Windows 10: After idle for several hours, computer seems frozen

Discus and support After idle for several hours, computer seems frozen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello,everyone, I recently upgraded my Windows 7 Professional system (custom built) to Windows 10 Professional. The upgrade went beautifully - almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by miaclockman, Nov 19, 2017.

1. After idle for several hours, computer seems frozen

Hello,everyone,
    I recently upgraded my Windows 7 Professional system (custom built) to Windows 10 Professional. The upgrade went beautifully - almost too easy. Things were going great until yesterday (11/18/17). When I went to my home office to work, the screen was black as usual, and I moved the mouse to wake up the display (my power settings NEVER put the PC in sleep or hibernate modes). When the login screen didn't appear, I started pressing cursor keys (both mouse and keyboard are wireless Logitech) and didn't hear drives active or drive light blinking. I ended up having to hard shutdown and reboot.
    I thought that maybe there may be errors on the C:\ drive, so I opened an administrator command prompt and ordered chkdsk c:/f (y on reboot) and chkdsk e:/f (data drive - RAID 1 - chk on reboot) and restarted the PC. As far as I could tell, it didn't find any errors.
    I then checked the power preference settings - NEVER sleep or hibernate, display off after 1 hour inactivity, and all hardware stays active.
    My latest last resort was to open Auslogics Boost Speed and the Registry Check/Repair tool. I created a restore point before "fixing" the multiple errors the program found. I hope this fixes it when I check again in the morning tomorrow (Monday). Has anyone had a similar problem? All drivers are up to date and the windows updates were all installed successfully.
    One final thing to mention (though I don't think it's an issue) - the ASUS motherboard has built-in RAID controllers. I have 2 - 1TB drives assigned as drive E:\ and mirrored (RAID 1) - I'm a redundancy nut, so I also have a WD My Cloud 4TB drive that continuously backs computers on the network up when files are changed, added, or deleted.
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Jeff

:)

miaclockman, Nov 19, 2017
  2. D_A_T Win User

Windows 10 issue: laptop -- after a few hours idle, have to restart

I just downloaded windows 10. I changed the settings so that the computer does
    not shut down/hibernate after x amount of minutes. However, after being idle for several hours, my laptop is still on, but is frozen -- nothing on the screen and will not respond. I must restart it. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?
    I never had this problem with windows 8!

D_A_T, Nov 19, 2017
  3. Qawson Win User
    microsoft edge issue

In my case, it begins to lag when just sitting idle. I thought it was frozen, but eventually it responds after several minutes.

Qawson, Nov 19, 2017
Thema:

After idle for several hours, computer seems frozen

1. After idle for several hours, computer seems frozen - Similar Threads - idle several hours

2. Windows crashes after several hours idle but OK for just 3 or 4 hours idle, mostly taskbar...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows crashes after several hours idle but OK for just 3 or 4 hours idle, mostly taskbar...: Hi,New install of window 10 after motherboard upgrade.after perhaps 5 or 6 hours no exact pattern my PC crashes.If it sits idle for 3 or 4 hours it is fine which seems V.strange to me, never a problem so would have thought anything that was going to sleep or crash would have...
  3. Windows crashes after several hours idle but OK for just 3 or 4 hours idle, mostly taskbar...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows crashes after several hours idle but OK for just 3 or 4 hours idle, mostly taskbar...: Hi,New install of window 10 after motherboard upgrade.after perhaps 5 or 6 hours no exact pattern my PC crashes.If it sits idle for 3 or 4 hours it is fine which seems V.strange to me, never a problem so would have thought anything that was going to sleep or crash would have...
  4. Windows crashes after several hours idle but OK for just 3 or 4 hours idle, mostly taskbar...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer goes to "Install Windows" screen after idle for an hour or so

Computer goes to "Install Windows" screen after idle for an hour or so: Over the last week or two, on many occasions I have left my computer unattended for an hour or so and when I've come back I am greeted with a screen prompting me with options to install windows asking preferred language pack, keyboard layout etc. If I press escape on this...
  6. Computer taking several hours to POST.

Computer taking several hours to POST.: I have been having this issue for a while now. It all started once I began turning my PC off at night instead of leaving it on. I did it for a while, and something happened that led to my PC taking a bit longer than usual to post. At the time, I believe I was on windows 11...
  7. Computer taking several hours to POST.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer taking several hours to POST.: I have been having this issue for a while now. It all started once I began turning my PC off at night instead of leaving it on. I did it for a while, and something happened that led to my PC taking a bit longer than usual to post. At the time, I believe I was on windows 11...
  8. Computer taking several hours to POST.

9. chkdsk not progressing after several hours

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    chkdsk not progressing after several hours: My friend just built a PC for me. While we waited for an SSD to arrive, he installed windows on another of my hard drives so I could begin to copy files to another drive. I placed all of my files and many more on an 18 year old external drive temporarily, and although it was...
  10. If computer is idle for an hour or so, it will not accept inputs

If computer is idle for an hour or so, it will not accept inputs: When I leave my Win 10 idle for an hour or so, it will stop all inputs, so I cannot do anything with it via my mouse or keyboard. I have tried plugging in a second keyboard, but still cannot access it. I have tried changing all of the settings to never shutdown or stop...