Windows 10: After Latest updates on 1803 Task Manager 'hogs' the focus

Discus and support After Latest updates on 1803 Task Manager 'hogs' the focus in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, The other day my W10 Pro got an new batch of updates and they installed automatically. Before those updates I could simply change windows by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dyslexia4, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Dyslexia4 Win User

After Latest updates on 1803 Task Manager 'hogs' the focus

Hi All,

The other day my W10 Pro got an new batch of updates and they installed automatically.

Before those updates I could simply change windows by clicking in any window and this would bring it to the front.

It still does this, UNLESS I happen to have Task Manager running.

NONE of the windows that happen to be open at that moment can be brought to the front.

Furthermore, nothing is responding in any way, not the icons on the Taskbar, not even Start or closing out (X) a window.

Only closing Task Manager (X) will work and then the other windows and icons become responsive again..

When I don't close out Task Manager at that point, but richt-click the Taskbar (without making any choice!) makes everything 'responsive' again.

So I set out to try and find the culprit.

The updates installed were:

1. 201****03 for x64-based Systems (KB4100347)

Uninstalled updates 1. and 2., tested and nothing had changed.

Uninstalled update 3., tested and my system behaved like before, ie. Task Manager no longer seems to 'hog' the focus and allwindows, icons etc. are responsive again.

Downloaded the WU troubleshooter tool Hide Windows Updates or Driver Updates
    (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-hide-windows-updates-or-driver-updates) 'wushowhide.diagcab'
    to make sure that KB4467702 won't be automatically installed again.

Did I mention my system is free from virus or malware (run background programs for that).

Although I currently prevented the re-installation of this particular update, given that it is a Cumulative Update for Windows I'm sure I'm missing out on certain parts in this update that don't create this problem and should be on the system.

Does anyone have any idea/suggestion why I should get this behaviour after this update.?

Thanks,

Dydlexia

:)

Dyslexia4, Dec 16, 2018
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Dec 16, 2018
  3. task manager not working

Hi,

It's really weird that the task manager stopped working after the latest update on your Windows 10 computer. There might be some files or data that got affected by the latest update. However, we need these information to isolate your concern:

• Is there an error message if you launch Task Manager?
    • Have you tried to check in safe mode if it's the same?
    • Does anything happen if you launch Task Manager?

We're looking forward to your response.

Carlos Tin, Dec 16, 2018
  4. After Latest updates on 1803 Task Manager 'hogs' the focus

task manager not working

No error message.

Same problem in safe mode.

Task manager will not open fully nor stay open it is useless

davidelwonger, Dec 16, 2018
Thema:

After Latest updates on 1803 Task Manager 'hogs' the focus

1. After Latest updates on 1803 Task Manager 'hogs' the focus - Similar Threads - Latest updates 1803

2. Task Manager broken after latest upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager broken after latest upgrade: This morning I updated to W11 build 22621.900 KB5020044. First off, task manager still has no search feature, but a bigger issue is how it looks. If I use Dark Theme, or Light Theme it's okay, but if I mix both themes, task manager's GUI gets broken and the text becomes...
  3. Task Manager broken after latest upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager broken after latest upgrade: This morning I updated to W11 build 22621.900 KB5020044. First off, task manager still has no search feature, but a bigger issue is how it looks. If I use Dark Theme, or Light Theme it's okay, but if I mix both themes, task manager's GUI gets broken and the text becomes...
  4. Task manager resource hog... until

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager resource hog... until: Hi there,I have a Dell 7710 workstation with Win10 pro 64bit, 21H2, 19044.1526, 32gb ram and 3xSSD = 2 TBThe issue is with all programs closed, sitting in idle lid open or closed, after a short time the fans turn on and resources are hogged. If I open task manager the highest...
  5. Task manager resource hog... until

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager resource hog... until: Hi there,I have a Dell 7710 workstation with Win10 pro 64bit, 21H2, 19044.1526, 32gb ram and 3xSSD = 2 TBThe issue is with all programs closed, sitting in idle lid open or closed, after a short time the fans turn on and resources are hogged. If I open task manager the highest...
  6. Task manager resource hog... until

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Latest Windows 10 update broke Task Manager.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest Windows 10 update broke Task Manager.: Task Manager opens, but it's as though all the text except the tabs is in white and therefore invisible. The same is true of the Windows Update area - when click to uninstall updates, a window opens, but there's no text. Is there a fix?Every time there's an update, something...
  8. Task Manager Not Opening After Update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Manager Not Opening After Update.: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Edition. Over the weekend it updated to Windows 10 Insider Preview 21313.1000 (rs_prerelease). When I next used Windows, Task Manager would open then close immediately. I did a virus scan and nothing was found. After rolling...
  9. Task Manager is hogging the CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager is hogging the CPU: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, auto updates. Crapware startup routines disabled except for a couple of printer updaters. Lately I have noticed laggy system performance. I see that Task Manager is hogging the CPU, routinely taking up 15-20% of the CPU. I...
  10. task manager windows 10 version 1803

in Windows 10 Customization
    task manager windows 10 version 1803: When I click on the tab that says start up in the task manager, there are no apps listed to able or disable. Where have they gone?...