Windows 10: After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices"

Discus and support After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After the last 2 Windows 10 updates my network computers are only listed on the network as "media devices". How do I correct this? thanks, Denis... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DenisRigdon, Oct 6, 2018.

1. After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices"

After the last 2 Windows 10 updates my network computers are only listed on the network as "media devices". How do I correct this?

thanks, Denis

:)

DenisRigdon, Oct 6, 2018

2. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi.

R is new, an Asus SonicMaster S510U that is recognized by the router. It has internet connectivity but I cannot transfer files to it except with sneakernet.

I looked at the network structure on each computer using "Control Panel devices and printers" as well as File mgr - Network.

D- devices: D and E listed as media devices, no computers, D does not see R.
    D- Network: D and E listed as media devices. Dbl click either brings up Media Player.

E- devices: D and R listed as media devices.
    E- Network: D and E listed as computers and D again as a media device.

R- devices: D and E show up as media devices.
    R- Network: R as a computer and D as a media device.

The new laptop R is a ghost, sometimes seen but mostly not and doesn't participate.

Using Team Viewer 12
    D and E connect, test file transfers OK.
    D and R connect, I can see partial R desktop (shows links but not folders), R sees D file structure, files will not transfer.

Don't know if this matters - I ran the Network troubleshooter on all three computers - "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings", on any of them.

I'm a geologist at wits end.

stonecherub, Oct 6, 2018
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Oct 6, 2018
  4. RCoon Win User

After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices"

Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Oct 6, 2018
Thema:

After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices"

1. After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices" - Similar Threads - recent updates network

2. Strange computers' names are listed on my "network infrastructure" and "other devices" in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange computers' names are listed on my "network infrastructure" and "other devices" in...: Hello all, When open "File Explorer" and select "Network" I find strange computers' names are listed in my "network infrastructure" and "other devices" in "Network". This happened after I was notified by my computer that my network is shared by other computers. I stopped...
  3. Windows 10 Media Player 'cast to device' will only play the first song on the play list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Media Player 'cast to device' will only play the first song on the play list: When I 'cast to device' a multi song play list it will only play the first song on the list. The controls in the 'cast to device' window are shaded out except the repeat and stop buttons....
  4. Network Drive opens as Media Device only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Drive opens as Media Device only: *I'm sure this is an answered question. a link will suffice. thanks. I'm banging my head on the desk to some degree; I have followed all of the official steps to share a drive on the network (sans 'home group'), PC#1 shares a drive, and PC#2 can see it, and open it. But only...
  5. Windows doesnt list network computers and NAS devices

Windows doesnt list network computers and NAS devices: Hello, I've been struggling with this problem quite some time now (more than one year). Windows 10 Pro 1903 In my Windows "Network Places", I don't see any other computer than my own and router. It is a home network so it is a private network. Sharing is enabled. I did...
  6. Unknown device in network listing

Unknown device in network listing: I noticed a device that I did not recognize in my file explorer Desktop/Network The device named TB-EGARNER (my computer is Simone) Is this familiar to anyone and should I be concerned? [IMG]...
  7. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

Computer appears on network only as Media Device: I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers only the desktop...
  8. Windows 10 update changed network Computer to Media Device

Windows 10 update changed network Computer to Media Device: A recent Windows reinstall on a laptop on July 3, 2018 changed the desktop computer to two Media Devices (for separate users). How do I delete the Media Devices and connect tot he desktop?...
  9. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!: Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi. R is new, an Asus SonicMaster S510U that is recognized by the router. It has internet connectivity but I cannot transfer...
  10. Computer not listed on 'network'

Computer not listed on 'network': Hi Everyone I'm fairly new to windows 10 - so forgive me if the following has been asked a thousand times before.*Redface I have have three computers which are networked (1x 64 bit windows 10 Pro- 1x32 bit windows 10 Home Premium + 1x 32bit windows 7 Home Premium.) The...