Windows 10: After PC reset keeping personal files games run much slower

Discus and support After PC reset keeping personal files games run much slower in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi,I used the PC reset tool built into Windows 10, through the settings menu, I chose the option to keep personal files because i just wanted to keep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by FinnBoiG, Aug 1, 2021.

1. FinnBoiG Win User

After PC reset keeping personal files games run much slower

Hi,I used the PC reset tool built into Windows 10, through the settings menu, I chose the option to keep personal files because i just wanted to keep the stuff that was already in my computer.Before the reset i also had a virus, that when i launched windows 10 brought me to a webpage, i thought the reset fixed that as it does not do that any more.I think it is the virus making it but how could it be? the virus is made to open a website as soon as you launch windows 10, and it doesnt do thatPlease help as i am very confused,Many Thanks,Finn

:)

FinnBoiG, Aug 1, 2021

2. Game run slower on win10 1803 build.

Hi.

I own dell Vostro 5568 Intel(R) Core(TM) I5-7200U CPU 2.5 GHz 2.7GHz

SSD 255GB and Intel HD 520 - NVIDIA 940MX.

since the last windows update a game I play started to run slower and when I say slower I mean like the character movements are slower like an fps drop.

I got all the updates from dell site also for my graphic card.

I optimized my win10 to max performance.

i added the game to the list in Nvidia control panel and made it to run for performance only.

Power Settings are on Performance as well but game still run slower. it did run better on the 1709 build but I can't go back since I made fresh install of the 1803 build.

any suggestions?

game called mu online.

or hoshkover, Aug 1, 2021
  3. Oniisan Win User
    What does "Keep My Files" keep when resetting PC?

I couldn't edit my previous comment so I just made another one. Sorry for the double post.

I just went with the reset. For future reference, based on my reset, the following list is what's kept in your PC when you reset it with "Keep Personal Files" option.

A. Any files placed in Documents, Pictures, Videos, Downloads, Desktop and other default "personal" directories are untouched.
    B. Wallpaper, User Info, Basic Theme changes (e.g. Theme Color, Start Menu Opacity, etc.)
    C. Bloat files created by the programs you've used (Cache files, Game Saves, leftover directories (Folders), etc.), files in the Recycle Bin and other items YOU made in C:\ including custom start menu shortcuts (Notably left behind are Steam shortcuts).
    D. Anything else that wasn't added via an installer.

Basically, Resetting this way will only remove program files and most of the settings you've done so far. Also, this will uninstall anything that was setup via an installer, regardless of its location. Inversely, portable programs remain untouched. Rainmeter continues to operate after but this might just be because I've moved it around a couple of times. This might be something to note of when doing this sort reset.

THIS WILL NOT CLEAN YOUR PC. I personally am okay with this since I only wanted a clean slate but If you're experiencing problems with viruses and other malicious behavior, I recommend picking the "Remove Everything" option instead when resetting your PC. If you still want to keep your files, running Disk Clean-up after the reset will help.

Hope this will help.

EDIT: Oh, and after you reset Windows will create a list of the programs that were removed from your system. This will be the same list the was show before you actually reset your PC.

Oniisan, Aug 1, 2021
  4. After PC reset keeping personal files games run much slower

Wanting to run old games

Hi Jameson,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check the compatibility of the game with Windows 10.

Explore Windows 10 OS, Computers, Apps, & More | Microsoft

You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if it’s specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Aug 1, 2021
Thema:

After PC reset keeping personal files games run much slower

1. After PC reset keeping personal files games run much slower - Similar Threads - reset keeping personal

2. Copying file is much slower in window 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying file is much slower in window 11.: Copying file is much slower in window 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-file-is-much-slower-in-window-11/4d43cf18-bd97-41ff-8bed-0227255543b4
  3. Keep Personal Files on Resetting Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep Personal Files on Resetting Windows: Hi, My laptop recently crashed every time I play games. Turns out there's a corrupted window file and I decided to reset my Windows. Since I'm a student I want to save absolute everything from my C: driveMy questions are:-1. Do I need to backup or copy my files to another...
  4. Keep Personal Files on Resetting Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep Personal Files on Resetting Windows: Hi, My laptop recently crashed every time I play games. Turns out there's a corrupted window file and I decided to reset my Windows. Since I'm a student I want to save absolute everything from my C: driveMy questions are:-1. Do I need to backup or copy my files to another...
  5. Keep Personal Files on Resetting Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.: I was just using my PC when it suddenly started taking ages to open programs, running games at marginally lower fps than usually. Something else that happened at the same time was that my PC fans which are usually pretty loud became very quiet, but are still running. It...
  7. PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.: I was just using my PC when it suddenly started taking ages to open programs, running games at marginally lower fps than usually. Something else that happened at the same time was that my PC fans which are usually pretty loud became very quiet, but are still running. It...
  8. PC is much slower out of nowhere and fans are much quieter.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Will Resetting Windows (keeping “personal files”) Delete Game Data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will Resetting Windows (keeping “personal files”) Delete Game Data?: It says that apps will be uninstalled, including my games. Will the data files for the games be deleted too? Or will I be able to reinstall the game and keep my data? I want to back it up to another drive but I can’t transfer 500gb in less than a couple hours with this POS...
  10. PC is much slower when unplugged

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC is much slower when unplugged: When I have my PC plugged in, it's running great (I checked in task manager, the clock speed hovers around the high end of 3.xx GHz). However, as soon as I unplug it, performance drops (the CPU speed visibly, immediately drops to around 1 GHz). The PC is still usable when...