Windows 10: After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString

Discus and support After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, we have a strange problem with one of our PCs. Few days after installing Windows 10 2004 the explorer starts to crash when a user logins with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Joachim Emde, Oct 31, 2020.

1. After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString

Hello,

we have a strange problem with one of our PCs. Few days after installing Windows 10 2004 the explorer starts to crash when a user logins with a domain account. With a local account everthing ist fine. Restarting the explorer with the task manager shows for two seconds the taskbar and than the explorer crashes again. The result ist allways a black screen with a mouse cursor. The problem persists also after an inplace upgrade to windows 10 20H2.

Starting the explorer on a directory works fine. I can browse through the filessystem, change options, copy files etc. Only this first explorer process after starting a login session fails.

Theese standard operations where made without an effect:

o sfc /scannow

o chkdsk c:

o DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    o Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml"}
    o Disable all non microsoft explorer extensions

o The event protocoll is empty except the explorer crashes

o Delete alle Icons from the desktop

I loaded a dump of the crashed explorer into a debugger. This ist the information about the function with the failure:

SYMBOL_NAME: shell32!GetFlagsAndCleanIconString+bMODULE_NAME: shell32IMAGE_NAME: shell32.dllSTACK_COMMAND: ~0s ; .ecxr ; kbFAILURE_BUCKET_ID: NULL_POINTER_READ_c0000005_shell32.dll!GetFlagsAndCleanIconStringOS_VERSION: 10.0.19041.1BUILDLAB_STR: vb_releaseOSPLATFORM_TYPE: x86OSNAME: Windows 10IMAGE_VERSION: 10.0.19041.572

This is the top of the stack:

02c7e1fc 7710320d 133e13b2 059e3850 00000000 shell32!GetFlagsAndCleanIconString+0xb02c7e240 771030bd 059e3850 77007ca4 77103070 shell32!IconNameTable::ReadIcons+0x13302c7e260 77102c5f 046d1ef4 059e3850 046d1ee4 shell32!IconNameTable:After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString :Deserialize+0x4d02c7e288 77102b88 046d1eec 059e3850 00000000 shell32!DesktopDictionary:After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString :Deserialize+0x6f02c7e2c8 77102ad7 046d1ee4 059e3850 133e12f2 shell32!DesktopIconLayoutDataModel::Load+0x5802c7e300 7714a108 77004780 77118770 02c7e358 shell32!IconLayoutEngine::ReadStreamFromPropertyBag+0x6e02c7e310 771187c6 133e12aa 00000001 77118770 shell32!<lambda_b437aaf838a5e5024ef9724c3c3cb306>:After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString :eek:perator+0x2902c7e358 74164818 046d1e90 04694f38 10231e04 shell32!CListViewHost::OnSettingsLoad+0x5602c7e394 741644cc 04694f38 10231e54 046d1e90 windows_storage!CViewSettings::_FireLoadEvent+0x5e02c7e3c4 74164339 00000001 74164320 02c7e3f0 windows_storage!CViewSettings::_EnsureViewSettings+0xc7

If I search for the function name in the internet I get no result.

Is there anybody out there who has an idea, what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance

:)

Joachim Emde, Oct 31, 2020
  2. Bundy Win User

Explorer crashing

Thanks Zat. I had never looked at event viewer and it had more info than I thought. Seems the problem was a second computer I was trying to network with. Unplugging the ethernet cable fixed the crashes. Explorer must have been looking in the wrong place I guess.

Bundy, Oct 31, 2020
  3. Windows explore crash when searching

The tenforums link solved this issue for me.

The root cause is a Windows 10 bug where File Explorer crashes when long file names are included in a search result. The steps for the workaround are:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click View > Options
    • Open the View tab
    • Check "Always show icons, never thumbnails"
    • Click OK

The Benjamin Moore, Oct 31, 2020
  4. After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString

Internet Explorer is slow, crashing, freezing

Hi Albert,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter which would tell us the reason behind the issue and check.

Follow these steps to run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Click on search and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

Method 2: Follow the steps suggested in this link and check if it helps.

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Reset Internet Explorer disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature
    might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Method 3: I would suggest you to run
    System Maintenance Troubleshooter
    and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security,
    • Click on System Maintenance and Click on Next button.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString

1. After network login the explorer crashes in function GetFlagsAndCleanIconString - Similar Threads - network login explorer

2. windows update causing screen blink on and off after login, explorer crashing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update causing screen blink on and off after login, explorer crashing.: i applied an update today and now my computer is non functional.when i start up, i get the log in screen, after i enter my pin. the screen flashes on and off repeatedly, i'm unable to click anything. It appears explorer is in a crash loop. I've reset my computer and it's...
  3. windows update causing screen blink on and off after login, explorer crashing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows update causing screen blink on and off after login, explorer crashing.: i applied an update today and now my computer is non functional.when i start up, i get the log in screen, after i enter my pin. the screen flashes on and off repeatedly, i'm unable to click anything. It appears explorer is in a crash loop. I've reset my computer and it's...
  4. Windows crashes after login

Windows crashes after login: My PC starts up fine, I enter my pin, and then Windows crashes. I have restarted many times and every time it does one of these:- black screen with nothing on it. I can move the cursor around but can't do anything.- my desktop is there, but none of the startup programmes...
  5. Windows crashes after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows crashes after login: My PC starts up fine, I enter my pin, and then Windows crashes. I have restarted many times and every time it does one of these:- black screen with nothing on it. I can move the cursor around but can't do anything.- my desktop is there, but none of the startup programmes...
  6. Windows crashes after login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Desktop/File Explorer Crash Loop after Login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop/File Explorer Crash Loop after Login: Had this issue after the Nov update and was able to uninstall the offending update and disable for a month, but now I'm forced to download it and same issue is back. On start-up, logging into windows takes longer than usual. Once the desktop shows up, there is no wallpaper...
  8. Explorer is getting crash and black creen showing. after login to user

Explorer is getting crash and black creen showing. after login to user: stuck on the personalizing window after login user account and showing a black screen. repair, safe mode, recovery, restore point nothing working. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks...
  9. Windows Explorer Crashes when using search function across network

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Crashes when using search function across network: Hello, I have recently been tasked with upgrading my office to Windows 10 Professional from Windows 7. For a few weeks we encountered just minor bugs mostly caused by software compatibility. Recently however, I have found that some computers in the office (not all)...
  10. Crashing seconds after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Crashing seconds after login: Hi Guys, my computer has been acting strange as of 2 days ago. I was initially just browsing the net and everything stopped loading. I thought my internet went out and I shut down my computer thinking nothing of it. I tried starting it up again later that day but it would...