Windows 10: After recent Windows 10 updates, my external monitor no longer works

Discus and support After recent Windows 10 updates, my external monitor no longer works in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 2 old laptops, using VGA to HDMI converter. Both worked fine before the update but now there is no signal coming from VGA port on either one.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JoeStevens375, Jun 9, 2019.

1. After recent Windows 10 updates, my external monitor no longer works

I have 2 old laptops, using VGA to HDMI converter. Both worked fine before the update but now there is no signal coming from VGA port on either one. I've updated video drivers (and tried older drivers but it doesn't seem like they were updated with the Windows update), changed cables and made sure the external monitor (a TV) was working from another computer. Converter device is working properly, tested from another computer that hasn't been upgraded.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

:)

JoeStevens375, Jun 9, 2019

2. Windows 10 upgrade: can no longer connect to an external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the external monitor in Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

As you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps, let us know the following to assist you better:

• What exactly happens when you try to connect to the external display?
    • Were you able to see the light on the external monitor (Tuned on/ not)?
    • Is there any error message with this issue?

Step 1: As this may look very silly, I suggest you to check if the turned on or not, if it is on let us know the color of the light displayed.

Step 2: I suggest you to remove all the external devices except mouse and keyboard and try to perform clean boot to check if there is any issue with the device and to avoid any third party software conflict.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot
    state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jun 9, 2019
  4. varobc01 Win User

After recent Windows 10 updates, my external monitor no longer works

Windows 10 - External Monitor No Longer Working

I upgraded my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro last week without issue to Windows 10 (yay!). Today upon shutting down and restarting my machine between meetings, the external connection to my monitor no longer is working and the USB3 connection for touchscreen on the
    external monitor is no longer recognized. Nothing had changed on my machine from between when it was working and now. I tried re-installing the latest display drivers for Windows 10 on Lenovo's website and there is no change. I uninstalled the display driver
    hardware in Device Manager and refreshed it without success. What's going on?

varobc01, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

After recent Windows 10 updates, my external monitor no longer works

1. After recent Windows 10 updates, my external monitor no longer works - Similar Threads - recent updates external

2. Main monitor no longer working after windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Main monitor no longer working after windows update: This morning I updated my pc but after coming back this afternoon it no longer recognizes my main monitor, only the second one. I've checked the cable, reinstalled drivers, reset the gpu, made sure the extend monitor setting is selected and more, yet my pc will no longer...
  3. Main monitor no longer working after windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Main monitor no longer working after windows update: This morning I updated my pc but after coming back this afternoon it no longer recognizes my main monitor, only the second one. I've checked the cable, reinstalled drivers, reset the gpu, made sure the extend monitor setting is selected and more, yet my pc will no longer...
  4. Mouse no longer working after recent windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse no longer working after recent windows update: After the most recent update windows no longer detects my mouse. I cannot see my cursor.I know that my mouse and usb work fine as I used them on my laptop without issue. The USB ports on my pc are also functioning perfectly. I am sure that the update itself is the issue...
  5. Mouse no longer working after recent windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse no longer working after recent windows update: After the most recent update windows no longer detects my mouse. I cannot see my cursor.I know that my mouse and usb work fine as I used them on my laptop without issue. The USB ports on my pc are also functioning perfectly. I am sure that the update itself is the issue...
  6. Mouse no longer working after recent windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. External Monitors not working after windows update

External Monitors not working after windows update: I updated windows and now monitors wont work and aren't detected in settings. I've tried "windows button + P" to extend. I've tried scanning for driver updates in device manager. I've tried rolling back driver updates but its greyed out. Ive tried restarting, unplugging, etc....
  8. After Windows Update: External Monitors no longer work thru USB ports.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After Windows Update: External Monitors no longer work thru USB ports.: The last 6 months every has been working fine. I have an USB-C Hub that I use to connect my two external monitors with HDMI. Last night, I updated my Nvidia RTX 2060 drivers and all was good. Had a Windows Update that required a restart and everything was fine. Upon waking up...
  9. Second Monitor not working after recent update

Second Monitor not working after recent update: Hi, I recently plugged in a old NEC LCD1715 monitor, I had laying around for dual screens. I needed a vga to usb port adapter for my HP Omni100 PC desktop in order to plug the monitor into my computer. I installed the driver that came with the adapter and my windows 10...
  10. Monitor no longer works after windows update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Monitor no longer works after windows update.: My acer kg251q 240hz monitor is no longer detected after the windows update. I have tried the following: system restore, it blue screened on startup, I also tried a different display port cable, and a clean install of the graphic drivers....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop lenovo thinkvision error after update windows 1903

2. windows 10 updated and monitors anywhere no longer works