Windows 10: After re-install from a USB stick, reverted to Windows Home

Discus and support After re-install from a USB stick, reverted to Windows Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC Alienware/DELL came with Windows 8 I think. While I had a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but I purchased Windows 10 Pro because I like to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TEHuff, Apr 29, 2020.

1. TEHuff Win User

After re-install from a USB stick, reverted to Windows Home

My PC Alienware/DELL came with Windows 8 I think. While I had a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but I purchased Windows 10 Pro because I like to have access to the media to do clean re-installs I'm a developer. I remember it was hassle when I upgraded, it installed Windows Home by default. I posted here and got it worked out eventually.

The current issue is the same: I installed new drives in my PC. Created a USB stick with Microsoft utility, booted it and re-installed Windows. Boots Windows Home. Enter the product code and still it boots Windows Home.

Again, my old drives were booting Windows 10 Pro. I have the media, product code, DVD etc. all say Windows 10 Pro. purchased from Micro Center

Please assist.

:)

TEHuff, Apr 29, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Apr 29, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Apr 29, 2020
  4. SaiZo Win User

Is it possible to run Windows 7 from an USB stick?

No. It will run only on the media center. He wants a 32Gb USB stick to be "sure" all updates, all programs (VLC, Winamp etc.) will fit. The stick will remain in the media center all the time. The local hardware guy suggested Windows 8, but I haven't even tested that as yet. The media center can have harddrives connected to it, perhaps it would fit an SSD, but since he has a 2Tb drive already.. Why get an SSD if it can be run from an USB stick?

SaiZo, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

1. After re-install from a USB stick, reverted to Windows Home - Similar Threads - install USB stick

2. Problems installing Windows 10 from USB stick.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems installing Windows 10 from USB stick.: Hello. I have built a desktop computer, and I am trying to install windows 10 on an M2 disk. I still have my system disk from the previous desktop, but as that is an HDD, I want to get rid of it to reduce ambient noise from the computer. I have created a windows 10...
  3. is it necessary to activate windows after the installation of the usb-stick?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    is it necessary to activate windows after the installation of the usb-stick?: i downloaded windows media creation tool onto my usb-stick. my question now is, if i will install it on my new pc, do i have to activate windows with a key? if so, can i still use windows without having activated it, so just after installation? Muss man windows nach der...
  4. Re-formatting a USB Stick to FAT32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-formatting a USB Stick to FAT32: I need to re-format a USB device in FAT32, my only choice in WINDOWS 10 is NTFS, can you guide me please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-formatting-a-usb-stick-to-fat32/50561bf2-bf57-4d52-9b9f-2e31133c8748
  5. backup drivers from Windows installation USB stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    backup drivers from Windows installation USB stick: I am in the middle of a horrible INACCESIBLE BOOT DEVICE BSOD, and the only good copies I seem to have of drivers I need are the ones from the windows usb installation flash drive. But the response to your command above is: ."Dism does not support servicing Windows PE with...
  6. Remove Windows 10 Installation Media from a USB Stick

Remove Windows 10 Installation Media from a USB Stick: Hi, I used the media creation tool to create the Windows 10 installation media onto a USB flash drive. I no longer need the installation media on the USB but I am unable to delete the files on the stick. I've tried to format the USB drive but it tells me that it is read...
  7. boot from USB stick?

in Windows 10 Support
    boot from USB stick?: Hi All, I just purchased a new windows 10, which came as a USB Flash stick and Im curious if I can use it as an emergency boot USB? in case computer wont boot normally? Thnx! 21792
  8. Re-install Windows from USB stick - UEFI option on boot menu

Re-install Windows from USB stick - UEFI option on boot menu: Hi all, I'm going to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my desktop system as I want to give it a good clear-out. I've created the Windows 10 boot media on a USB stick, and this is what I see on the UEFI BIOS F8 boot menu: [img] Previously on this system when...
  9. Installing Windows 10 Pro from USB Stick

Installing Windows 10 Pro from USB Stick: Hi, So, I can't find anything online about this, and I hope someone here can help! I'm building my own PC from scratch, and I want to install Windows 10 Pro, I bought the key and everything seemed OK. When I installed the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft...
  10. boot problems after clean install from usb stick to SSD

boot problems after clean install from usb stick to SSD: I bought a new 250 GB SSD and wanted to perform a clean install of windows 10. I installed windows from a USB stick and all seemed to go well until installation finished and I attempted to reboot removing the usb stick after first changing bios to boot from SSD. It wont boot...