Windows 10: after latest update Windows not recognizing external USB SSD Drive

Discus and support after latest update Windows not recognizing external USB SSD Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Windows updated two of my laptops to Evaluation copy. Build 19013.vb_release191025-1609 and now neither of them will work with a Verbatim USB3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by michaelFisher9, Nov 16, 2019.

1. after latest update Windows not recognizing external USB SSD Drive

Hi

Windows updated two of my laptops to Evaluation copy. Build 19013.vb_release191025-1609 and now neither of them will work with a Verbatim USB3 External SSD Drive but a conventional USB3 External Drive still works . The light comes on the Drive and then goes off immediately.

Thanks

:)

michaelFisher9, Nov 16, 2019
  2. JonOff Win User

External SSD not recognized as SSD in Windows 10

Hello community!

(this topic applies to Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 equally)

my question concerns an external 240GB SSD drive connected to my laptop via an USB 3.0 port. The SSD works fine, but when using the "Optimize Drives" utility, the drive is listed as "Hard Disk Drive" under media type. As stated by almost all SSD manufacturers,
    standard defragmentation on a SSD can actually harm the SSD and over time reduce performance and life-cycle. A test revealed that the optimization for the external SSD is actually performed like on a regular HDD and the TRIM command is not used. This would
    also indicate that the regular TRIM commands issued by Windows are not applied to the external SSD drive either. Short of turning off automatic optimization, is there a way to tell Windows that this is an SSD drive and to treat it as such (regardless of
    the information provided by the disk- or case-controller) ?

See also picture attached -

Drive C: is a SanDisk SDSSDXP480GR131 SSD drive built in the laptop and recognized properly as an SSD.

Drive F: is Lite-On LMT-256M6M SSD drive attached via one of the USB3.0 ports and classified as regular HDD.

after latest update Windows not recognizing external USB SSD Drive 4fe8f444-305d-4198-837c-34fbdc8e50d7.png

JonOff, Nov 16, 2019
  3. Windows 10 not recognizing SSD in external drive docking station

I just purchased a WD Blue SSD to replace an existing HDD as the primary drive in my laptop. I have a Nekteck external drive docking station that I am trying to use to clone the primary drive. When I insert the SSD it is not recognized as a drive. If
    I view Devices I can see the dock and I can see that it recognizes the WD drive is in the doc and says the device is working properly. However I cannot get the OS to recognize it as a drive in file manager. It does recognize one of my other HDD drives just
    fine. I appreciate any suggestions.

Chris Szy22, Nov 16, 2019
  4. after latest update Windows not recognizing external USB SSD Drive

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

As already someone asked years ago (External SSD not recognized as SSD in Windows 10) without any positive fix, I'm here to do the same question again.

Why my windows 10 pro x64 v1903, after years of updates/upgrades since the above question (topic) was made, my windows is still recognizing an external SSD as an HDD???

This problem was present in Windows 10 version 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809 and the last one 1903!!

As performance doesn't matter, is not the point, the problem is while optimizing an SSD via dfrgui.exe the OS manage the drive as an SSD and do its job in few seconds, doing the same for an SSD as an HDD is completely different:
    unuseful and harmful for the drive.

How is possible, if it is, to set windows to recognize correctly the drive? If you want a screen shot the one in the mentioned above post is always current

The drive involved, also if I think is not useful for this purpose, is an SSD INTEL DSC2KW256G8 USB 3 plugged in a USB 3 port

Tks in advance

AndreaThe One, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

after latest update Windows not recognizing external USB SSD Drive

1. after latest update Windows not recognizing external USB SSD Drive - Similar Threads - latest update recognizing

2. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  3. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  4. external SSD USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external SSD USB drive: hello community; I have a NEW Dell desktop PC, my OS is windows 10 pro. I have an SSD USB external drive for my backup PC generated important files. Recently when I was about to access the external drive an error box opened in the bottom right corner of my screen which reads...
  5. external SSD USB drive

external SSD USB drive: hello community; I have a NEW Dell desktop PC, my OS is windows 10 pro. I have an SSD USB external drive for my backup PC generated important files. Recently when I was about to access the external drive an error box opened in the bottom right corner of my screen which reads...
  6. external SSD USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized: I have a Verbatim Vx500 external drive that worked fine with Windows 10. But when I plug it in after upgrading to Windows 11 it usually shows as Drive d: in "My Devices and Drives", but greyed out, and when I try to access it says "Please insert a disc in drive d:". Also it...
  8. Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized

Verbatim SSD External drive not recognized: I have a Verbatim Vx500 external drive that worked fine with Windows 10. But when I plug it in after upgrading to Windows 11 it usually shows as Drive d: in "My Devices and Drives", but greyed out, and when I try to access it says "Please insert a disc in drive d:". Also it...
  9. Windows not recognizing External ssd

Windows not recognizing External ssd: [IMG]Hi there, my hp laptop is not working after an update, and Its going to automatic repair loop. So, I removed ssd hard drive. Im using ssd to usb 3.0 enclouser to connect it to another laptop. but the new laptop cant recognize it. its not even showing up in the...
  10. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd not updating windows 1909 recognising as usb