upgrade: Hello, I upgraded my motherboard cpu and ram succesfully, but now my windows 10 is unable to activate and tells me that my key isn't genuine even though it has worked for the last 4 years now, I have Windows 10 pro form the free upgrade period and never had any porblems...
  9. Unused Windows 10 OEM license transfer

Unused Windows 10 OEM license transfer: Hi, it's a very particular question, I have an OEM license that hasn't been used and I would like to use it on another PC other than that which it was intended for. It has never been activated. My understanding is that OEM licenses can be resold to any PC, until they are...
  10. Transfer OEM key

Transfer OEM key: I have an windows 7 OEM key which I used to activate windows 10 on my old laptop but I got a new one without windows in which I got to activate the old key without any problems. For what it seems, the key is linked to my account. Is it okay to have 2 computers with same key?...